• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Exactly. I'm making of it this way:

- There was one poster who was absent from the discussion on day 4 who wasn't absent the other days.
- This is an overreaction
Looking back, there were a couple of idiots who decided to come in and declare England's bowling attack rubbish based on one innings, but it certainly didn't over-take the thread. I enjoyed my posting there on Day 4.

I know what you mean, but it wasn't just that; it was really widespread on the first three days amongst several different posters, and it's becoming an increasing trend.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It should be noted that this discussion started between two Australians on MSN after Day 1. England were 267/3 and a lot of the "problem" posters we identified were in fact English fans. It certainly isn't reserved to English fans, but this isn't a complaint that's come from their inability to accept that they're hated or that they're losing this game or whatever. People can assume all they like about the nature of this thread because Furball started it, but that's not where this is coming from. You yourself noted, just before seeing this thread, that the posting on Day 1 was very poor. I think what we saw on Day 1 in that thread was has been an increasing trend and it's made the quality of the threads much worse.
Then people should play the post and not the poster.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You yourself noted, just before seeing this thread, that the posting on Day 1 was very poor.
That's because some bloke was saying Philander was **** and all his previous results were against minnows. But he's hardly the first to make such a statement and he certainly won't be the last.

Some of the stuff that has been aimed at Indian cricketers and basically re-writing their records is dross and it bugs me. If I was an English fan, people trying to come after Broad or Anderson all the time to try and act like they're **** would bug me too. In general it is annoying as a neutral, and its even more annoying if you really like those players.

But this **** was happening 12 months ago. But a few people here think its worse now than it was then. I respectfully disagree.

flibbertyjibber does England fans no favours though, just like a few Indian trolls did Indian fans no favours 12-18 months ago.
AFAIK everyone that's posted in this thread was already making these complaints before England fell apart in this match.
Its not about England doing **** in this test, and I haven't said that at all. Its about people taking pleasure in Samuels or Tino Best scoring a ton and then trying to say England's bowling is **** from that. It happened in a SL test too recently. People just want to cut England down. Its tall poppy syndrome, but its not unique to them but they're copping it because they're the best team right now. Hence England threads will be littered with more criticisms than some other series right now.
The South Africa tour thread has been dross since before this match started. My problem with it has absolutely nothing to do with what's been happening on the cricket field and everything to do with how utterly crap the standard of discussion has been.
You haven't been specific enough. Just call the posters out or at least just the posts.
It should be noted that this discussion started between two Australians on MSN after Day 1. England were 267/3 and a lot of the "problem" posters we identified were in fact English fans. It certainly isn't reserved to English fans, but this isn't a complaint that's come from their inability to accept that they're hated or that they're losing this game or whatever. People can assume all they like about the nature of this thread because Furball started it, but that's not where this is coming from. You yourself noted, just before seeing this thread, that the posting on Day 1 was very poor. I think what we saw on Day 1 in that thread was has been an increasing trend and it's made the quality of the threads much worse.
What happened on day 1 is flibbertyjibber got ahead of himself and started boasting and it pissed people off so they replied to him and it derailed from the cricket.

Am I missing some other stuff that happened?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Jono, as the instigator of this whole thing via MSN convos and a rather bluntly entitled thread elsewhere that I made, I don't think it's tall poppy syndrome at all because many of the posters who I hold primarily responsible for what I see as a decline are strongly pro-English. I'm not going to name names in public for blatantly obvious reasons, but I think you're missing the point here.

It's not even just people acting like one or two players are **** based on a **** session - it's a part, but only a part of what I see as the problem. It's more a tone problem I mean that stems from people taking themselves and the discussion far too seriously than it needs to be taken.

Granted, India-England was poor but even then I never got the feeling that no one was actually trying to enjoy the cricket (with some exceptions), which was my overriding feeling on and before Day 1. I won't comment much on Days 2 and 3 because I wasn't present as much, but what I read didn't change my mind.

This is not a conclusion I came to just this Test match, it's been happening for a while IMO.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The South Africa tour thread has been dross since before this match started. My problem with it has absolutely nothing to do with what's been happening on the cricket field and everything to do with how utterly crap the standard of discussion has been.

The West Indies tour thread was exactly the same. Thankfully, the main problem in that thread has been dealt with.

The England-Pakistan thread was actually pretty decent until the final day of the series, when a bunch of posters who'd barely been in the thread came into the thread and started trolling. It ruined what up until then had been a pretty good thread, and the trolling that went on took the moment away from our Pakistani contingent.

edit: with regard to the England-India subforum, it's hard for me to be objective because I was a large part of that subforum being **** at times. But I certainly didn't think the actual match discussion was anywhere near as bad as what the tour threads recently have turned into.
I basically agree with this. Until a few select people decided that it would be a great idea to start trolling in a series they had absolutely nothing to do with, Eng-Pak was fine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jono, as the instigator of this whole thing via MSN convos and a rather bluntly entitled thread elsewhere that I made, I don't think it's tall poppy syndrome at all because many of the posters who I hold primarily responsible for what I see as a decline are strongly pro-English. I'm not going to name names in public for blatantly obvious reasons.
I'm not saying its the people having a go at England that are the roots of the problem, nor at the English fans the problem. I'm saying certain England fans are reacting because people are constantly going at their team. And people are constantly going at their team because they are talking their team up heaps. If a cycle that always occurs when a team is awesome.
but I think you're missing the point here
I asked what the point was tbf. I am missing the point because no one has openly addressed it, except for Prince (until your post here), and I am saying that there have been tour threads from last year which were just as **** as this one. Honestly the whole of England vs. India was surrounded by avatar bets and signature bets and just proving to the other people that they were right when they rated or didn't rate a player. This has just become the case here.
It's not even just people acting like one or two players are **** based on a **** session - it's a part, but only a part of what I see as the problem. It's more a tone problem I mean that stems from people taking themselves and the discussion far too seriously than it needs to be taken.
Won't be fixed if examples aren't been given. Will basically just be a bitch session with no positive outcome for the forum.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
It's not even just tour threads where opposition players are being rubbished. Some of the posting in recent ATG threads, and the Sangakkara one springs to mind, is amazing.

