• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ever since I started posted regularly in it again :ph34r: Or, more seriously, perhaps ever since this thread started and people started keeping it in mind. Perhaps that's all it takes.
Nah that's horse ****. As if people consciously have this thread in mind.

The quality of discussion yesterday was perfectly normal for CW, and that was because there was one English fan in particular who wasn't as prevalent as he normally is. Had nothing to do with this.

Absolute overreaction #8923. Boo hoo the standard of tour threads go down. It's CW, I've been around long enough to know what goes around comes around and it goes in cycles. You'll find that some of the people complaining the most about it are the people who actually never contribute any cricket related analysis whatsoever, and complain when someone does analyse it and they don't like what they hear.

Spark

Global Moderator
...you mean PEWS and I?

Look, I really don't want to bring up individual posts, but I could very easily and it's very little to do with what you're talking about.

benchmark00

...you mean PEWS and I?

Look, I really don't want to bring up individual posts, but I could very easily and it's very little to do with what you're talking about.
No I'm not talking about PEWS and you.

And I could bring up individual posts just as easily and it would illustrate my point perfectly.

Spark

Global Moderator
Perhaps you could, but they wouldn't be what I was concerned about.

If you wanted a succint description, it's people taking **** too seriously.

benchmark00

Perhaps you could, but they wouldn't be what I was concerned about.

If you wanted a succint description, it's people taking **** too seriously.
Nah that seems like the opposite of what you have said are the issues (well, PEWS at least, and I assume you two have the same issues).

It's been said the problem is that people are coming out and calling people **** by only seeing one match/session/whatever. So what you're now saying is that that's not the problem, it's the people who have a problem with that and not laughing it off is the problem?

I would be more inclined to agree with PEWS and say that the former is a problem, but it's not actually a problem, because **** ****s with **** opinions who know nothing about cricket have always existed. I mean ****, there are several of them who have the top ten posts on CW, so it's not exactly new.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah that seems like the opposite of what you have said are the issues (well, PEWS at least, and I assume you two have the same issues).

It's been said the problem is that people are coming out and calling people **** by only seeing one match/session/whatever. So what you're now saying is that that's not the problem, it's the people who have a problem with that and not laughing it off is the problem?

I would be more inclined to agree with PEWS and say that the former is a problem, but it's not actually a problem, because **** ****s with **** opinions who know nothing about cricket have always existed. I mean ****, there are several of them who have the top ten posts on CW, so it's not exactly new.
Look, I didn't really think this was worth a thread here. There's every chance it'll subside, and I don't think we actually need to 'do' anything about it - certainly not yet anyway. We can't be the opinion police, but it doesn't mean the standard of discussion is always at a constant. If everyone from PlanetCricket joined up here at once and started posting in all the tour threads it'd be a shambles for example, and I think it boils down to the fact that people are posting rubbish and it's souring the quality and the atmosphere of the threads. It's certainly something I think has become worse lately, so when the thread was created I couldn't help but agree.

benchmark00

Look, I didn't really think this was worth a thread here. There's every chance it'll subside, and I don't think we actually need to 'do' anything about it - certainly not yet anyway. We can't be the opinion police, but it doesn't mean the standard of discussion is always at a constant. If everyone from PlanetCricket joined up here at once and started posting in all the tour threads it'd be a shambles for example, and I think it boils down to the fact that people are posting rubbish and it's souring the quality and the atmosphere of the threads. It's certainly something I think has become worse lately, so when the thread was created I couldn't help but agree.
Worse than what though? Worse than the England/India series for example? Not a chance in hell.

And tbf, if everyone from PlanetCricket joined up to Cricsim and started posting it would improve the quality, let's be honest.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Worse than what though? Worse than the England/India series for example? Not a chance in hell.
The England/India series was annoying because it was full of bickering, but I find that a lot less annoying than reactionary and disingenuous cricket-related posts because I can tune it out and/or moderate it. And the tour threads of late have certainly been worse on that front IMO.

benchmark00

The England/India series was annoying because it was full of bickering, but I find that a lot less annoying than reactionary and disingenuous cricket-related posts because I can tune it out and/or moderate it. And the tour threads of late have certainly been worse on that front IMO.
So you and Spark don't have the same concerns? Confusing tstl.

If you think people are saying things that they don't mean just to piss off someone else, infract them. And that's what you're implying because you've labelled them as disingenuous.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I think I'm just doing an appalling job of saying what I actually think. PEWS can take over.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So you and Spark don't have the same concerns? Confusing tstl.

If you think people are saying things that they don't mean just to piss off someone else, infract them. And that's what you're implying because you've labelled them as disingenuous.
I don't think they really do it to piss someone off though; I think they do it to push the barrows of their own supported team/players. I don't think that's really trolling as such.

I do share some concerns with Spark but I think we prioritise them a bit differently. The issue I'm bringing up is making the tour threads poorer in standard, but I think Spark is more concerned about the fact that the atmosphere in them in often really tense these days with people trying to win long-standing feuds and arguments rather than using the threads to enhance the experience of watching the game. Tour threads are at their best when it's like watching the game with a group of mates who happen to know the game really well, but they've increasingly become less like that and more like a warzone. The issues are connected because this tense atmosphere is what has led to a lot of the reactionary and disingenuous posts IMO, but I think the atmosphere problem is something that goes back quite a while now, to (at least) the "Road to India in England" pre-tour thread.

Last edited:

benchmark00

I don't think they really do it to piss someone off though; I think they do it to push the barrows of their own supported team/players. I don't think that's really trolling as such.

I do share some concerns with Spark but I think we prioritise them a bit differently. The issue I'm bringing up is making the tour threads poorer in standard, but I think Spark is more concerned about the fact that the atmosphere in them in often really tense these days with people trying to win long-standing feuds and arguments rather than using the threads to enhance the experience of watching the game. Tour threads are at their best when it's like watching the game with a group of mates who happen to know the game really well, but they've increasingly become less like that and more like a warzone. The issues are connected because this tense atmosphere is what has led to a lot of the reactionary and disingenuous posts IMO, but I think the atmosphere problem is something that goes back quite a while now, to (at least) the "Road to India in England" pre-tour thread.
It's a case of a couple of bad apples spoiling the bunch. There's no need for a thread like this because as I said, these things come and go. Nothing wrong with yesterday's discussion and I haven't been home today to see what's doing with todays. As I said, it's a massive overreaction and I tend to think I know the motives but that's for another day.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, because I want to hear what people have to say on this, and I guess the other mods agree. This isn't really something we can 'fix' from above.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well shouldn't a thread like this be moved to the mod forum?
seems the best move, I think flibbertyjibbit has calmed down now, and I think that could have been achieved with a quiet word in his shell-like, not this pantomime. I've quite enjoyed the thread for what it's worth, nothing like the hell of England-india. Or some of the England-Pakistan ones down the years.

benchmark00

Nah, because I want to hear what people have to say on this, and I guess the other mods agree. This isn't really something we can 'fix' from above.
Well you can if you wanted to, just hand out more forum atmosphere infractions.

There are alot more pressing matters relating to posting habits than tour threads. Tour threads should be the last thing on the agenda with respect to that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The points that people feel needed to be made have been, I think that we can close this thread while it can still be argued that it's been constructive.

EDIT: that's more in reference to past SD threads than anything that people have said in here, ftr. No need to get into nitpicking on posts and threads and stuff, which will only begin to-and-fros.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.