• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A plea for non-discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flem274*

123/5
It seems that a lot of the trouble and controversy that has appeared in the last few months has appeared after the introduction of the infraction system. It seems to have opened a whole new argument over what is infraction worthy and what isn't. Is the infraction system really worth having? I personally think it's a bit of a joke at times. We had a working moderating system before it's introduction, did we not?
I have views on the infraction system, but I don't think the infraction system is to blame here. Members have issues with what we decide/do not decide to penalise, and what system we have doesn't make a difference. It is our judgement being called into question.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good point Kylez and I would be inclined to agree. I thought infractions were a good idea at the time and that they would lead to more transparency, but they really haven't done any such thing.

While I've disagreed with a few of my infractions and not others, the one that bugged me most was a profile infraction I receieved for abusing Bun via VM (I had accused him of being a multi about a week earlier). This is all fine and dandy but I'd received an infraction one day earlier, also a profile infraction and also for abusing Bun. I found this ******** on the basis that one of the benefits of infractions from a member's POV is supposed to be that we can adjust our 'behaviour' to prevent us getting fuirther ones. So to receive two in two days for the same offence, when the earlier infraction was the later offence annoyed me, no end. After getting the first one I made a decision not to interact with Bun and then a few hours later find myself on the brink of a ban anyway, with the second infraction lasting until 2012. And my point isn't to discuss that but just to give an example of the mods doing whatever the **** they want with infractions. The poor handling of the Furball situation demonstrates this as well - basically it was we felt he needed to be banned so gave him a bunch of infraction points to get it done - forget about whether he should be banned or not, that's just rendering the infraction system pointless.

EWS and Flem make some decent arguments in their posts, that being said I don't doubt the intentions of most of the mods anyway, it's the execution. Hearing that there is no mod policy to protect Tendulkar is not earth shattering news but the point I've made in this thread, and my own one before fos shut it down, is that they often judge a post's intentions through the reaction it receives. Trolling is obviously a subjective matter but I'll restate again that I was warned for calling the India bowlers clowns, and this was because it was more likely to get a negative reaction than if the same was stated in reverse. Truth is the truth hurts, you see. The India bowlers ARE clowns, of the highest order, and to me the fact that I was warned because some people are likely to act like dicks over their team being criticised is suggestive of the way things work; I called many players from Australia clowns over the winter to absolutely zero censure.

I do find it concerning that Flem says 'dire posting' in his post because I don't think the mods should be the safeguards of what opinions people hold.

And to answer Jono, I have to admit I am genuinely surprised people were so against Furball's posting as aside from calling Cevno a ****ing moron I honestly didn't see much wrong in his general posting, but I'm clearly in a minority there. But you're bang on the money to suggest I believe others should have been taken care of in the same way as I can think of a few posters who drag the forum atmosphere in the same way all the time.

Bah, wrote too much

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't know that - can I have a link?

....just so I can carry out some parental censorship :ph34r:
Ahh you really don't want to know. It's a terrible place where basically anything goes and no-one takes anything seriously, ever. I see Corrin has linked you anyway though. :(

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:blink: If it wasn't liable to get me infracted I'd begin to wonder if Cribb and Corrin were one and the same

Flem274*

123/5
I'll address your infraction in a later post GIMH because I need to go back and read the specifics of it.

I do find it concerning that Flem says 'dire posting' in his post because I don't think the mods should be the safeguards of what opinions people hold.
I'm going to stress here that we are not the opinion police. A decent percentage of reported posts are from someone disagreeing with a controversial opinion and overreacting, and we pass those over in favour of cases that need attention. When I talk about extremely poor posting, the cases in question are almost always forum atmosphere issues. The most recent example involved a member where half the forum, including my non-moderator self at the time, were reporting this person for their antics.

The problem was they weren't breaking any rules as such, they were just unbelievably annoying to deal with. It got to the point where respected members started flaming this poster because of the way they were expressing their alternative opinions. The moderators had to step in, and they did.

We will never be the opinion police, you have my word on it, and I'm certain my fellow mods will say the same. We're here to serve and protect CricketWeb and it's members, and sometimes when the forum is exploding over the poor quality of one member's posts, that requires removing them from the forum for a while as a last resort if they can't lift their game after multiple requests from the moderation team to do so.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Having been at this site for about a year now I am of the opinion that the moderation is generally at a good level. I don't think I can complain too much.

The India-Eng series has had a bit of acrimony between some of the fans due to which I feel that certain members think that there has been unfair penalization going on. I do believe that the mods have a more clear picture of the posting of individual members because they are the ones who know the posting history and the posts which have been reported.

Also have been at PEWS other website and having frequented some of the other cricket forums I do agree with PEWS that the level of discussion on this forum is much better than other places and it is something that should be preserved even if the level of policing has to go up.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While GF should've banned and was clearly trolling, I tend to think that he's not the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daemon

While GF should've banned and was clearly trolling, I tend to think that he's not the only one.
I think bun has a buttload of infractions already tbh. He's hinted so himself at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He got an 8-pointer and that wasn't enough to get him a ban, so he can't have had many in the last few months.

morgieb

Most of them are for txtspk though IIRC; such an easy thing for him to control...
Yeah that's strange particularly given he's proven he can actually post properly.

IMO the moderation is good here. On Cribb's other forum 95% of the posts there are taking the piss, and there are even admins there that troll IMO. What's worse, even the serious sections are full of dickheads taking the piss out of someone, and nothing gets done! Here, most of the trolling/etc. is all in good nature, and most of discussion in serious sections is actually quality.

I realise it's like comparing apples and oranges, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.