• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First unread post issue

James

Cricket Web Owner
This is annoying. I'm getting a Message Page everytime I click on "New Posts" and it makes using New Posts take twice as long (loads the Message Page before loading New Posts). I assume it's changing this setting which has created this annoying new screen.
Sorry about that Heath, is now switched back to the way it was before. It hasn't made any difference to this problem, so no need for it to be set.

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
Also will check this later but so I don't forget:

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> Site Name / URL / Contact Details >> Forum Component URL

Should be empty/blank (i.e., do not set unless you have to - reported bug with some vB4 versions and first unread

James

Cricket Web Owner
Also will check this later but so I don't forget:

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> Site Name / URL / Contact Details >> Forum Component URL

Should be empty/blank (i.e., do not set unless you have to - reported bug with some vB4 versions and first unread
Yes it is blank.

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
Try this:

Login Required - vBulletin JIRA

or some reason go to first unread post no working on IE9 and Opera 11.50
when use Standard URLs
Enforce Canonical URL is set to Standart or Strict.
when Enforce Canonical URL option set to off - work as designed. Example (not working):
when click on 'go to first unread post'
URL look like this
http://www.forum.com/showthread.php?t=48178&p=1599607[SUP][/SUP]
missing anchor #1599607
working :
when Enforce Canonical URL option set to off URL look like this
http://www.forum.com/showthread.php?t=48178&p=1599607#post1599607[SUP][/SUP]

-------------------------

Confirmed. When using Standard URLs and Enforce Canonical URLs is enabled, post anchors are being stripped from links (so for example also from the go to last post link).

It is related to 6101.
Basically when the page is being re-directed, its losing the anchor.
FF seems to be quite clever in that it remembers the anchor, and adds it back again after the redirect. IE and others are not so clever, and so they fail.

-------------------------------

Doesn't entirely explain why it works on some forums and not on others but give it a try.

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
One more diagnostic to run:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

Does this highlight any core vBulletin files that are not obviously related to an add-on product or plugin?

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
And:

Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates.
Set it so that it's available for members to use (temporarily) so I can access it please.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Try this:

Login Required - vBulletin JIRA

or some reason go to first unread post no working on IE9 and Opera 11.50
when use Standard URLs
Enforce Canonical URL is set to Standart or Strict.
when Enforce Canonical URL option set to off - work as designed. Example (not working):
when click on 'go to first unread post'
URL look like this
http://www.forum.com/showthread.php?t=48178&p=1599607[SUP][/SUP]
missing anchor #1599607
working :
when Enforce Canonical URL option set to off URL look like this
http://www.forum.com/showthread.php?t=48178&p=1599607#post1599607[SUP][/SUP]

-------------------------

Confirmed. When using Standard URLs and Enforce Canonical URLs is enabled, post anchors are being stripped from links (so for example also from the go to last post link).

It is related to 6101.
Basically when the page is being re-directed, its losing the anchor.
FF seems to be quite clever in that it remembers the anchor, and adds it back again after the redirect. IE and others are not so clever, and so they fail.

-------------------------------

Doesn't entirely explain why it works on some forums and not on others but give it a try.
What do I need to change here? I don't really understand it.

James

Cricket Web Owner
One more diagnostic to run:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

Does this highlight any core vBulletin files that are not obviously related to an add-on product or plugin?
Done, and sent to you.

James

Cricket Web Owner
And:

Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates.
Set it so that it's available for members to use (temporarily) so I can access it please.
Already done actually, and available as "Default vbulletin" :)

djbaxter

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for clarifying :)

URL Type was Standard.

Enforce Canonical URL was set to Yes, is now set to No.
Holy cow! This seems to have worked, James. I have just tried it in Firefox, IE10, and Safari and it is now working as it should for me.

Can you ask your members to try and ask them to report back?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Holy cow! This seems to have worked, James. I have just tried it in Firefox, IE10, and Safari and it is now working as it should for me.

Can you ask your members to try and ask them to report back?
Yes, that seems to have done the trick! Magic! One of the members has tested and told me all appears to be good now.

Let's give it a couple of days and see if anything comes up though :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
It seems to be working for me as well James. I'll post here if I notice another issue. Thanks!

James

Cricket Web Owner
It seems to be working for me as well James. I'll post here if I notice another issue. Thanks!
Good to hear Fusion, and the fix is all down to djbaxter :) Where vbulletin and vbseo support both couldn't be bothered helping, he very kindly saw this through to a solution for us.