• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Sub-forum

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The last 2 IPL threads had less than 4,000 posts each. In the grand scheme of things that's not that many really (4 of the 5 Ashes Tests alone had that many or more posts)
For comparison, India in South Africa over Christmas and New Year had more than 10,000 posts, and the Ashes sub-forum contains 20,000+.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Look, you raise good points but those arguments are simply promoting those tours to be sub-forums, rather than the IPL not be a sub-forum.

Additionally, the Ashes got a separate forum, not a 'sub-forum'. I'm fine with the IPL being within Cricket Chat as GIMH suggested.

Also, the 2007 Rugby World Cup had 2838 posts, and got a separate forum.

And I rest my case, once again, on the cricket web forumer world cup.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Out of interest, what's the difference between something getting a forum and a subforum, apart from it having a link on the "cricketweb.net/forum" page?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, but as a percentage of our regular posters, what was that four years ago?

There's a much stronger argument for these major tours to have their own devoted area, forum or subforum - I couldn't care less about the difference between forums and subforums, as all I ever do is click "New Posts" - than the IPL (which has the same posting volume as the Aussie Domestic Thread).

The question, I think, is where do we draw the line? At the moment it seems to be 15k+.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still failing to see why every event should get a separate sub-forum for a small volume of threads. It's just as easy to find said new threads on the 'New Posts' function as it would be to trawl through sub-fora to find some specific event. People going sub-forum crazy, methinks.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
What's anyone's actual objection to sub-forums though? I mean if there are enough people wanting one, why not? I can think of plenty of reasons to have them for major events, but not really any against..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still failing to see why every event should get a separate sub-forum for a small volume of threads. It's just as easy to find said new threads on the 'New Posts' function as it would be to trawl through sub-fora to find some specific event. People going sub-forum crazy, methinks.
As someone who browses by New Posts a lot, yes, I agree.

However, let's say I follow IPL, and there's no subforum. I find the commentary crass, or I think the umpiring has been poor. I decide to make a thread about it. Chances are, the mods will merge my thread with the IPL thread. Not a dig on them, that's just how it works.

Same goes for the Eng V Ind series, and there have been heaps of great Ashes threads in the last three series that wouldn't have likely ever been created without the subforum.

I agree with PhoenixFire tbh

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I have to honestly say that I've never noticed this.
If someone made a post about the excessive advertising, or perhaps the umpiring, with regards to last year's IPL it would have been merged into the official IPL thread. No doubt about it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jeez. Makes me wonder why certain people's posts aren't just automatically merged into a greater "Tendulkar" thread or why other people's posts aren't automatically merged into the rubbish bin.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jeez. Makes me wonder why certain people's posts aren't just automatically merged into a greater "Tendulkar" thread or why other people's posts aren't automatically merged into the rubbish bin.
the term "greater Tendulkar" juz made chuckle, tbh.. And it is midnight over here.. :)