• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ignore feature on this forum is utterly pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Greetings,

As you all know, I recently served a one month ban from the forums for being a bit of a dick. Since coming back I have tried to post more positively and have decided that the best tactic for dealing with posters who previously I might have given a bit of a spray is instead to place them on ignore instead, so that I don't have to read whatever cretinous rubbish is being posted by them. If I can't read it, then I can't respond to it.

However, the ignore function completely defeats this by giving me an option to view the post anytime I want by clicking "view post." I'll leave aside the whole "people quoting the person I have on ignore" problem, I can't see how that can be avoided short of ignoring literally every poster on the forum, but if I wanted to see what certain people were posting on this forum, then I wouldn't have them on ignore in the first place.

Is there anyway the ignore function can be enhanced so that it actually allows me to ignore posters by not even acknowledging that they've posted, instead of the "I know you don't care what this person has to say but here's a copy of it anyway for you to look at whenever you want" approach that the ignore function currently takes?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF it's in your remit not to click on the "view post" option, but having had similar issues with someone I had on ignore, I do sympathise with ignoree's posts showing when quoted. Deeply, deeply annoying.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ignore is also pointless because you ignore one guy and then all of a sudden he's posting with his 19 multis, gave up in the end

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TBF it's in your remit not to click on the "view post" option, but having had similar issues with someone I had on ignore, I do sympathise with ignoree's posts showing when quoted. Deeply, deeply annoying.
True, but I don't want to be shown that "this message has been hidden because Poster X is on your ignore list" with an option to view it anyway, that just defeats the purpose of having somone on your ignore list in the first place.

cpr

International Coach
Know how GF feels, I've had posters on ignore before, only to find they've posted in a thread I want to post in, and its tough not to sneak a peek at what they've said

I found it easier NOT to use ignore, then skim blankly over what they said in my head.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, but I don't want to be shown that "this message has been hidden because Poster X is on your ignore list" with an option to view it anyway, that just defeats the purpose of having somone on your ignore list in the first place.
No it doesn't. It takes a millisecond to glance over it and continue scrolling down, instead of reading the post halfway through, absorbing it in, then realising that you hate this poster. It will work if you want it to work. How hard is it to not click the view post button?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No it doesn't. It takes a millisecond to glance over it and continue scrolling down, instead of reading the post halfway through, absorbing it in, then realising that you hate this poster. It will work if you want it to work. How hard is it to not click the view post button?
This.

Not that hard to ignore a post from a poster not on the ignore list either tbh. Or just laugh and move on and respond only when you want too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty hard when you're a nosy bastard like me.

Although to be fair I'm getting better at it.

edit: ironically I went over to the match thread after posting this and Daemon has annoyingly quoted someone on my ignore list.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Know how GF feels, I've had posters on ignore before, only to find they've posted in a thread I want to post in, and its tough not to sneak a peek at what they've said

I found it easier NOT to use ignore, then skim blankly over what they said in my head.
That's like me blaming the biscuits for being a fat **** tho.

Although, tbf, I can't have them in the house because the temptation is too great, so can see what you mean.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Greetings,

As you all know, I recently served a one month ban from the forums for being a bit of a dick. Since coming back I have tried to post more positively and have decided that the best tactic for dealing with posters who previously I might have given a bit of a spray is instead to place them on ignore instead, so that I don't have to read whatever cretinous rubbish is being posted by them. If I can't read it, then I can't respond to it.

However, the ignore function completely defeats this by giving me an option to view the post anytime I want by clicking "view post." I'll leave aside the whole "people quoting the person I have on ignore" problem, I can't see how that can be avoided short of ignoring literally every poster on the forum, but if I wanted to see what certain people were posting on this forum, then I wouldn't have them on ignore in the first place.

Is there anyway the ignore function can be enhanced so that it actually allows me to ignore posters by not even acknowledging that they've posted, instead of the "I know you don't care what this person has to say but here's a copy of it anyway for you to look at whenever you want" approach that the ignore function currently takes?
It's not something we can change within the settings in a normal fashion, however we can install a product that someone else created. Depends if James is keen on adding more modifications to the forum; it does make it harder to update forum software, move servers etc.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Multi detector being one? Waste of bandwidth. I can do that. Given the sceptism certain members have towards technology in cricket, we should adopt the same approach to multi hunting.

I'll start Monday. Busy weekend ahead.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you want the suggestion in this thread to be taken seriously at all, you'll stop posting about ****ing multis. We're quite aware of your stance on that already - not every SD thread is a new excuse for you to take the discussion down that road.

cpr

International Coach
That's like me blaming the biscuits for being a fat **** tho.

Although, tbf, I can't have them in the house because the temptation is too great, so can see what you mean.

Very good analogy.

(And yes its the biscuits fault, and Sainsburies for having them on offer. I'm sticking to that excuse.)

Status
Not open for further replies.