• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Okay I've been posting here nearly five years and in that time there have been heaps of 'the forum is going downhill' type posts going on. So you know what, maybe I'm just being cliched, but lately, I just don't enjoy this place anywhere near as much as I used to. It's not because I spend too much time on here, because I've been on less of late.

The quality of discussion in CC of late has hit an all-time low. There was a thread that you will all remember which was designed to improve the standard of discussion and atmosphere within Cricket Chat, our flagship forum. There were lots of great suggestions made, although the thread did inevitably descend into international squabbling. The things that came from this seemed to be the appointment of GingerFurball (more on that later) and 'stricter' moderation.

The stricter moderation has turned into a bit of a farce though. We often hear about the importance of consistency in spite of the fact that no such thing is atcually applied. Plenty of people felt my recent ban was deserved and plenty didn't, meh, I broke the rules but after having received no real warnings like, ever, it was quite laughable that I was banned for about five or six aggressive posts when it took 9 months for Sir Alex to be banned for constantly bringing the forum down.

The fact that he hasn't been perma'd yet is one of the worst things about this forum at the minute, in particular in CC. Last year there was a bit of a stir when sledger got handed a perma for duplicate accounts, even though they were , in fact, not him. Sir Alex is a multi. We can talk about evidence til the cows come home, every man and his dog knows he is Precambrian, this alone should see him shelved for good. But even if, for whatever reason, he doesn't get banned (and if he's not being banned for that then let's bring back Cricket_Fanatic and Spanish_Vicente who were entertaining multis) for that, his consistent trolling should see him shelved. He's no better than a sideshowtim or wdfu_ben91 who have both been binned. You get rid of him, CW improves, a bit.

Then it comes to the quality of discussion, obviously we've seen a lot of multis trying to face the same issue lately, but there does seem to be less good cricket discussion going on. Outside of the tour threads I only check the rest through morbid curiosity as people continue to push the same tired agendas. There are some absolute gold posters in CC, but I believe a few of them talk a lot of their cricket elsewhere these days. It is our responsibility as posters to kepe the quality of discussion high, but it does seem pointless when you have that feeling that any thread you start will wind up with some ugly discussion going on. And hey, people often blame Richard when CC is all flamed up but he's hardly been here in months now. Not saying that he does or doesn't contribute to the negativity within there, but he certainly can't be the sole cause.

And then we come to the moderation in general. The World Cup was the all-time nadir of moderation in this forum for me, some of you will probably hark to the autumn of 06 well I guess it was similar. Only one of the mods seemed to actually understand how important the tournament was to some of us English posters, unfortunately he seemed to revel in baiting the English posters. The moderation showed a complete lack of proactivity, posts were labelled as 'pathetic' by people who obviously don't actually have a clue. Too often we hide behind rules and use them as excuses. Surely mods should be capable of showing empathy rather than applying rules rigidly. There was no attempt to stop Sir Alex and Pratters' dross after the Germany trouncing, and as sledger said, it would appear that calling a spade a spade is an offence round here. Forget about who technically broke the rules, if the mods had been proactive then they would have stepped in long before any of that mess occurred. I made this point a couple of weeks ago and it was ignored so I'll make it again. four years ago James stepped in when he knew it was about to go off, put a massive warning up to the whole forum and everyone backed off. I posted a link to it in a discussion with SS the night before the Germany game and hey, I'm not one to tell the mods what to do but with a bit of foresight they might have acted similarly. But no, let's shut the door after the horse has bolted. I don't wanna whinge about my ban, it was three days ,I lived hey, but it was one of the most pointless things ever.

It wasn't just that night, throughout the WC we had to put up with nonsense posting that mods had no idea how to deal with. Every third post was someone popping up to say 'blablabla football is **** I'm not trolling though honest' and this was just allowed to go on, when someone finally lost it with this their post was deleted (because if you can't see it then obviously it didn't happen). You know what, I know some posters got upset about European snobbery throughout the tournament, and fair enough too in some cases. There are some awesome footy posters from outside of Europe, alas it appears none of our active moderation team actually understand the culture of football and this showed with the moderation. I'd love to see what happened if someone posts in the next Cricket World Cup in the way Sir Alex, pratters, GingerFurball, hell even the likes of SS, did should India go out. Let me tell you there will be threads locked and blanket permas.

