Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A plea for non-discrimination

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I don't think so. I might be missing it for reasons I have stated, but considering the recent reactions of neutral posters that aren't prejudiced against either team, I'm inclined to believe that it's not an equal give and take like what you make it to be.

I agree that the example you provide should not be grounds for infarction, but I wouldn't for one second pretend that that's representative of the instances that have led to a couple of recent bannings. Those were clearly a build up of posts deliberately designed with intention to provoke.
    Well a lot of people say Furball has been trolling, yet every cricket related post he's made, however much people might be peeved by it, matches up with the real opinions he's expressed when I've talked cricket with him off the forum.

I can't really go into detail with other examples, because if I call names out, mods will shut this thread down. That's the sad state of affairs round these parts currently.

How many people have ever been infracted for saying something about Tendulkar? Would love to see some data comparing it with any other player. Reckon I've seen as much trash thrown at Broad, Mitchell Johnson, Ravi Belowpara (see what I did there) etc.

I'd actually ****ing be happier if people just came out and said it was cultural sensitivity because insulting Tendulkar is akin to insulting someone's religion. I'd find that more satisfying that all this nonsense context bull**** that contradicts itself at every second turn.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

You've made up your mind, GIMH. Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Simon Champion!
    Btw, when was anyone infracted for Saying anything about Tendulkar?

The one which seems to be famous is "Tendulkar is a Buffoon" one and i don't really know the context to it clearly , but if i suddenly bump into a thread about Bradman and say "Bradman was a buffoon" without any context or explanation to provoke a reaction i would expect to be infracted or warned too.

Also many people have called Tendulkar a buffoon jokingly after that and don't think anyone has been infracted or warned for that?
    Though i someone goes into every thread about him to call him a buffoon i guess he would.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Also have seen Sachin called a lot of things too, it is all a matter of what context it is used in and how repetitive aka Shivfan and the West Indies/India series it is(which was a valid opinion for the first few times before it became irritating and just trolling).
    Okay, you do make a fair point. shivfan's first post was fine (well, it wasn't, talking about how "all his friends agreed", but he wasn't doing anything wrong expressing his opinions, however **** they might have been), second one even you could let go. But by the 19th time. Jesus.

Nonetheless, look at some of the things that people have been pulled up for saying about Tendulkar. We have an India fan being asked to stop calling him chokedulkar. Now Voltman might be right - maybe that will cause a bad forum atmosphere. But when an India fan is doing it, you're pushing it calling it trolling. So why will it cause a bad atmosphere. Because there are people who are likely to overreact, that's why! It is the people who overreact that are the problem, IMO, because I can guarantee you if I reacted to Broad being called a Ladyboy in an OTT manner, it would be me and not the perpetrator who was on the receiving end of the mod's ire.

I made this point along similar lines about the infraction Burgey received lately for expressing a perfectly legitimate opinion. Mods wouldn't have gone near the post if people hadn't responded childishly to it.

Mods can't get everything perfect and I don't expect them to, but if as many people think things are happening this way as there are who believe the opposite, then something is obviously happening to cause that perception.

Of course, it could be that the moderation just isn't transparent enough. There is no doubt that one of the worst facets of the moderation currently is the atrocious communication. Have a look at Scaly Piscine's signature. Even if the mods don't have much to say in response to him, a reply to say "we stand by the ban" would be courteous. Furball has queried them about the length of his ban, and hasn't received response yet (or hadn't more than a day after sending the email anyway). It's not good enough. And when threads like the one I made the other day are locked, it only fuels the feelings people like me have. Call them conspiracy theories or facts depending on which side you are on, the bottom line is the belief will only burn stronger if mods refuse to discuss these points and run around with their padlocks.

My kids have just finished eating so I'm gonna sort a film out for them now, that's my two cents anyway, like it or hate it, I'm just calling it as I see it.

GIMH, don't be mad. English team has been taking the revenge for all the discrimination faced by English fans on this forum.

