• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reporting Posts

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given the latest banning, I would just like to ask what is the point in Reporting Posts? I lost count of the number of times that I reported posts by that guy rather than responding to him. I gave up in the end as I didn't have any response whatsoever.

You guys really need to bring in some way of notifying people who have reported posts what the response is (unless it's reporting a spam bot) as they way things are dealt with at the moment just causes unnecessary annoyance.

This whole train of events has been farcical from start to finish, and I for one blame Phlegm.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I can see why you'd think that, but there is a reason. We do receive an awful lot of Reported Posts on a daily basis and to give each one an individual response which potentially leads itself into an on-going conversation just isn't practical.

He do however welcome questions/feedback through moderators@cricketweb.net

HeathDavisSpeed

Yes, I understand that James. However - and I'm not professing to have the answer here - you need to do something about this. You ask people to report posts rather than respond, but unless people know their issues are at least vaguely being dealt with then you will end up having the issues you've had recently with long term members losing their temper. I honestly think it'd be better if you notify the reporting poster if their report results in an infraction. The default position being no response = no infraction. Blunt, but better than right now.

I know you can only act if you have evidence, but people have known for ages that some of these multis are the same regular offender; yet that account has only had the occasional slap on the wrist despite regular trolling. It may sound harsh, but it makes you all look a little naive - though I know that not to be the case.

Flem274*

123/5
We don't respond officially every time for the reasons James has outlined above.

Personally I'm quite happy to respond to cases. I've done it off the forum, but I'm quite happy for someone to leave me a VM with their email address as well. I can't respond to absolutely everything, but if it looks important I'll get in touch.

If you spam my wall with questions about reported posts though, I'll probably give out your email address to various Nigerian banks.;)

Oh, and I fully agree with the summary of my moderatership Ding Dong presents in the future.:cool:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt the thread will be locked after my post but after months of biting my tongue I have to say...

I am very pleased with the banning. He seemed to be granted a lot of latitude with his posts 30% of them were poor for forum atmosphere. I stopped going into the India England subforum just so I wouldn't read the posts of him and his underlings. While I am disparaging his character his command of the English language was appalling - I have never read so many hackneyed phrases. If I had to read "end of" at the end of a sentence again I was going to scream.

As for the thread topic I have only ever reported two posts and the response was effective. Two thumbs up from me - although I did also send an email in as well. When you report a post you want action - I guess if there are too many to respond to then that explains it.

Best Wishes,

Hurricane

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a joke that Corrin and I can get lengthy bans for affecting forum atmosphere whilst Bun was given almost free reign to wreck the joint. This is completely unrelated to the fact that he's Precam, but it's a been a pattern with problematic users for a while now.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Personally, I've never had issues with receiving responses for posts I've reported to Flem274*, especially when said reports are wrapped up with a "BTW, ***eh, what are you wearing now?".

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I understand that James. However - and I'm not professing to have the answer here - you need to do something about this. You ask people to report posts rather than respond, but unless people know their issues are at least vaguely being dealt with then you will end up having the issues you've had recently with long term members losing their temper. I honestly think it'd be better if you notify the reporting poster if their report results in an infraction. The default position being no response = no infraction. Blunt, but better than right now.
Yeah, that would be better but don't know how it will affect people losing/not losing their tempers though.
As if then when they report the posts, and the moderators decide it isn't infraction worthy, which is probably the case with most of the reports, then the poster who has reported the post will still lose his temper and complain all around. And, also when someone else is banned or infracted for something then that previous non infracted reported post will be used to draw some sort of comparison with a infracted post.(just based on whether the poster is liked or not in general.

Knowing what the report has resulted in would be helpful, but it certainly won't solve the problem you are mentioning unless it has resulted in a warning/infraction for sure(In which case if the infracted poster gets to know who reported the post, it leads to further animosity and arguments). Infact, it could further aggravate the situation and give reasons for people to complain further as there are bound to be perceived inconsistencies, specially for those who think there is a agenda.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Would there not be a way to have an automated response on reading the report saying 'We've read your report, and we'll act accordingly'. That way people are pacified its not just been ignored. Also it would be nice to here if your report has lead to action, but can appreciate that would require too much work.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Would there not be a way to have an automated response on reading the report saying 'We've read your report, and we'll act accordingly'. That way people are pacified its not just been ignored. Also it would be nice to here if your report has lead to action, but can appreciate that would require too much work.
Would that kind of automated response help? I think most people know that's what we do anyway.

In terms of keeping people informed, after people's feedback we are making a concerted effort in thread to say when posts are out of order as well as infracting. I'm not saying we always do this as it can be counter-productive (eg. can derail the thread again, can be easier to speak to people without 'humiliating' them in front of everyone), and we can sometimes just forget or not have time, but it is something we are trying to do more.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Do you respond to any post reports at all? I know you can't respond to all of them, but do any get a response?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you respond to any post reports at all? I know you can't respond to all of them, but do any get a response?
I think we wouldn't VM or email someone directly because of a post report, we'd just comment in thread if at all, that way everyone can see it. But if someone comes back to us by VM/email about the post report we would reply... obviously unless we're snowed under with people doing it lots, it becomes impossible then.

grecian

It's a joke that Corrin and I can get lengthy bans for affecting forum atmosphere whilst Bun was given almost free reign to wreck the joint. This is completely unrelated to the fact that he's Precam, but it's a been a pattern with problematic users for a while now.

Indeed, can't say I'm terribly excited about the banning, just means it will all start up again.

I particularly will enjoy the mealy-mouthed "don't victimize >obvious pre-cam multi<, it's bullying, there's no proof", followed by >obvious pre-cam multi< playing up his victim status by saying, "I was going to leave, but I won't now, because I'm standing up to the bullies".

Then the inevitable banning after he's destroyed most discussion, wonder who'll cop a ban for stating the bleeding obvious next time, odds-on Furball, I guess.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
as far as i can tell our only option is to ban all new posters for the foreseeable future. Just as well too. This place just isn't cliquey enough.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think I've made my feelings on the subject pretty clear.

Thing is there's still one very obvious Precam multi already in situ and another who (my lawyers have advised me to say) one suspected very strongly who copped a ban before Bun did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I know you can only act if you have evidence, but people have known for ages that some of these multis are the same regular offender; yet that account has only had the occasional slap on the wrist despite regular trolling. It may sound harsh, but it makes you all look a little naive - though I know that not to be the case.
If you want a response, don't use the report function; email us instead and outline your problem. We don't argue with members over email but if they have an issue we'll endeavour to give the best explanation we can should they email us.