• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Statute of Limitations

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Recent distressing events have brought to the attention of the newly formed and self appointed Cricket Web Law Reform Committee the need for a Statute of Limitations on the issuing of bans. At present an infraction can be issued for a post at any time after the post was made. An empirical survey of recent bans conducted by the CWLRC indicates that infractions are being issued up to five months after the alleged offence.

I refer readers to the Explanatory Memorandum to the Forum Rules Amendment Act 2011. Among the stated aims of the rule changes is to make the system 'more transparent and fair' (Nixon, 2). The ever present threat of infraction for long forgotten posts is clearly antithetical to both these stated aims.

Moreover, the Memorandum states, at 3, '[a]t every point a member knows how many points they have on their account, so a long or short ban does not seem like it is 'coming out of nowhere'.' Being infracted for a post made several months prior is precisely 'coming out of nowhere'. It is clear that a Statute of Limitations is necessary in order to uphold the purpose and spirit of the Act.

The Forum Rules indicate that infractions are to expire after 42 days. This seems a reasonable starting point as a maximum period after which infractions can no longer be issued for a post. It is the Committee's view that a shorter period, ideally 14 days, is appropriate, particularly when it is clear that moderators have read the supposedly offending post (i.e. by replying directly or posting shortly after it).

Private submissions have already been tendered by some of CW's senior legal minds indicating general support for the implementation of a Statute of Limitations.

CWLRC

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Recent distressing events have brought to the attention of the newly formed and self appointed Cricket Web Law Reform Committee the need for a Statute of Limitations on the issuing of bans. At present an infraction can be issued for a post at any time after the post was made. An empirical survey of recent bans conducted by the CWLRC indicates that infractions are being issued up to five months after the alleged offence.

I refer readers to the Explanatory Memorandum to the Forum Rules Amendment Act 2011. Among the stated aims of the rule changes is to make the system 'more transparent and fair' (Nixon, 2). The ever present threat of infraction for long forgotten posts is clearly antithetical to both these stated aims.

Moreover, the Memorandum states, at 3, '[a]t every point a member knows how many points they have on their account, so a long or short ban does not seem like it is 'coming out of nowhere'.' Being infracted for a post made several months prior is precisely 'coming out of nowhere'. It is clear that a Statute of Limitations is necessary in order to uphold the purpose and spirit of the Act.

The Forum Rules indicate that infractions are to expire after 42 days. This seems a reasonable starting point as a maximum period after which infractions can no longer be issued for a post. It is the Committee's view that a shorter period, ideally 14 days, is appropriate, particularly when it is clear that moderators have read the supposedly offending post (i.e. by replying directly or posting shortly after it).

Private submissions have already been tendered by some of CW's senior legal minds indicating general support for the implementation of a Statute of Limitations.

CWLRC
As I have a legal qualification, and am getting on a bit, I'm qualified to make a submission on that basis so give us the facts

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
It was my understanding that you had been apprised of the facts by one benchmark00. Your correspondence with him was taken as an unofficial submission.

fredfertang

benchmark00 ???

rings a vague bell somewhere but don't think I know him

........... unless he's the bloke who does the gorillagrams?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This thread is obviously a little bit of a piss-take but I think it's something we could seriously look into. I'm not too sure, as a rule, if we should be giving people infractions for posts made so long ago that the infraction would've expired by now if we gave it at the time. Certainly something worth discussing anyway. The flip side of the argument is of course the fact that if the mods miss something originally it doesn't mean it should go unpunished.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
The format of my post is just me being facetious, as is my wont, but the suggestion is genuine.

cpr

International Coach
I too challenge James I's Divine Right of Kings and shall raise an army to march on London forthwith. Shall be calling on the Dukes of Lancashire (definitely a roundhead) and Berkshire (comes accross as a cavalier) to head my armies.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Worth considering of course that infractions are always doubling in length. If in theory a poster had already had a few for said offence by the time of the offence, then the length would be much longer. I speak from experience given I have infractions from summer that don't expire until April. I'd imagine benchmark would be in a similar boat.

HeathDavisSpeed

Should probably start by booting the moderator who thought it was reasonable to infract a post made five months previously.

And then infract GIMH just for laffs.

fredfertang

In all seriousness adamc is of course entirely correct for the reasons that he identifies.

It also seems to me that if a post is five months old, and hasn't been noticed by the mods or reported, then its not easy to actually see how it can be fitted into any of the infractable sins anyway

I think I recall the post in question and I remember at the time thinking that benchy had taken a risk, but then nothing was said so I assumed it must have been intended in and taken in jest, thus I think benchy was entitled to assume the same

If it was just missed then I can understand that the mods might still want to flag it up, but surely in those circumstances the punishment that fits the crime is a warning, so the poster concerns knows what he has to do/not do in the future

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So now he's a repeat offender for making crass remarks about other posters' partners. I wonder how many more let offs he's going to get.