• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big Bang is far, far worse than Friends. Friends essentially worked because, for all its clichés, it had bucket loads of talent in its cast.

grecian

Big Bang is far, far worse than Friends. Friends essentially worked because, for all its clichés, it had bucket loads of talent in its cast.
TBH, actually think the cast of Big Bang could be more talented, Parsons and Hellberg are better actors in other things than any of the Friends cast IMHO.

They're the same thing though as shows, lots of jokes with a likable cast, but ran out of ideas after about 2 series, maybe less.

Not sure why Seinfeld got thrown in the convo, I'm not it's biggest fan, but it was doing something different and subversive and had the good grace to bow out on top. Mind you it went on too long IMHO too.

I disagree with Fred I think the Yanks to do some great sit-coms nowadays, but it's not generally the networks, it's the ones with a harder edge. Curb, Sunny, Louie, Veep.

Not sure us Brits have made a decent one since "peep Show" and that outstayed it's welcome too.

Anyway to summarize only gifs from things I like should not get you banned.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Friends was good when you're kind of immature and watch it in college, but that's about it. Doesn't hold up to second viewing.

The Big Bang Theory is an absolutely fantastic show, and you can laugh at the jokes over and over again. I have no idea how people can dislike it or compare it unfavourably to Friends. Parsons, Hellberg, the guy who plays Stuart and the actress playing Bernadette are all fantastic actors. I find the script to be terrific, and while people moan about the canned laughter, it doesn't really bother me all that much. The first 5-6 seasons are really solid, and I've watched them more than once.

Maybe I just have **** taste.

harsh.ag

Curb is incredible. Sensational writing. Larry David outdid himself. Better than Seinfeld.

Sunny is obviously great, but it can get tiresome after a while with so much madness.

indiaholic

International Captain
Friends was good when you're kind of immature and watch it in college, but that's about it. Doesn't hold up to second viewing.

The Big Bang Theory is an absolutely fantastic show, and you can laugh at the jokes over and over again. I have no idea how people can dislike it or compare it unfavourably to Friends. Parsons, Hellberg, the guy who plays Stuart and the actress playing Bernadette are all fantastic actors. I find the script to be terrific, and while people moan about the canned laughter, it doesn't really bother me all that much. The first 5-6 seasons are really solid, and I've watched them more than once.

Maybe I just have **** taste.

Yep, you just have **** taste. :p

harsh.ag

And I didn't mean to say the Big Bang cast isn't as talented as the Friends cast. Big Bang's writing is just rubbish, especially after the second season.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, you just have **** taste. :p
I also like Avatar FTR. And Titanic. And can't stand The Dark Knight or any of the superhero movies. There was an unpopular opinions thread here, right? :p

I do find TBBT characters far easier to relate to than Friends ones. Maybe that's why. And come on, the writing isn't rubbish by any means. What kind of standards do you guys have while watching sitcoms FFS? They're meant to be fun. :p

Last edited:

grecian

On topic.........can the mods ban all the ****s talking about sit coms in this thread.
TBH if it did stay on-topic and there was a lot of posts it would probably be locked soon as most of these threads are.

cnerd123

likes this
I also like Avatar FTR. And Titanic. And can't stand The Dark Knight or any of the superhero movies. There was an unpopular opinions thread here, right? :p

I do find TBBT characters far easier to relate to than Friends ones. Maybe that's why. And come on, the writing isn't rubbish by any means. What kind of standards do you guys have while watching sitcoms FFS? They're meant to be fun. :p
The TBBT writing was awful after like the 3rd or 4th season. The characters lost all nuance and depth and it became the same set of gags and the same punchlines repeated differently. If you find those funny, I can see how the show still holds its appeal. To me, the repitition and predictability made me bored. It's no longer funny if you know what the punchline is going to be.

Friends was amazing not just because it created/perfected a lot of the tropes we associate with modern day sitcoms, but it also had genuinely good character development and storylines that arched over many seasons. Some real great twists too.

TBBT actors aren't bad but they aren't working with the same kind of material the Friends crew did.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Every sitcom mentioned here is bull****. There is only one good sitcom and it's name is Arrested Development.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Friends was fine most of the time. Was really really good a lot of the times and genuinely great a few times. TBBT was really good through till around season 7 but I think the last two seasons they are just splitting scenes between Howard's house and Leonard's apartment, dunno if its for economy reasons, but the show has really gone down the drain since season 8 AFAIC. All sitcoms after a period of time tend to kinda overdo their own tropes and fall into buying their own hype a little bit but of all the sitcoms I have watched, Friends did it the least.

And sitcoms are good, **** s... Its nice to see and laugh at stupid things but within a story, plot and character continuity.