• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Devil Ducky's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wednesday, 28 May, 2003

Dear Diary :

My good friends at Durham County Cricket Club have told me that Sports Nutritionists have compiled a special eating plan for England's players for the period up to and including the second nPower test match at Chester-le-Street, starting next week.
Health and Fitness professional Sarah ****erel added, "The important thing with this diet is that it provides a lot of variety and should keep the players interested in what they are eating and drinking. In turn, that makes sticking to the diet a lot easier."

A spokesman said "We are especially looking forward to working with Andrew Flintoff who, being an explosive player, requires the type of diet which will supply him with instant bursts of energy on demand."

When pressed to be more specific, Mr McDonald said "Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions on a sesame seed bun. Do you want fries with that? You can 'Go Large' for an extra 30 pence."

Shane Warne has gone on record as stating that his 12 month suspension for drug abuse will help prolong his career, saying "I'll use these 12 months wisely, come up with a few new deliveries and, hopefully, be able to play for a few years yet." Wilfred Rhodes was over 50 when he last played test cricket. He must have known one heck of a chemist.

I see one glaring omission from the Sri Lankan squad to take on the West Indies in the forthcoming ODI series - that of Russel Arnold. I spoke to Lalith Kaluperuma and asked him how hard he would be to replace. "Russel has been an invaluable member of the squad, but it is time for a change. He has been struggling for form over the last year or so, and on a couple of occasions has almost dropped the tray of drinks."

He added "Russel's technique has let him down recently, so it is time for him to go back to basics. For the next three months, he and Dilhara Fernando (currently recovering from a Gatorade-related injury) will be working as ****tail waiters at a wine bar in Kandy. When they are ready to return to the rigours of international 12th-manning, they will know."

On this day in history :

On May 28, 1967, two Yorkshiremen journeyed to Old Trafford for the annual 'Roses' match against Lancashire. On getting to the ground, the first, Mr Harold Greatorex from Brighouse, discovered that he had left his wallet containing all his money at home. His friend and driver, Mr Charles Brand of Leeds, kindly offered to pop back over the Pennines to pick it up.

Upon his return, the ashen-faced Mr Brand sought out his pal. Upon discovering him, he said "I have some dreadful news. When I got to your house, the Fire Brigade were just damping down. The house has been burned to the ground and your wife and children are dead." Mr Greatorex replied "Well, I have even worse news. Boycott's out."

There's no place for Inzy in the Pakistani squad announced yesterday, but the suspended Shoaib Akhtar is selected. Shoaib said "I look forward to the challenge of playing in England again, even though I will miss the first game."

I asked him what he thought of the Duke cricket ball. He replied "Whether it's a little harder than the Kookaburra, I'm just not sure, but it definitely keeps swinging for longer, especially in overcast conditions. A fast bowler has to be aware of this."

When asked what he likes most about England, he replied "I love the old traditions which abound over there, the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, all that stuff. When I was last over, I spoke to some people who were playing a game with nuts on a string. I think they call it 'conkers'. They take it very seriously, too, putting in hours of preparation before big championships. I'm going to try some of that."

When I asked him if he planned to take up conkers after he retires from playing first class cricket, he replied "No, I'm going to pickle my thumb nail in vinegar to make it harder."

So Graeme Smith has finally come out and given his reasons for Lance Klusener's omission from the South African cricket team. He says "Lance, as fantastic as he is, can ruin a team. He can be quite disruptive."

Klusener said "It's a joke. Fancy saying that at a business breakfast. Disruptive? It's a personal vendetta if you ask me. He's only ever played with me twice. Sure, on one occasion, I filled his box with fire ants and on the other I super-glued a frog to his helmet, but these things happen."

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
So Graeme Smith has finally come out and given his reasons for Lance Klusener's omission from the South African cricket team. He says "Lance, as fantastic as he is, can ruin a team. He can be quite disruptive."

Klusener said "It's a joke. Fancy saying that at a business breakfast. Disruptive? It's a personal vendetta if you ask me. He's only ever played with me twice. Sure, on one occasion, I filled his box with fire ants and on the other I super-glued a frog to his helmet, but these things happen."
Genius.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Brilliant yet again, LE have you considered becoming a comedian colomunist like Cyrus Brochaskar was on cricketnext.com.

