• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A plea for non-discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, you do make a fair point. shivfan's first post was fine (well, it wasn't, talking about how "all his friends agreed", but he wasn't doing anything wrong expressing his opinions, however **** they might have been), second one even you could let go. But by the 19th time. Jesus.

Nonetheless, look at some of the things that people have been pulled up for saying about Tendulkar. We have an India fan being asked to stop calling him chokedulkar. Now Voltman might be right - maybe that will cause a bad forum atmosphere. But when an India fan is doing it, you're pushing it calling it trolling. So why will it cause a bad atmosphere. Because there are people who are likely to overreact, that's why! It is the people who overreact that are the problem, IMO, because I can guarantee you if I reacted to Broad being called a Ladyboy in an OTT manner, it would be me and not the perpetrator who was on the receiving end of the mod's ire.
Rest of the post only the mods can respond tbh, but there is a difference between calling Sreesanth or Harbhajan a dick or Yuvraj a waterboy , Rohit Sharma - Nohit Sharma, Mcgrath a Giraffe or Stuart Broad a Ladyboy and calling Sachin - Chokedulkar continuously in 3 seperate threads at the same time.
Once twice thrice maybe fine when he gets out but not continuously in ever thread. It would be like some poster going into 3 seperate threads and then calling Bradman "Chokeman" because of his last innings. May be a opinion but is bound to cause reactions when there is no really really clear basis for it. Comes with the status you could say to an extent too, though context obviously matters.
As for Gingerfurball, don't want to get into a debate but those posts you posted were only examples of posts from him. There were many others too,imo.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I assumed GF had been banned because he'd been carrying on like a pork chop in one of the match threads not so long ago. Read a couple of pages or so of him just making unnecessary snipes at other posters, which came across pretty poorly.

Didn't realise it had anything to do with criticising Tendulkar...I don't really think the criticism of another team's player should result in an infraction, unless it's particularly malicious. Most of what I've seen on here is just people mucking around and having a bit of a joke with each other about players from the opposition team.

There's always the chance the player themselves will log onto Cricketweb and personal embarrassment will result of course :ph34r:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
GF has been going off the rails lately. It's no surprise he got banned.

tbf I'd probably be offended if someone went around and called Bradman a buffoon and it feels that some of the comments made about Tendulkar are intentionally designed to stir up a strong response from his fans - It's something I admittedly enjoy doing sometimes

Athlai

Not Terrible

tbf I'd probably be offended if someone went around and called Bradman a buffoon and it feels that some of the comments made about Tendulkar are intentionally designed to stir up a strong response from his fans - It's something I admittedly enjoy doing sometimes
^ GS knows his stuff.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Although I agree with the Tang man that Tendulkar shouldn't get absolute protection from any negative words, it was clear as day Furball had been deliberately trolling Indian fans for ages. I remember reading a post of his basically saying Tendulkar was **** because he never makes runs under pressure and basically is a downhill skiier.

Now that's either one of two things. It's either an obvious troll or just an absolutely bat **** stupid post. Either way we don't want those types of posts on here.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty sure if anyone tells me they're offended/I realise people are getting offended by me insulting Broad or any other player, I'd stop doing it and deliberately posting insults in order to incite reactions. It may seem to the poster that he is disguising it really well but it's pretty obvious when a post is made just to have a go at someone, instead of that persons honest views.

smash84

The Tiger King

great post....

I see that one week banning has done GS a world of good :ph34r:

Have to agree that the level of protection does depend on the player's status to a huge extent.

Nobody offered any protection to poor Mohammad Sami :ph34r:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
For anyone following it is as clear as day that there is far too much sensitivity around Sachin and the Indian team. Yes, let's not generalise; it is not everybody, but let's not deny the obvious.

If a fan wants to say that Sachin chokes under pressure or say Chokedulkar, then they should be able to considering lord knows how many people still call Hayden an FTB or make fun of Broad's ***ual orientation.

Sure, context plays a part but the problem is the sensitivity has gotten to such a point that no one can ever joke about the others because everyone knows there is undue sensitivity. That's almost automatically taken; as if the person who starts to lighten the mood or joke around is doing so as a troll.

cpr

International Coach
Mocking Tendulkar is probably the easiest way to provoke a section of Indian fans and it is often the motive behind positng negatively about Mr. T. That IMO is the reason why negative posts about Mr. T get special attention.

So if all us English posters decide to take massive offense to any jibe at Broad, will that lead to bans for those who ridicule him?

Or will we get told to grow up?

And is that fair and equal?

smash84

The Tiger King
yes if all Pakistan fans were to take offense at jibes and references to Sami (I know it is impossible to take offense at anything that anybody says or does to Sami but let's suppose) then should there be bans and infractions for ridiculing Sami? :ph34r:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So if all us English posters decide to take massive offense to any jibe at Broad, will that lead to bans for those who ridicule him?

Or will we get told to grow up?

And is that fair and equal?
I am not sure If Tendulkar Vs. Broad is a fair comparison. A lot of the criticism Broad get is basically because of his own behavior, a similar comparison would be someone like Harbhajan. Bhajji gets the abuse even when he does some good. I do not remember many fans complaining about Non-Indian Members having a go at Bhajji.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OK, if Tendulkar vs Broad isn't fair, what about the constant comments about England's foreigners?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
OK, if Tendulkar vs Broad isn't fair, what about the constant comments about England's foreigners?
I am sure a lot of those comments are passed to rile up the English fans. And those member should be warned and if they still do not understand then they should be banned.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I am not sure If Tendulkar Vs. Broad is a fair comparison. A lot of the criticism Broad get is basically because of his own behavior, a similar comparison would be someone like Harbhajan. Bhajji gets the abuse even when he does some good. I do not remember many fans complaining about Non-Indian Members having a go at Bhajji.
Fair point and (IMHO) there does seem to be something of an unwritten rule about chaps whose on-field behaviour being less than one might hope for being fairer game than those who comport themselves with a certain dignity.

However, it must be said, Sachin isn't quite a latterday saint like (say) Dravid or Gilchrist. The quibbles are relatively minor ones, but one might perhaps say he could be called up on his selective deafness or his pernickety complaining about the Edgbaston sightscreens.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
While I disagree with you that Sachin isn't a saint like Dravid/Gilly, I can understand why anyone would hold such an opinion (e.g. Monkey Gate). And fans do call up on his selective deafness whenever they can and I don't think anyone protests those comments.

Bun

Banned
Fair point and (IMHO) there does seem to be something of an unwritten rule about chaps whose on-field behaviour being less than one might hope for being fairer game than those who comport themselves with a certain dignity.

However, it must be said, Sachin isn't quite a latterday saint like (say) Dravid or Gilchrist. The quibbles are relatively minor ones, but one might perhaps say he could be called up on his selective deafness or his pernickety complaining about the Edgbaston sightscreens.
Lol, that's scavenging the bottom of the barrell looking for having a go at Sachin... dire.

Status
Not open for further replies.