• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertising on the Forums

James

Cricket Web Owner
Thanks Sledger, and yes please do screen-print any ad that makes sound automatically.

They're only supposed to play sound if you click on a "Play" button on the ad.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't mind the ad below the 5th post, but in the top post has always been a bit too much in the face.

Can't you have a vertical ad on one of the sides?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Don't mind the ad below the 5th post, but in the top post has always been a bit too much in the face.
Yes I tend to agree about the top post, and that seems to be most people's general opinion as well so we'll stay clear of that.

I'll look at bringing in the ad under the 4th/5th post within the next 24 hours or so.

Can't you have a vertical ad on one of the sides?
Yes, could do but it would make the automatic expanding of the forum to your screen resolution more difficult I think.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll make sure I take a screencap next time it happens, but there have been numerous occasions since I've returned that ads have been playing sound automatically. Particularly the one for the Cricket Challenge flash game.
Just caught this one whilst reading this thread... have sent it to James.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I have no problems with ads anywhere on the site as long as they are not "blinking on my face begging me to click" type or with a voice "Congratulations !!! ...." or "Your computer is not protected, Click here for.." type.

Thankfully none of that has happened here and I think we are in good hands @ CW.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Must say, my initial reaction is one of dislike. But they strike me as the kind of thing that had there been there all along I wouldn't be bothered by them, so I daresay I'll get used to the change in time.

Out of interest James, if you don't mind me asking that is, what kind of impact will this have on cricketweb revenue?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Must say, my initial reaction is one of dislike. But they strike me as the kind of thing that had there been there all along I wouldn't be bothered by them, so I daresay I'll get used to the change in time.
Thanks Sledger.

Yes, trying to get a good balance regarding placement of the ads being there and them not obviously being too dominant that it drives people away. A tricky thing to do but the feedback in this thread has been great and very much appreciated. Hope it continues.

Out of interest James, if you don't mind me asking that is, what kind of impact will this have on cricketweb revenue?
I have no idea to be honest with you. I'm just going off the suggestions Google put forward to me around the placement of ads across the whole site - the forum being one of those.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems to have done something funny with the 'Page xxx of xxx' links that you can click on to go forwards and back through the thread. When the page isn't maximised they've gone shooting off way to the right.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It seems to have done something funny with the 'Page xxx of xxx' links that you can click on to go forwards and back through the thread. When the page isn't maximised they've gone shooting off way to the right.
Can you give me a screen-shot or a link please?

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, have the same thing as Sledger.

Out of interest, does anyone ever click on the ads? I've only done it by accident.

The ads between posts look weird tbh, like the thread has broken or something. It's a bit scruffy. Will see what I think in a week or so. Maybe I will get used to them.

James

Cricket Web Owner
OK, I see the problem you've got there. It's the same as four_or_six.

It's because you've got your browser not covering enough space width wise and as the ad is 728x15 wide, it's using most of your space and forcing an horizontal scroll.

I'll look at changing that ad now to 468x15 so it doesn't use as much room :)