So as for GingerFurball, well he's a good poster on the most part, especially in Cricket Chat, and I quite liked the guy a few months ago, but my word he's the worst mod we've ever had. He baits posters, he is happy to label people 'thick', even though we have all been told in the past that abusing banned members is still not allowed. How many threads have we seen closed by him only for them to be quietly reopened a few hours later?

And of course, he did label me a 'sack of ****' a day before I was banned for pretty much saying that sort of thing a few times. He promptly edited it, but he still said it and should have been sacked there and then. And when i quoted it in my sig, lo and behold, I was asked to remove it, under the guise of the fact that it included his surname.

Yes, a lot of my frustrations do stem through the way I've seen things with my own eyes lately. Yes, I felt my ban was inconsistent, and yes I might not have felt the WC modding was so bad if I wasn't English, but hey, that's kinda my point on that one. Everyone would agree with me on CC lately surely.

And no, this isn't a reaction from sledger's ham thread being removed, even though I don't see why it couldn't have just been moved to the TF or something.

Sorry for the long and boring rant, just had to get this **** off my chest because I'm kinda fed up here at the minute, I'm doing absolutely nothing today because I want to chill, days like this in the past I've sat off having a laugh on CW, but there isn't much of a laugh to be had round here right now.

Please don't lock or delete this. :)

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah, he is right. Not involved in any of this **** but can see where he is coming from after seeing what has happened especially wrt Alex and GIMH's bannings. Not consistent imho.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It wasn't just that night, throughout the WC we had to put up with nonsense posting that mods had no idea how to deal with. Every third post was someone popping up to say 'blablabla football is **** I'm not trolling though honest' and this was just allowed to go on, when someone finally lost it with this their post was deleted (because if you can't see it then obviously it didn't happen). You know what, I know some posters got upset about European snobbery throughout the tournament, and fair enough too in some cases. There are some awesome footy posters from outside of Europe, alas it appears none of our active moderation team actually understand the culture of football and this showed with the moderation.
I'll answer this point seeing as I was responsible for deleting grecian's post (assuming that's the one you're referring to.)

I saw that rant and didn't see a lot wrong with it, I thought it was funny and worthy of inclusion in the Burgey's finest rants thread on OT. At the same time as I posted saying I found it funny, the rant was reported. By an English poster. The same poster then decided to attack me in the thread for finding grecian's rant funny, because apparently moderators aren't supposed to have a sense of humour. Meanwhile, social responded to grecian's rant with abuse, and got into a slanging match with sledger. Thread quickly goes downhill, Manan and I were on the thread at the time, Manan posts asking everyone to cut it out and I set about deleting all the off topic rubbish. IMO, the action taken by myself and Manan stopped a thread that was rapidly de-railing from becoming an absolute ****-storm. You might not agree with the course of action we took, but I don't know how else we could have dealt with it. Grecian was VM'd the next day explaining why I deleted the post - as I've said, I thought it was an absolutely brilliant rant, but given how badly the thread had deteriorated, sadly it had to go.

So as for GingerFurball, well he's a good poster on the most part, especially in Cricket Chat, and I quite liked the guy a few months ago, but my word he's the worst mod we've ever had. He baits posters, he is happy to label people 'thick', even though we have all been told in the past that abusing banned members is still not allowed. How many threads have we seen closed by him only for them to be quietly reopened a few hours later?
Most of the threads I close or delete have been rubbish in cricket chat, or pointless threads in SD. I don't know the exact number, but I would hazard a guess at "not many."

As for baiting, I've asked for evidence of this before. Calling the England football team crap or over-rated simply isn't baiting. It's a valid opinion to hold. Most of you seemed to take massive exception to the fact that it was a Scot pointing this out to you - Uppercut's said pretty similar things to me, and he hasn't received any of the ****e I've had to put up with. I've put up with far worse based on my nationality than anything I've supposedly dished out.

