Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using the term "rape"

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar

Using the term "rape"

Just seen this post by Flem in the Viv thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Guys, stop using the word 'rape' to describe a man hitting a six please. That isn't rape, and there are plenty of adjectives that are more tasteful and are much more appropriate.

There has been a bit of talk recently about the use of the word amongst the moderators, so I wouldn't expect everyone to be aware, but for those of you who read this thread, now you are.
    Completely agree.

Obviously not being privy to any of your discussions, I don't know what consensus you guys are arriving at, but personally I would be fine with you guys handing out infractions for it. I'm certain that if I'd wandered into the India thread this morning and said "well batted by the ragheads" that I'd have been carded for racism, no matter how jocular I might have been with my comments. Racism rightly isn't acceptable; neither should causually demeaning one of the most vile personal and violent crimes that can be committed against another person.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    What if one were to say he "murdered/killed" the opposition? I think it's pretty clear that when a person uses the word rape in this context they imply the Rape | Define Rape at Dictionary.com 7 and 8 definitions rather than the 6th.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Inclined to agree with OP. I don't think it needs to be moderated necessarily, but the casual manner in which the word is used does bother me (on here and IRL). It's an indication of the site's demographics - almost exclusively adolescent males - that a violent, usually misogynistic act is widely accepted as an appropriate metaphor for trivial occurrences. Obviously it can be used as a metaphor, but it should be reserved for situations that warrant it.

Murdered/killed is a little different. It doesn't have the same specificity, overtones of misogyny or implication of power imbalance. As such it won't provoke nearly as visceral a reaction in most people. Moreover, it has a much better-established history of use as a metaphor in a variety of contexts including sporting ones. Even if you fundamentally disagree with its use it would be fairly futile to try to prevent it. The ubiquitous use of 'rape' on the other hand is a relatively recent phenomenon.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

What if one were to say he "murdered/killed" the opposition? I think it's pretty clear that when a person uses the word rape in this context they imply the Rape | Define Rape at Dictionary.com 7 and 8 definitions rather than the 6th.
    Yeah, the counter-argument is the evolution of language; when I hear "rape" in a metaphorical sporting context I don't conjure up obscene images in my mind. I've been (indirectly) affected by rape so it's not something I take lightly, but I don't think anyone using it metaphorically is trying to make light of it or course offense at all.

In the end it comes down to the old chestnut: the relevance of context and intent in what's deemed offensive - something I've actually debated here in matters completely irrelevant to moderation. We're discussing it in the moderation forum already though as Phlegm mentioned, so I guess this thread will be good to give us an idea of what the members think. "Gay" is also being discussed.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

U19 Vice-Captain
    I'd add mong/******/******* - although not saying it's a problem on here.

Gay is an example of a difficult one where a different meaning has leached into common usage outside of the for more than absolute rules. internet.

Agree that context and judgement count more than absolute rules.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I just find it a bit icky really, as a term, pretty uneccessary. I guess it's not a usage I come across IRL at all... but then I'm not an adolescent male.

Gay is worse really, it's commonly thrown about as an insult and to go back to GingerFurball's comparison to racism we wouldn't let that on the forum.

Oh yeah, and ******, I hate that one.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Ah, so this is what Cribb meant when he told me Tendy was a serial rapist. Incapable of raping Englishmen it would seem though. Gutted.

Edit: These remarks aside, I agree with GF.
    Last edited by sledger; 15-11-2011 at 10:42 AM.

I've mentioned it before, it bugs me too.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Oh yeah, and ******, I hate that one.
    Leave keeper alone.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Hehe, very sharp...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Scaly to declare that it's POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    **** me, seriously? You're all pansies.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Scaly to declare that it's POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
    Well I wouldn't necessarily disagree with him but I can definitely tell I'm in the minority on this forum with this issue, judging by the Hey Hey It's Saturday thread I participated in a while back.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    If there aren't a large amount of people using the term with Verigoat's famous avatar in mind, I'll eat Richard's computer. His new one at least; he has a fair bit of computer consumption to get through upon returning to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, the counter-argument is the evolution of language; when I hear "rape" in a metaphorical sporting context I don't conjure up obscene images in my mind. I've been (indirectly) affected by rape so it's not something I take lightly, but I don't think anyone using it metaphorically is trying to make light of it or course offense at all.

In the end it comes down to the old chestnut: the relevance of context and intent in what's deemed offensive - something I've actually debated here in matters completely irrelevant to moderation. We're discussing it in the moderation forum already though as Phlegm mentioned, so I guess this thread will be good to give us an idea of what the members think. "Gay" is also being discussed.
    PEWS, out of interest, do you say things like "England raped India" around the rape survivor?

Because I think that is another key thing here folks. This is not a private forum, and you don't know who is reading and what they've seen in their lifetime. I'm quite happy to put my hand up and say until recently I was making the rape/gay jokes as much as the next person, until one day I happened to say one in the hearing of a rape survivor. Needless to say she was not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    I'd add mong/******/******* - although not saying it's a problem on here.

Gay is an example of a difficult one where a different meaning has leached into common usage outside of the for more than absolute rules. internet.

Agree that context and judgement count more than absolute rules.
    Mong?

Gay has even less ground to stand on imo. I don't think it is any coincidence "gay" was chosen to mean "bad" and not "straight", "tomato sauce", "wall" or "Prince EWS"

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well I wouldn't necessarily disagree with him but I can definitely tell I'm in the minority on this forum with this issue, judging by the Hey Hey It's Saturday thread I participated in a while back.
    Links?
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    maybe you all are homosexuals, too
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information