International 12th Man weeman27bob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Mods can't get everything perfect and I don't expect them to
    Can we get MDRS into play, or will the Indians refuse?

Simon Champion!
    Okay, you do make a fair point. shivfan's first post was fine (well, it wasn't, talking about how "all his friends agreed", but he wasn't doing anything wrong expressing his opinions, however **** they might have been), second one even you could let go. But by the 19th time. Jesus.

Nonetheless, look at some of the things that people have been pulled up for saying about Tendulkar. We have an India fan being asked to stop calling him chokedulkar. Now Voltman might be right - maybe that will cause a bad forum atmosphere. But when an India fan is doing it, you're pushing it calling it trolling. So why will it cause a bad atmosphere. Because there are people who are likely to overreact, that's why! It is the people who overreact that are the problem, IMO, because I can guarantee you if I reacted to Broad being called a Ladyboy in an OTT manner, it would be me and not the perpetrator who was on the receiving end of the mod's ire.

Rest of the post only the mods can respond tbh, but there is a difference between calling Sreesanth or Harbhajan a dick or Yuvraj a waterboy , Rohit Sharma - Nohit Sharma, Mcgrath a Giraffe or Stuart Broad a Ladyboy and calling Sachin - Chokedulkar continuously in 3 seperate threads at the same time.
    Once twice thrice maybe fine when he gets out but not continuously in ever thread. It would be like some poster going into 3 seperate threads and then calling Bradman "Chokeman" because of his last innings. May be a opinion but is bound to cause reactions when there is no really really clear basis for it. Comes with the status you could say to an extent too, though context obviously matters.
    As for Gingerfurball, don't want to get into a debate but those posts you posted were only examples of posts from him. There were many others too,imo.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    My kids have just finished eating so I'm gonna sort a film out for them now.
    Haha I know this is OT, but that's so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Haha I know this is OT, but that's so cute.
    ... until we find out he's put "The World According to Axl Rose" on for them to watch.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I assumed GF had been banned because he'd been carrying on like a pork chop in one of the match threads not so long ago. Read a couple of pages or so of him just making unnecessary snipes at other posters, which came across pretty poorly.

Didn't realise it had anything to do with criticising Tendulkar...I don't really think the criticism of another team's player should result in an infraction, unless it's particularly malicious. Most of what I've seen on here is just people mucking around and having a bit of a joke with each other about players from the opposition team.

There's always the chance the player themselves will log onto Cricketweb and personal embarrassment will result of course
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    GF has been going off the rails lately. It's no surprise he got banned.

tbf I'd probably be offended if someone went around and called Bradman a buffoon and it feels that some of the comments made about Tendulkar are intentionally designed to stir up a strong response from his fans - It's something I admittedly enjoy doing sometimes
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post

tbf I'd probably be offended if someone went around and called Bradman a buffoon and it feels that some of the comments made about Tendulkar are intentionally designed to stir up a strong response from his fans - It's something I admittedly enjoy doing sometimes
    ^ GS knows his stuff.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Although I agree with the Tang man that Tendulkar shouldn't get absolute protection from any negative words, it was clear as day Furball had been deliberately trolling Indian fans for ages. I remember reading a post of his basically saying Tendulkar was **** because he never makes runs under pressure and basically is a downhill skiier.

Now that's either one of two things. It's either an obvious troll or just an absolutely bat **** stupid post. Either way we don't want those types of posts on here.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I'm pretty sure if anyone tells me they're offended/I realise people are getting offended by me insulting Broad or any other player, I'd stop doing it and deliberately posting insults in order to incite reactions. It may seem to the poster that he is disguising it really well but it's pretty obvious when a post is made just to have a go at someone, instead of that persons honest views.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post

great post....

I see that one week banning has done GS a world of good

Have to agree that the level of protection does depend on the player's status to a huge extent.

Nobody offered any protection to poor Mohammad Sami
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information