• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Using the term "rape"

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, that is such nanny stuff. There has to be some responsibility on the reader to interpret the context in which the word is being used.

This is actually a key point for me. The fact is this is a cricket forum, and the majority of posts are about cricket. I'm confident enough to say the context of the term is never used in a ***ually aggressive way in CC.

Whilst appreciating people have had different experiences in life, a poster cannot be expected to know that. If people want to object to a certain word, then thats their prerogative, and if we banned any word that could cause anyone any offense, we'd be very limited.

Another thing that needs considering is who its said to and why. Saying something was raped would take a different context in the 'Girl Problems' thread than it would in a CC thread. As an example of context, if I called Benchy a cancerous plague on this site (plausible FTR), if Manee took offense I'd bend over backwards to apologise and explain the context. If I'd called Manee it however, I'd probably cop a deserved ban as its clear that the context of the word had a more sinister meaning. Its one of the reasons I took massive offense at this thread, as the OP was, in my eyes, massively riling GIMH by discussing parenting in a way he knew would antagonize him - the wording and language took a huge sub-context when looked at in that light.

Having said all that, the use of the word rape is banded about far too childishly, in a context that its very rarely needed. If theres a very emotive word for taking absolutely everything from someone/something, then thats probably the most apt. That doesn't happen in cricket though, so its use should be very few and far between.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can understand how people can see it being a bit overbearing, but having gone through a fair bit of training for responding to ***ual assault and the like, one of the big things they talked about was trying to avoid triviliasing the term. When someone says that 'England raped India,' they're obviously not meaning it literally, but for someone who's been through that it raises a whole host of issues and does triviliase the issue. Given that there still is stigma surrounding rape and that a lot of people aren't willing to come forward after it happens, avoiding using the word in contexts like that is the least that people can do to try to fix the situation.

For the record, at the moment we've just been sending VMs to people if they have said it and asked them to please steer away from it in the future.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm going to start using "raped" as a synonym for "banned". Could make for some interesting analogies when reading the Ban Announcement thread tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I reckon cpr and Andy raise a few good points. I have no issues if the mods just send a VM to disparage the words use in some circumstances.

davidgdafter

Cricket Spectator
I think 'In Context' is the name of the game here. The lines can get blurred sometimes especially with the evolution of language.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think 'In Context' is the name of the game here. The lines can get blurred sometimes especially with the evolution of language.
There's no blurring of any lines or confusing context. If someone uses the term rape to describe a batsman hitting a bowler for six not even sledger thinks that the batsman is carrying out a ***ual assult. Everyone knows what they mean - but it doesn't fit any true definition of the word (not even numbers 7 & 8) and it's just gratuitous stupidity.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The point about the drift of words' meanings is well made, but I don't think we're quite there yet with "rape". I'll happily use "cornholing", "dicking" or "arseholing" as synonyms for "soundly beat", but rape seems to still have a specificity they do not.

Apropos of meaning drift, here's Fry & Laurie on the hijacking of "gay".

Himannv

International Coach
:laughing: Thats terrible.

No, I agree with the OP on this one. Would be much better if people simply use a better word. Throwing words like this one around is slightly ignorant and distasteful imo.

Using something like "killed it" is a bit better and people are a bit less sensitive about it. Having said that, I think this is down to the individual user and their interpretation of how sensitive the term is. I dont think the mods need to really crack down on it or bother too much.