Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The double standards need to stop!!

Darren Sammy isn't even West Indian. So this thread really is silly.

Reckon you probably would have been fine if you didn't throw in the rolleyes smiley.
    He wouldn't actually.

The point was that he had been specifically asked by moderators to stop warmongering and treating each poster solely as a representative of the team they support. He has been instructed several times to stop responding to any point he doesn't agree with by attempting to invalidate the poster on nationalist lines, and to stop responding to any criticism of West Indian players by with irrelevant attacks on players who play for the supported team of the poster.

On this occasion the infraction he received was for ignoring moderator instructions because he had, again, suggested the opinion of the bloke he replied to was invalid due to the team he happened to support. Out of context it looks harmless of course but it's part of an ongoing posting style that we've asked him to remedy and indeed given him a forum atmosphere ban for in the past; something I don't think anyone disagreed with at the time. We have asked him, repeatedly, not to post like that, and unless he learns that this is a place for free discussion and not a warzone between rival fans, he'll probably keep getting infractions for the same thing. And it's a shame, because I genuinely think he adds a lot when he's not being so bloody defensive.
    ~ Cribbage

I think WW should take the banning as a compliment. It means that people are reading his posts and taking them seriously.

Finding them annoying, more like.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

We have asked him, repeatedly, not to post like that, and unless he learns that this is a place for free discussion and not a warzone between rival fans, he'll probably keep getting infractions for the same thing. And it's a shame, because I genuinely think he adds a lot when he's not being so bloody defensive.
    Yeah, agree with this. Certainly good to have a few Windies fans around, though he needs to be less warmongering.

Also, i think other posters need to stop provoking him and responding to him based on previous reputation a bit tbh, especially when he isn't being that way. Doesn't make it easy for him to less get defensive when he is receiving all kinds of snarky responses.
    Last edited by Cevno; 03-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Also, i think other posters need to stop provoking him and responding to him based on previous reputation a bit tbh, especially when he isn't being that way. Doesn't make it easy for him to less get defensive when he is receiving all kinds of snarky responses.
    I didn't report anything, I worked it out since, but I don't dibber dob. But just wanted to mention I know nothing of WW prior to this series, I'm new here as you can see.
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Yeah, agree with this. Certainly good to have a few Windies fans around, though he needs to be less warmongering.

WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He wouldn't actually.

The point was that he had been specifically asked by moderators to stop warmongering and treating each poster solely as a representative of the team they support. He has been instructed several times to stop responding to any point he doesn't agree with by attempting to invalidate the poster on nationalist lines, and to stop responding to any criticism of West Indian players by with irrelevant attacks on players who play for the supported team of the poster.

On this occasion the infraction he received was for ignoring moderator instructions because he had, again, suggested the opinion of the bloke he replied to was invalid due to the team he happened to support. Out of context it looks harmless of course but it's part of an ongoing posting style that we've asked him to remedy and indeed given him a forum atmosphere ban for in the past; something I don't think anyone disagreed with at the time. We have asked him, repeatedly, not to post like that, and unless he learns that this is a place for free discussion and not a warzone between rival fans, he'll probably keep getting infractions for the same thing. And it's a shame, because I genuinely think he adds a lot when he's not being so bloody defensive.
    Sorry i just can't agree with this!!, the poster in question was pretty much trying to dictate to me why i'm wrong not to support Sammy, so all i did was point out that he was an australia fan so Sammy isn't really a concern to his team, it's easy to judge from afar, but in any case burgey's post to me wasn't punished so why wasn't it prince? that's why i started this post because it looks like double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    Sorry i just can't agree with this!!, the poster in question was pretty much trying to dictate to me why i'm wrong not to support Sammy, so all i did was point out that he was an australia fan so Sammy isn't really a concern to his team
    Yes and we've asked you not to do this, many times. If you disagree with what he says then argue his point on merit. You place far too much importance on which team everyone supports: this forum is not drawn on nationalist lines. He's well within his rights to have his opinion on Sammy regardless of who he supports and so do you, but the fact that he doesn't support the team you do doesn't make your opinion worth any more. We have asked you not to post in this fashion before, and I'll ask you again. If you choose to ignore us, you'll be getting infractions. Whether or not you agree is ultimately irrelevant.

but in any case burgey's post to me wasn't punished so why wasn't it prince? that's why i started this post because it looks like double standards.
    Two completely separate issues and clearly not even remotely double standards, even if you think Burgey deserved an infraction. Did Burgey ignore moderator instructions? No.

You may argue what he did was worse but even if it was, it is not an example of double standards because it's not the same issue in the slightest.

doesn't mean I can't be objective and disagree with you. I think Sammy did quite well, doesn't matter who I support. Chanders also deserved MOTS. Aussies deserved to win the series. Doesn't matter who I support.

To be fair to WW, Burgey should definitely receive a permanent ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    To be fair to WW, Burgey should definitely receive a permanent ban.
    And with that I think the thread has done its course.

We welcome threads that promote the discussion of general moderation policy, but getting into public arguments about specific incidents is not desirable.

If this thread was about your infraction, WW, you've been explained why you got one.

If this thread is a complaint about double standards then it's a misguided complaint, as Burgey most certainly did not ignore moderator instructions, and you were not banned for condescension or insults. You were banned because we asked you not to do something and you went ahead and did it anyway. For any double standards complaint to be valid, you'd have to show another example of someone ignoring moderator instructions and not being punished. You could've argued poor administrative priorities, unjust outcomes or a multitude of other things and I would've disagreed but it would have been a mere difference of opinion; your claim of "double standards" is ludicrous because we're not talking about the same offence.

If you have any other questions or comments, email us at moderators@cricketweb.net. Do not start another threads.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 03-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information