• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Derailing of tour threads

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was going to post this in the mod forum but I think it'd be better to get the opinion of everyone on the forum about it.

I don't know if it's just me but I've been noticing this more and more lately - tour threads are being derailed with discussion about future tours. This has always happened to some extent, especially when one series is viewed as less significant than another, but I think it's become a real problem lately. The "New Zealand in Australia" thread has became an undercover copy of the "Road to India in Australia" thread with the occasional depressing post about New Zealand's batting lineup while the "West Indies in India' thread has been in danger of doing the same thing a few times. The Pakistan/Bangladesh thread has been largely focussed on the English tour of Pakistan too, other than during the matches.

I'm obviously not suggesting we start giving out infractions for this or anything like that, but I'm quite happy to start moving posts to their correct threads when it happens. I'm just wondering if people would actually like that or if they'd get too confused by it.

Spark

Global Moderator
It depends, really. I don't have too much of an issue with it when the threads are quiet - they tend to go round in circles and to strange places when nothing is really happening.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It depends, really. I don't have too much of an issue with it when the threads are quiet - they tend to go round in circles and to strange places when nothing is really happening.
Well I don't mind it when a thread goes off on a random tangent, but another upcoming tour isn't really a random tangent, especially when we have a thread for that already. If you wanted to read about the upcoming Indian tour of Australia and didn't read the New Zealand thread you'd miss half the discussion.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got banned for telling people to keep it on track. Try and be consistent and do the same.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not really sure how much of an issue this is tbh.

The "problems" in the India-WI thread and the Pakistan-Bangladesh thread really stem from a complete lack of a WI and Bangladeshi CW community IMO. Align that with a series that no-one really gives a **** about and people will drift off into tangents. The Australia-New Zealand thread has suffered from New Zealand's batsmen being crap and all the pre-series optimism from New Zealand fans evaporating pretty quickly.

The next tour can often be a relevant line of discussion - with Australia's injury woes for example, I think discussing who might stay in the line up for the Boxing Day Test is a relevant line of discussion as it's discussing players involved in the current series and whether they've performed well enough to merit continued selection.

I don't think it's been that much of an issue; to be honest this smacks of moderating for the sake of moderating.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Enforce this rule, and also enforce the rule where no one can say that the NZ cricket team are honest tryers who punch above their weight, and I'm sure the Kiwi fans will be happy. They'll have nothing else to complain about then...

other than their batting :ph34r:

Burgey

I think everyone just needs to suck it up and realise every series is a warm up the the Ashes, and get over it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think the tangent in the NZ vs Aussie thread has gone on for too long. Especially when there is another thread for the Road to India in Australia. So yes move any future posts

That said I would like to thank the Aussie fans for finding something positive to talk about even if it is the next tour rather than dissecting the non existent NZ top order batting performance. The Aussie fans are good sorts except for PEWS.:ph34r:

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think it's been that much of an issue; to be honest this smacks of moderating for the sake of moderating.
This.

well said GF

I don't quite think it is derailing the thread that if some bowler is performing well against Bangladesh how would he be able to do 4 weeks down the road.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Their upcoming series with the Pakistan B Team in December will be a nice gentle stroll I daresay.

Uppercut

Disagree with Cribb. Yeah I know, wtf.

Tour threads aren't really like any other CC threads, they tend to run like big, open group conversations involving a bunch of cricket fans whereas other threads are like staged discussions on a particular topic. I like that distinction, personally. It's a shame when something interesting or funny gets lost in the middle of a tour thread but a lot of the best tour thread craic wouldn't have happened in the first place if there was a stricter policy against detours.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems a non-issue to me, think the threads will always get a little derailed, but it's a lot better than it has been in previous years.

Daemon

Disagree with Cribb. Yeah I know, wtf.

Tour threads aren't really like any other CC threads, they tend to run like big, open group conversations involving a bunch of cricket fans whereas other threads are like staged discussions on a particular topic. I like that distinction, personally. It's a shame when something interesting or funny gets lost in the middle of a tour thread but a lot of the best tour thread craic wouldn't have happened in the first place if there was a stricter policy against detours.
Agree with this and Furball's post which I'm too lazy to quote

Howe_zat

Audio File
Seems somewhat illogical that Rohit should be in the Test side ahead of Kohli based on ODI form when Kohli's one of the best ODI bats in the world.

Edit: Haha, just noticed what thread this was in. Tab-owned by Turbs.

Last edited: