• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The double standards need to stop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah not trying to shoot you down personally or anything, but in isolation it was a post that a moderator could have done something about if it were brought to their attention.
But none of my responses to him were offensive, so he would have been wasting his time even if he did report them imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Reckon you probably would have been fine if you didn't throw in the rolleyes smiley.
He wouldn't actually.

The point was that he had been specifically asked by moderators to stop warmongering and treating each poster solely as a representative of the team they support. He has been instructed several times to stop responding to any point he doesn't agree with by attempting to invalidate the poster on nationalist lines, and to stop responding to any criticism of West Indian players by with irrelevant attacks on players who play for the supported team of the poster.

On this occasion the infraction he received was for ignoring moderator instructions because he had, again, suggested the opinion of the bloke he replied to was invalid due to the team he happened to support. Out of context it looks harmless of course but it's part of an ongoing posting style that we've asked him to remedy and indeed given him a forum atmosphere ban for in the past; something I don't think anyone disagreed with at the time. We have asked him, repeatedly, not to post like that, and unless he learns that this is a place for free discussion and not a warzone between rival fans, he'll probably keep getting infractions for the same thing. And it's a shame, because I genuinely think he adds a lot when he's not being so bloody defensive.

Debris

International 12th Man
I think WW should take the banning as a compliment. It means that people are reading his posts and taking them seriously.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
We have asked him, repeatedly, not to post like that, and unless he learns that this is a place for free discussion and not a warzone between rival fans, he'll probably keep getting infractions for the same thing. And it's a shame, because I genuinely think he adds a lot when he's not being so bloody defensive.
Yeah, agree with this. Certainly good to have a few Windies fans around, though he needs to be less warmongering.

Also, i think other posters need to stop provoking him and responding to him based on previous reputation a bit tbh, especially when he isn't being that way. Doesn't make it easy for him to less get defensive when he is receiving all kinds of snarky responses.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
Also, i think other posters need to stop provoking him and responding to him based on previous reputation a bit tbh, especially when he isn't being that way. Doesn't make it easy for him to less get defensive when he is receiving all kinds of snarky responses.
I didn't report anything, I worked it out since, but I don't dibber dob. But just wanted to mention I know nothing of WW prior to this series, I'm new here as you can see.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, agree with this. Certainly good to have a few Windies fans around, though he needs to be less warmongering.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He wouldn't actually.

The point was that he had been specifically asked by moderators to stop warmongering and treating each poster solely as a representative of the team they support. He has been instructed several times to stop responding to any point he doesn't agree with by attempting to invalidate the poster on nationalist lines, and to stop responding to any criticism of West Indian players by with irrelevant attacks on players who play for the supported team of the poster.

On this occasion the infraction he received was for ignoring moderator instructions because he had, again, suggested the opinion of the bloke he replied to was invalid due to the team he happened to support. Out of context it looks harmless of course but it's part of an ongoing posting style that we've asked him to remedy and indeed given him a forum atmosphere ban for in the past; something I don't think anyone disagreed with at the time. We have asked him, repeatedly, not to post like that, and unless he learns that this is a place for free discussion and not a warzone between rival fans, he'll probably keep getting infractions for the same thing. And it's a shame, because I genuinely think he adds a lot when he's not being so bloody defensive.
Sorry i just can't agree with this!!, the poster in question was pretty much trying to dictate to me why i'm wrong not to support Sammy, so all i did was point out that he was an australia fan so Sammy isn't really a concern to his team, it's easy to judge from afar, but in any case burgey's post to me wasn't punished so why wasn't it prince? that's why i started this post because it looks like double standards.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sorry i just can't agree with this!!, the poster in question was pretty much trying to dictate to me why i'm wrong not to support Sammy, so all i did was point out that he was an australia fan so Sammy isn't really a concern to his team
Yes and we've asked you not to do this, many times. If you disagree with what he says then argue his point on merit. You place far too much importance on which team everyone supports: this forum is not drawn on nationalist lines. He's well within his rights to have his opinion on Sammy regardless of who he supports and so do you, but the fact that he doesn't support the team you do doesn't make your opinion worth any more. We have asked you not to post in this fashion before, and I'll ask you again. If you choose to ignore us, you'll be getting infractions. Whether or not you agree is ultimately irrelevant.

but in any case burgey's post to me wasn't punished so why wasn't it prince? that's why i started this post because it looks like double standards.
Two completely separate issues and clearly not even remotely double standards, even if you think Burgey deserved an infraction. Did Burgey ignore moderator instructions? No.

You may argue what he did was worse but even if it was, it is not an example of double standards because it's not the same issue in the slightest.

uvelocity

International Coach
doesn't mean I can't be objective and disagree with you. I think Sammy did quite well, doesn't matter who I support. Chanders also deserved MOTS. Aussies deserved to win the series. Doesn't matter who I support.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair to WW, Burgey should definitely receive a permanent ban. :ph34r:
And with that I think the thread has done its course.

We welcome threads that promote the discussion of general moderation policy, but getting into public arguments about specific incidents is not desirable.

If this thread was about your infraction, WW, you've been explained why you got one.

If this thread is a complaint about double standards then it's a misguided complaint, as Burgey most certainly did not ignore moderator instructions, and you were not banned for condescension or insults. You were banned because we asked you not to do something and you went ahead and did it anyway. For any double standards complaint to be valid, you'd have to show another example of someone ignoring moderator instructions and not being punished. You could've argued poor administrative priorities, unjust outcomes or a multitude of other things and I would've disagreed but it would have been a mere difference of opinion; your claim of "double standards" is ludicrous because we're not talking about the same offence.

If you have any other questions or comments, email us at moderators@cricketweb.net. Do not start another threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.