P.S: Does anyone know why he stopped writing.....he was indeed hilarious...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
R_Powell_fan said:
Brilliant yet again, LE have you considered becoming a comedian colomunist like Cyrus Brochaskar was on cricketnext.com.

Yes.

You have to realise, though, that I am very new to this, how you say, comedy.

Including WC2003, that makes, er, 2 (ok, say 100 postings along the theme of cricket comedy). Now if my portfolio was as long as, say, AA's run of ducks against Australia, I'd have something to show prospective employers.

This column hasn't got a very wide readership (yet). I know this to be a fact because no-one's threatened to sue me (also yet)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Duck makes front-page news - Important announcement

From this weekend, DD will be featured on Cricket Web's front page. It will be a weekly column as opposed to daily, and may even be funny on occasion.

Feel free to continue posting suggestions, complaints, death threats (marc and rik) and the like in this thread, and I promise that I will continue to ignore them.

It may mean that your daily ration of guffaws will be a little shorter than in the past, but you can be sure that a few choice morsels will still make it into this thread.

However, you can rest assured that the weekend's take on the previous week's news will be, er, (voice fades into distance)

LE (and DD)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thursday, 29 May, 2003

Dear Diary :

I see that Western Australia will be using former Aussie quick Wayne Clark as a coach for season 2003/04. The club are planning on taking his teeth out before fitting the seats. Clark took 44 wickets in just 10 test matches for Australia in the late 1970's.

Clark, who was once reported as saying (about Yorkshire) "This county is infectious. It gets inside you. I will always take a little piece of Yorkshire with me wherever I go" is currently in England negotiating a settlement following his contentious dismissal from the northern county at the end of last season.

Asked why club and former coach cannot come to an amicable settlement, Chairman Bob Platt (who had previously appointed Clark in 2001 on a 3-year contract) said "We've offered him Barnsley but he's turned us down."

The headline read "Kenya to use Moles."

The advantages are immense, of course. Moles are almost blind, but have an acute sense of smell. If they can transmit this ability to the players, then even bad light will have no fear for them. "Hmmm, (sniff) an out-swinger". Then there's the state of the wicket. A hump here, a little hill there, Collins Obuya will be unplayable.

On the other hand, moles eat insects and worms. If England ever travel to Kenya, they'll have to go there without ECB Chief Executive Tim Lamb.

Perhaps I should have read the article.

It has been reported that the Australian cricket team had no less than 42 items pinched at Trinidad airport on Monday last.

Amongst items reported missing are Andy Bichel's famous World Cup 2003 bat (of great sentimental value, because it's the only one he's ever hit a ball with), Andrew Symonds' special 'Factor 5,000' lip-sunblock and Glenn McGrath's temper.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
It has been reported that the Australian cricket team had no less than 42 items pinched at Trinidad airport on Monday last.

Amongst items reported missing are Andy Bichel's famous World Cup 2003 bat (of great sentimental value, because it's the only one he's ever hit a ball with), Andrew Symonds' special 'Factor 5,000' lip-sunblock and Glenn McGrath's temper.
Classic DD. Simply classic. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Friday, 30 May, 2003

Dear Diary :

A short entry today because those slavedrivers at Cricket Web have got me to, er, sorry. I'll come in again...

A short entry today because I've kept back a few for the new front page column which starts tomorrow (OK, a couple of tomorrow's are in here too)...

Enjoy (I hope) :

Are you aware that Javed Miandad, two months into his fourth spell as Pakistan's head coach, hasn't been paid "One single Rupee" yet? Miandad, the tenth coach for the country in five years, would do well to avoid the type of contract which Richard Pybus was on. He must have known his days were numbered from the start when the PCB offered him a daily rate.

Bob Platt has countered criticism aimed at the club surrounding the latest fast bowler injury crisis which has hit Yorkshire. "There is no truth whatsoever that our players are over-trained" he said, following reports that Ryan Sidebottom and Matthew Hoggard have joined the ever-lengthening queue for the treatment room.

