• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like/Dislike post feature

James

Cricket Web Owner
Really? How would a system like on this forum cause more work for the moderators and yourself?
Thank you for the response. If that is a concern, could you just have the 'like' feature?
I could see it being used to target certain members with dislike being attached to their posts to try and annoy them. It also isn't an out of the box future of vbulletin and with us now running an old version of vbulletin, the more mods applied, the harder any upgrade becomes in the future.

Tbf, James is already snowed under trying to get the CW load times under 4 hours. Doing a great job too it must be said...
From the tone of your post, I imagine you're just stirring, but if there is some sort of problem you're having, feel free to email me.

You can also check Cricket Web Dedicated Server - About - Load Averages for the latest performance stats (refreshes every minute).

On the subject of the CW Server, we will be moving servers and data centres later in the month. More information on this will come in the next week or so.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I could see it being used to target certain members with dislike being attached to their posts to try and annoy them. It also isn't an out of the box future of vbulletin and with us now running an old version of vbulletin, the more mods applied, the harder any upgrade becomes in the future.
As Nnanden said, just have the "agree" or "like" mod then. Did you look at the forum I linked to?

The thing for me is that the "agree" or "like" button is a hell of a lot better than posters pointlessly racking up their post tallies with inane posts like "this" and "+1". Nothing more tedious than seeing a new post in a thread and opening the thread only to discover one of those bandwidth-stealing efforts.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
As Nnanden said, just have the "agree" or "like" mod then. Did you look at the forum I linked to?

The thing for me is that the "agree" or "like" button is a hell of a lot better than posters pointlessly racking up their post tallies with inane posts like "this" and "+1". Nothing more tedious than seeing a new post in a thread and opening the thread only to discover one of those bandwidth-stealing efforts.
Yes I did have a look, and I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you as I feel the same way with posts like that.

I think before we can even consider modifications like this, we need to be on vbulletin 4+ which is a while away at this point in time.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
+1

Nah, understandable - looking forward to an upgrade then in the next five years... :ph34r:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Nah, understandable - looking forward to an upgrade then in the next five years... :ph34r:
The problem we have currently is the server is running an older version of PHP and for us to run the latest php software such as vbulletin we need to be on php 5+.

For us to do this, it involves full testing of all our products including Fantasy Cricket, Cricket Mail, CMS, Poll, Downloads, etc.

Rich T and I are working on this however behind the scenes.

Himannv

International Coach
All honesty, I wish this doesn't get implemented, even if its only just the "like" button and not the "dislike" one.

I hate how cliche and Facebook-esque (new word) it is. Its like the latest little fad in forums these days. Just because every other forum has added this feature and brought the quality of posting down a notch doesn't mean we should as well.

I mean if you like what someone said just quote the damn post and say it, or better yet add something to it for goodness sake. Have we lost the ability to type or something that we have to invent a button to automate our every response? The smiles are detracting enough to the quality of posting, but at least they are expressive.

Have seen plenty of pretty good forums go down to the dogs because of this feature. You end up with a little clique in the forum who are the begin all and end all of what kind of posts should be on a forum and I find it slightly childish, narrow minded and patronizing. You also end up with another group of posters clamouring for the like button on each and everyone of their posts, much like those half-wits on youtube. Ridiculous.

In my opinion, this feature is eqivalent to a rotting pile of garbage.

-1, if there really is a count.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All honesty, I wish this doesn't get implemented, even if its only just the "like" button and not the "dislike" one.

I hate how cliche and Facebook-esque (new word) it is. Its like the latest little fad in forums these days. Just because every other forum has added this feature and brought the quality of posting down a notch doesn't mean we should as well.

I mean if you like what someone said just quote the damn post and say it, or better yet add something to it for goodness sake. Have we lost the ability to type or something that we have to invent a button to automate our every response? The smiles are detracting enough to the quality of posting, but at least they are expressive.

Have seen plenty of pretty good forums go down to the dogs because of this feature. You end up with a little clique in the forum who are the begin all and end all of what kind of posts should be on a forum and I find it slightly childish, narrow minded and patronizing. You also end up with another group of posters clamouring for the like button on each and everyone of their posts, much like those half-wits on youtube. Ridiculous.

:laugh:

:ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thank you for the response. If that is a concern, could you just have the 'like' feature?
Instead of a dislike feature, there should be a thumbs down emoticon, if there isn't already.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yes, exactly. Forums turn into a giant cluster**** of approval seeking posting instead of commenting on a thread where you might have an opinion on something. Not saying there isn't already an element of this on any forum but this would amplify it hundreds of times over.

biased indian

International Coach
one of the site's i visit have this option..there is only one option though Thank's its way of thanking the poster for the post and below the post you can view the people who thanked him..as well as there will be count of toal thanks's he received..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH I'd rather like it if my posts had a dislike option, it would save Bun and honestbharani a lot of trouble