Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Advertising on the Forums

Advertising on the Forums

We've been discussing Ad Placement across the forum the past few weeks and coming up with various scenarios that we wanted to discuss amongst everyone to get some general feedback.

We've always tried to keep ads to be a minimum on the site to not detract from the viewing experience and feel that we've done that well over the past 10 years. Of course advertising is necessary to cover the many costs that involve keeping the site running which I think most people understand and appreciate.

What do you think about placement of the current ads?

I've had discussions with our Google contacts who suggested implementing something similiar to Rooney To Replace Scholes? - RedCafe.net. What are people's general feeling on that? Note the ad in the first post, the ad beside post reply, and the ad below the 5th post. Looks ok? Too in your face? If you don't like it, what don't you like about it, and what would you be prepared to live with?

Anyone have any other suggestions/thoughts? Just to say up front, we're not going to force anything on the community, but we are looking for constructive feedback on what is too much and what is acceptable.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    The ad after the Fifth Post is ok...the one in the first post might give an impression that the same is being put by the person who made the post ...

Both are always good than the the one i have seen on couple of sites where a Ad pop up from the bottom of the window its a pain to clos eit all the time and also it hides the content in the post.
    Last edited by biased indian; 14-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Can't see a single ad on that redcafe site for some reason.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Too obnoxious IMO. Probably won't deter regulars but if I were new to the forum I'd be put off by something like that. I use adblock whenever possible though so whatever. I realise the ads have a purpose but I'm never going to click one except by accident.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

As long as this gets on I'll be on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    The ad after the Fifth Post is ok...the one in the first post might give an impression that the same is being put by the person who made the post ...

Both are always good than the the one i have seen on couple of sites where a Ad pop up from the bottom of the window its a pain to clos eit all the time and also it hides the content in the post.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Pop-ups of any kind drive me absolutely crazy. We've never had and never will have pop-ups

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I've taken some screen-shots:

http://www.files2net.com/files/32661402924053/ad1.jpg

http://www.files2net.com/files/60878546582574/ad2.jpg

http://www.files2net.com/files/86609441740451/ad3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    You probably have AdBlocker on.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

cpr
    I dont like the one in the first post at all. Its far too in your face and distracting to the post your reading. It would actually drive me to using an ad block

The one after the 5th post is annoying, but over time I'd come to get used to it, though would probably scroll past without blinking.

At the bottom doesn't worry me, as I'm used to one at the bottom below 'post quick reply' now (and thats the only one I notice, even sometimes read now).

I personally find the ads work better on me outside the thread, eg at the top and bottom, as my eyes will wander to them before/after I've read the posts. One within the posts would be completely ignored, probably even hated, as its distracting me from what I'm trying to do.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

U19 Vice-Captain
    Well, first up I'd definitely ban anyone who makes such spurious comparisons between Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney.

Second, I think border ads work better as per this (also United) site.

(Bizarrely, this link is NSFW as for some reason one of the ads is about ****ing kittens - god knows what they're advertising)

Brilliant ! Quaver in the microwave trick - RedIssue Forums

Quite a good thread btw

Here's another site that has advertising on the top and side borders - quite discreet I think - obvious enough for the advertisers but not too intrusive...

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - User menu

And another...

Aviation History and Nostalgia - PPRuNe Forums

Thanks for your honest comments cpr / keeper. Really appreciate that

James,

I'd go for it mate.

It isn't too intrusive - it's not like it is half way through a sentence or a post. It's 2011, advertising is changing like everything else and you'll need the options to get the advertisers on board.

Plus, after 10 years you deserve to be able to pay the bills for the site

PS: I work in advertising so take it with a grain of salt if needs be

Hey mate - what is it with previous management of the site getting into advertising. That makes three of you now

Give us a buzz on MSN when you get the chance, would love to have a catch up

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Hey mate - what is it with previous management of the site getting into advertising. That makes three of you now

Give us a buzz on MSN when you get the chance, would love to have a catch up
    Haha, well there isn't any work in journalism so advertising was the next choice

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You probably have AdBlocker on.
    Weird. I used to be able to see the ads on Chrome even on CW. Don't recall updating it..

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    The ads between posts are fine, as long as they are between the post separators. The ones on that site seem to be in the same box as the individual posts.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information