I don't know how Sangakkara has as many runs as he has. Oh wait, the dustbowls Murali dominates on like the minnow basher he is suddenly morph into State Highway 1.

Time to start a thread on ATG pitches imo. Sounds like these Sri Lankan ones cover all the bases against all opposition. Never faced Malcolm Marshall down wind in a blizzard though, so obviously they are all frauds and even worse than the Napier test pitch. Or Sehwag.

Flem274*

123/5
So I guess my point is rather than present a well thought out argument, many posters decide finding any way to devalue the achievements of someone they don't like is the way they're going to go about arguing.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not saying its the people having a go at England that are the roots of the problem, nor at the English fans the problem. I'm saying certain England fans are reacting because people are constantly going at their team. And people are constantly going at their team because they are talking their team up heaps. If a cycle that always occurs when a team is awesome.
It's also quite irrelevant to what I'm trying to say.

I would really prefer not to give examples of individual, specific posts, but it isn't hard to find instances of people posting far too aggressively and/or arrogantly for comfort - not to mention some really just plain odd posts that leave everyone a bit confused.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly. I'm making of it this way:

- There was one poster who was absent from the discussion on day 4 who wasn't absent the other days.
- This is an overreaction
You forgot:

- Kallis at the crease brings out the best of us

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So I guess my point is rather than present a well thought out argument, many posters decide finding any way to devalue the achievements of someone they don't like is the way they're going to go about arguing.

Honestly there's a fair bit of rose-tintedness going on here, that's happened ever since I started posting here, some prominent poster's it was almost their entire routine.

Storm meet teacup.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I asked what the point was tbf. I am missing the point because no one has openly addressed it, except for Prince (until your post here), and I am saying that there have been tour threads from last year which were just as **** as this one. Honestly the whole of England vs. India was surrounded by avatar bets and signature bets and just proving to the other people that they were right when they rated or didn't rate a player. This has just become the case here.
I haven't commented in this thread because I haven't had a chance to browse tour threads lately, but I can say that it will surprise me if the Eng/SA thread is any worse than the Eng/Ind one. The latter series is by far the most toxic thread series I ever read on CW. The bad vibes started well before the series and toxic levels simply increased once it was over. It seemed to me that many posters took more joy about going after people on CW than actually enjoying their team's or favorite player's performance.

Even if the general direness has been happening prior to this year though, it doesn't mean it has to continue. I'm glad it's being discussed here. My hope is that enough senior posters will agree to self moderate the threads and discourage the type of posting that leads to flame wars.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The in-play discussion was largely okay for England-India, save a couple of sessions. It was the build-up and fallout that stank, as you said. Therefore, I feel the current Test has been worse.

That being said it has been strangely bereft of snide comments today.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I haven't commented in this thread because I haven't had a chance to browse tour threads lately, but I can say that it will surprise me if the Eng/SA thread is any worse than the Eng/Ind one. The latter series is by far the most toxic thread series I ever read on CW. The bad vibes started well before the series and toxic levels simply increased once it was over. It seemed to me that many posters took more joy about going after people on CW than actually enjoying their team's or favorite player's performance.

Even if the general direness has been happening prior to this year though, it doesn't mean it has to continue. I'm glad it's being discussed here. My hope is that enough senior posters will agree to self moderate the threads and discourage the type of posting that leads to flame wars.
There's a difference between people just being ****s and attacking other posters, as happened last summer, and really **** discussion. Despite all the aggro that I certainly helped cause last summer IMO the match threads were still largely a decent read when there was cricket taking place on the field. The quality of discussion in tour threads lately had gone right down the toilet.

Spark

Global Moderator
The in-play discussion was largely okay for England-India, save a couple of sessions. It was the build-up and fallout that stank, as you said. Therefore, I feel the current Test has been worse.

That being said it has been strangely bereft of snide comments today.
Ever since I started posted regularly in it again :ph34r: Or, more seriously, perhaps ever since this thread started and people started keeping it in mind. Perhaps that's all it takes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah the 'Atmosphere in Cricket Chat' thread a couple of years back seemed to result in an increase in standards. Even though the thread itself was an absolute toilet.

Andre

International Regular
Actually think the biggest problem is the needless comments to be honest. Threads only tend to derail badly when people consistently chip in with a one line nothing comment bigging up one of their players or someone comes in with useless joke number 645. Reckon the threads tend to go pretty well aside from that - always going to be differences of opinions, but the 'is not, is so, you're a ****' really adds nothing and makes it a boring place to be.

Spark

Global Moderator
I find the people complaining about jokes far more tiresome than the jokes themselves, frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.