• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Using the term "rape"

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Since we are having this discussion, can people not make crude jokes about Someone's death? Especially soon after it has happened?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My thoughts, I think it is a perfectly legitimate use of the word but equally it is unnecessary.
There are better words out there to use.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Or we could keep it clean and say "anal intercourse". Could be very interesting when applied to an analysis of which Indian Batsman hit the most sixes in England during the summer.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I’ve deleted a few posts that are a bit OTT. I get the need for humor, but can we not make this a joke/pun thread and keep it somewhat serious? :)

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
It would be cool if some moderator/senior forumer puts up a post specifying words and phrases that are deemed inappropriate. I got a rap on the knuckles once (and rightly so) for the usage of this particular word, even though in a harmless context. It's simply because I wasn't better informed.

As is my wont, the first thing that I did when I registered here is look for specific guidelines of posting, but didn't find any. Maybe that's something that can be useful in the future on an online forum involving different cultures? You know, the definition of politically correct conduct differs a lot from place to place (and person to person, I guess) and it's easy for forumers to say something that comes across as offensive. Just a thought. :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Putting up a list of banned words would be incredibly nannyish and stupid, anything that is overtly offensive can be added to the filter. For everything else an individual poster ought to have the maturity and sense of mind to identify when the use of a certain word might not be appropriate. This has nothing to do with different cultures, for it's hard to imagine any society in which the use of the term "rape" to describe a trivial act would be deemed appropriate, regardless of the level of tolerance it'd be subjected to. Just use a bit of common sense and tact, it's not difficult.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is fresh evidence which suggests the moderators have no idea as to context and what posters mean at any given time..

Personally, the term is offensive. It's typically used by posters who are that young their idea of experience of the world is seeing an attractive woman on the way to school or uni and walking around with a fat a cat couldn't scratch for an hour afterwards. If you're that stupid, and those who run the site are that stupid, that they can't see using that word in the context of a sporting performance is at best disrespectful and inappropriate, and at worst offensive, then you're a pack of idiots. No wonder there are about three female members of the site, if unherently misogynist terms like this are tolerated.

I really can't believe the moderators would tolerate its use. Actually, I can. They're more interested in things that are far more "important" I suppose right now.

It's a ****ing joke that any of them would post seriously about "forum atmosphere" yet not raise an eyebrow as some idiot savant kid with two hairs on his chest and one on each testicle whose idea of being ***ually experienced is bumping into a woman on the train says "X is raping Y here".

It's a **** word. It shouldn't be made light of by using it in the context referred to in this thread and it should be filtered. The fact you even have to have a discussion about it speaks volumes for the priorities of the site and those who administer its every day functioning.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
There is fresh evidence which suggests the moderators have no idea as to context and what posters mean at any given time..

Personally, the term is offensive. It's typically used by posters who are that young their idea of experience of the world is seeing an attractive woman on the way to school or uni and walking around with a fat a cat couldn't scratch for an hour afterwards. If you're that stupid, and those who run the site are that stupid, that they can't see using that word in the context of a sporting performance is at best disrespectful and inappropriate, and at worst offensive, then you're a pack of idiots. No wonder there are about three female members of the site, if unherently misogynist terms like this are tolerated.

I really can't believe the moderators would tolerate its use. Actually, I can. They're more interested in things that are far more "important" I suppose right now.

It's a ****ing joke that any of them would post seriously about "forum atmosphere" yet not raise an eyebrow as some idiot savant kid with two hairs on his chest and one on each testicle whose idea of being ***ually experienced is bumping into a woman on the train says "X is raping Y here".

It's a **** word. It shouldn't be made light of by using it in the context referred to in this thread and it should be filtered. The fact you even have to have a discussion about it speaks volumes for the priorities of the site and those who administer its every day functioning.
I'm with Burgey - its usage in relation to cricket is unnecessary. If someone uses it, it says plenty about their levels of maturity and their lack of interaction with the real, adult world.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In general I think the moderating on this forum is piss poor, which coupled with the bag of gunge that Cricket Chat has turned into is why I don't bother with it much.
However, on this occasion I don't think they did much wrong.
The following was posted:
Guys, stop using the word 'rape' to describe a man hitting a six please. That isn't rape, and there are plenty of adjectives that are more tasteful and are much more appropriate.
People who were brainless enough to use it had been told to stop and without this thread that would have been that, with presumably people who continued being docked Brownie Points.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I'm not sure why the moderators are getting attacked for this - this is something we've discussed at length and we're pretty much on the same page. We're not going to add it to the filter because there's times when the word will come up in legitimate conversation. When we see it used in an inappropriate context like you've mentioned, we've either posted in thread or sent them a VM saying that we're trying to steer away from it. We're not going to start infracting people for it - at least not yet - because it's something that we've only just started doing something about.

I'll point out as well that this thread wasn't started by a moderator, but a normal member. As it is, we were about to make an announcement in Site Discussion very soon regarding the fact that we don't want people using it in inappropriate contexts - in fact when I first saw the thread on my main forum page I assumed a moderator had started it.