• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Devil Ducky's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

PY

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Twenty20 newsflash.... (can't keep a straight face as I'm typing this)

Despite popular opinion, the radio-controlled duck which is rumoured to ****** batsmen back to the pavilion after they fail to contribute a score is NOT Devil Ducky, neither is it my cousin, Vasbert's Drake. It is an impostor which the ECB have used in order to cash in on the popularity of Cricket Web in general and this columnist in particular.

I understand that Somerset did not like the idea of using a duck, because the club think that it will become cliched and monotonous if their current form is anything to go by.

Consequently, they have run a competition amongst local schools to design a replacement. They winner is a motorised fish which will dispense huge ear-shaped sweets to the kids. Somerset plan to call it 'Candy Haddick'.
:lol: *starts crying with laughter* :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sneak preview...

Rahul McDravid played a masterful undefeated innings of 120 from just 97 balls in the clash between Zummerzet and Scotland at Taunton at the weekend, but it wasn't enough to save the haggis munchers from another defeat.

Faced with a daunting 297 for victory, the home side were cruising at 202-2 but a collapse of Somersetesque proportions left them reeling on 290-9 before they scraped home in the final over amidst scenes of unrivalled cider drinking.

Dravid said "Hoots, mon, 'twas a bonny game, but divna call me McDravid - it's becoming a wee cliche". Naturally, I apologised immediately and asked him what I could do to make up for my faux-pas. "Och, jus' gerrus a pint o' heavy an' a whisky chaser."

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sneak preview of Saturday's column.....

Book Review - Harbi Patka and the Whirling Dervish - by Raman Subba Rowling

Harbi Patka is an skinny, beturbaned 11-year old orphan Sikh living with comical uncle Navjot Singh Sidhu and an obnoxious, bullying cousin called Bishen when he gets the call that changes his life : he has been accepted at Hogwash's School of Batcraft and Spin Wizardry.

The news might have been less of a shock for Harbi if he had known that he possessed the powers of flight, guile and deception in his index finger, but Harbi did not even know that the power to cast such spells existed in Krikit, the ancient kingdom he hails from, let alone within his own fair hand.

The author conjures up a magical world of crumbling wickets harbouring fifth-day demons, terrifying, spitting arm balls designed to strike the unwary on the back leg, together with wicked opponents such as the dreaded 'Ponting', a beast so intimidating that he temporarily defeats even our Harbi in his quest to rule the world.

Look out too for the comical Ajit - a large-eared beast and collector of ducks who becomes one of Harbi's greatest chums in this, the first of his 179 adventures which will be just like the other 178, but guaranteed to make us an absolute fortune.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Ricidulous amount of hype surrounding those books.

Can we have an interview with Stephen Fleming - the man who was slated for not converting starts, and now can't even get them! :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bazza said:
Ricidulous amount of hype surrounding those books.

Can we have an interview with Stephen Fleming - the man who was slated for not converting starts, and now can't even get them! :lol:
If the duck talks to him, you can be sure he'll be SLATERED.

Cloete

International Captain
Class Eddy, nothjing but pure and utter class oh and throw in a bit of comedy:P. here is a gem from the article.

Hitler was from Austria, which is spelt a bit like Australia. Don't mention the Waugh.
LOL:lol::lol::lol: ur classic eddy!!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
A couple of "well, fancy that"s :

(probably not going to make front page but things you ought to know anyway)

A learned lady who goes by the name of Lynn McConnell and writes for Cricinfo recently published an article entitled "Out-of-date seedings paint false picture of tournament" about the next ICC Champion's Trophy.

She bemoans the draw, which was based on 'old' world rankings and is as follows :

Pool A - Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe
Pool B - South Africa, West Indies, Kenya
Pool C - Sri Lanka, England, Bangladesh
Pool D - Pakistan, India, Netherlands

Saying : "In each of the four pools there will only be one relevant game, with two non-events being played out involving the tournament minnows".

Lynn suggests the following draw (based on 'current' rankings) :

Pool A - Australia, England, Zimbabwe
Pool B - South Africa, New Zealand, Kenya
Pool C - Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh
Pool D - Sri Lanka, India, Netherlands.

Subtle, eh? Does away with all the 'non-event' games at a stroke. Incidentally, World Cup 2003 had the following 'non-event' games based upon the rankings :

Bangladesh v Canada (Canada won by 60 runs)
Kenya v Sri Lanka (Kenya won by 53 runs)
Kenya v Zimbabwe (Kenya won by 7 wickets)

Oh, yes. It also does away with 'Australia v New Zealand' at the group stage.

Lynn McConnell is New Zealand editor for Cricinfo.

Whilst on the subject of people having their own ideas of right and wrong (and not at all anything to do with vested interests), a certain person who shall remain anonymous has passed on a rather worrying message from the official Somerset County Cricket Club website.

The message, from Mr Giles Clark (commercial chair), states that the club "... will not countenance in responding to silly and sometimes mischievous gossip emanating from other local websites."

He goes on to say "Thankfully, a vast majority of site users are purely interested in what the Club has to say officially." which is quite clever and astute of them, because there doesn't appear to be a 'feedback' mechanism on the site.

Furthermore, Mr Clark also claims a regular '40,000 - 80,000 visitors a month' and claims 1.5 million visitors last year. That means that the official site is likely to lose around half a million visitors this year alone.

The reason it's a worrying message? Well, if their current encouraging rate of increase in visitor numbers continues, there won't be anyone left in 2005 - and we wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Hang on. Only 'sometimes mischievous'?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Not the man in your sig who happened to be standing in the first game at Trent Bridge yesterdya perchance? ;)

As for the Lynn McConnell thing - just proves women know nothing about cricket!! :p (oops did I say that out loud!!! :D)

No seriously, the draw looks very interesting, South Africa and West Indies get a rematch from the world cup, (in fact all of them are but...), you have India v Pakistan and Australia v New Zealand which are always big games and then Sri Lanka v England would be a close game.

You can't do anything about the 'non-event' games, although maybe Lynn would also prefer it if New Zealand avoided the biggest potential banana skin against Zimbabwe.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Although I've often read Lynn McConnell's articles and thought "WTF?", I thought Lynn McConnell was male?

Bazza

International 12th Man
haha

Sorry could be my mistake, I've just never met a man named 'Lynn'!

As for the umpire referred to above, well it's the one who doesn't know what a wide is.....

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Bazza said:
haha

Sorry could be my mistake, I've just never met a man named 'Lynn'!

As for the umpire referred to above, well it's the one who doesn't know what a wide is.....
Bazza...

You mean Billy Bowden right?? :P ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.