"They are treated like thoroughbred racehorses, honed to perfection, then brought to a peak for the big events." When asked about Hoggard's injury, he replied "It's a nasty torn cartilage, and he's in quite a bit of pain. If it doesn't respond to treatment by Sunday, I'll shoot him myself."

A report in a Pakistan newspaper has claimed that Abdul Razzaq's omission from the Pakistan NatWest Challenge squad to play England was because of an 'attitude problem'. I caught up with the player himself at Shenley where Middlesex are currently entertaining Zimbabwe.

Taking his thumb out of his mouth, Razzaq told Cricket Web "There's no truth in the rumour at all - a complete and utter fabrication of the truth. I am a professional cricketer and I take great pride in playing for my club and country."

When Middlesex skipper Andy Strauss was dismissed for a duck, Razzaq, who was not named in the starting eleven, shouted "Ha ha, yah boo sucks!"

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For those of you who haven't seen it, the new DD column is accessible from the front page.

For those of you who have seen it, go back and have another look (because I've added another 'news' item)

DD's thing

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tuesday, 3 June, 2003

Dear Diary (sneak preview) :

June 1, 2003 may well go down in history as 'Australia's blackest day for centuries', but where does the problem lie? A nine wicket defeat at the hands of the West Indies continued the Aussies' unhappy losing streak. It was their third defeat in as many games - the first time that had happened against the same team since 1997 when England were victorious.

A few well-known observers had this to say:

"The boys look really tired and jaded. One of these will soon pick them up." - Shane Warne's mum

"Well, of course the blame for this lies fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the captain, Nasser Hussain. Fast bowlers don't need treatment like that. Let them get on with it." - Ian Botham

"Well, the problem with the one-day squad is that the captain is not the test captain. Sack Steve Waugh now. He never was any good, and he certainly shouldn't be let anywhere near the one-day side. He should have been replaced as one-day captain after the South African series in 2002. Not only that, he should never have been appointed in the first place. And Ponting's too closely associated with Steve Waugh, who I suspect just might be Jack The Ripper anyway. He's rubbish. David Hookes could captain this side better." - David Hookes

"The day Steve Waugh handed over the captaincy of the budding orchid that was ultimately to bloom in the land of the proteas, a comet of joy streaked through the cosmos of my heart. Whither the foul stench of the stinkweed of defeat? Banished to the nether regions of the dank, soulless abyss that is the domain of the ogre that is self-doubt. Festoons, the garlands filleth mine eyes with tears of joy whenever I behold the unfettered beauty of Gillespie's caress behind square stealing the single and rotating the bountiful strike as onward they press, onward, always onward, searching, striving to metamorphose this beautiful game to a higher plane. The broad-leafed palms sway as if in unison with the rhythm of Mother Earth herself, stooping low towards the domain of Neptune as the waves lap restlessly upon the shoreline that is to become the lower middle order in search of the glorious boundary that causes my heart to leap as if in avoidance of the aforementioned comet. It is not a comet - it is a meteorite hell-bent upon the destruction of the side. Like the dinosaurs before them, this Australian side will be extinguished as a fluttering, flickering meagre candle that has become a wan beacon, more of despair than hope. I'm sorry, what was the question again?" - Navjot Singh Sidhu

"I agree with Hookesey - apart from the fact that I think the best player to have as captain would be a fast bowler. Tall, blond, lightning-quick - someone like that. I mean, age should be no restriction. I'd go for someone a little more mature - say, 52 years old and with a couple of hundred test wickets." - Jeff Thomson

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
*Cries with Laughter*

That's as good as I've seen since the "WI Slip Cordon" Episode.

Oh, and are we getting DD's Essentials for the WC Final? ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
*Cries with Laughter*

That's as good as I've seen since the "WI Slip Cordon" Episode.

Oh, and are we getting DD's Essentials for the WC Final? ;)
Oops:O I'm going to do it next week as a 'special' in the DD weekly column. I appreciate that there are people who STILL don't know what happened in the World Cup final. Three months on tenterhooks is a mite long.

Status
Not open for further replies.