And of course, he did label me a 'sack of ****' a day before I was banned for pretty much saying that sort of thing a few times. He promptly edited it, but he still said it and should have been sacked there and then. And when i quoted it in my sig, lo and behold, I was asked to remove it, under the guise of the fact that it included his surname.
I'm not going to defend what I posted, regardless of the fact that I was tired, cranky and pissed off. I shouldn't have done it, and the post was edited the instant it was made. If you check the post, there's not any edit stamp which would allow anyone to see the original post, that's how quickly it was edited. It wasn't done that quickly to hide it, it was edited instantly because I instantly regretted hitting the "submit reply" button.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the grecian post was a different one but I might be getting mixed up. You trolled subtly with the anti-England stuff and it's lolworthy that you continue to take the innocent stance on this one. Many of us English posters called England **** as well so if you think that's the issue then try again, I shouldn't have to spell it out to you. Oh and saying Uppercut posted the same stuff (even though he didn't...) is somewhat irrelevant given that he isn't telling posters off for similar offences in other threads!

The sack of **** thing is just one example of you posting in a hypocritical manner for a moderator. What about you calling a banned member thick? I see **** in your posts all the time.

It's not a personal vendetta against you, I'm all for Anglo-Scottish banter as well, you don't seem to get that you did cross the line for what's acceptable and that as a mod you have to post differently to how you did before. I've enjoyed your posts in the past but it stinks when a mod is posting as aggressively as you often do, and then that same person can post on nonsense bans for the likes of myself and Matteh.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A good moderator will moderate when they HAVE to. A bad moderator thinks they HAVE to be moderating. That's what makes VIc and SS good moderators and Furball a bad one.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't want to flog an expired equine mammal excessively, but absolutely agree with GIMH on Sir Alex. The reticence to call a spade a Precam does CW no credit, IMHO.

Yes, he's (apparently) hid his ISP number and denies it, but come on. We're not a court of law and the balance of probability is stronlgy tipped in favour of the positive for my money.

Flem274*

123/5
Agree completely on Sir Alex. It appears over my time here traditionally some trolls like wtf ben and MendisNuffSaid take ages to get the chuck where a more respected posters get small bans out of nowhere.

Now I think it's good to judge the action, not the member, so long term members don't get away with ****, but consistency is the issue.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are quite a few seperate issues here obviously.

First being cricket chat which has been pretty poor for a while but that does not really bother me personally. The tour threads are on the whole still pretty good and soon as the ashes starts up then the whole thing will get a lot better.

Nothing more needs to be said on Sir Alex so I will not bother comenting.

Finally agree with Corrin that some of the moderating has been needlessly harsh esepcially in regards to closing of certain thread. Some of the threads in site discussion may be 'pointless' but are they offensive or harmfull in anyway? No. See no reason why they should be closed let alone deleted.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Finally agree with Corrin that some of the moderating has been needlessly harsh esepcially in regards to closing of certain thread. Some of the threads in site discussion may be 'pointless' but are they offensive or harmfull in anyway? No. See no reason why they should be closed let alone deleted.
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-web-forum-announcements/6154-cricket-web-forum-rules.html

No spamming - Spamming is characterized by the initiation of threads or posts that contribute nothing to a forum, be it off topic or on topic. Examples include: empty bodies, bodies with few words that have no relation to the current thread or discussion and those posts that state they are spam, either to annoy or increase a member's post count. This determination is made by the forum Moderator or Administrator and is not up for discussion.
It's not just me who's going around closing/deleting threads. There's 12 on the front page of SD alone, only 2 of which were closed by me.

Sir Alex

Banned
It is yet another anti me post by GIMH. I have no clue why he has so much hatred for me, so does a few other of the same contingent who are all venting their ire with them. The usual suspects are all there, the accusation of me being Precam, the trolling, the blah blah etc.

Shall I request you to provide instances where, post my ban, I have continued to "bait" or "antagonise" English posters as you seem to suggest? No, I insist, considering the charges laid against me.

Also disagreeing with you doesn't amount to trolling.

Almost everyone get banned at some point or the other in forums. Take it easy. Get over it mate. Best wishes.

God Bless and Good night. Hopefully my last post on the issue. Of course you MAY continue to bait/abuse me till moderators take sufficient action.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Corrin WAG, pretty much sums up my thoughts about the forum in one post.

@ GF..

Grecian's post contained some pretty disgusting rhetoric against SS and America that wouldn't have been tolerated had it been against some other country/poster. Contained a load of crap that I would have been offended by had I been American.

Anyway, much love for Corrin.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just to make it clear, my issues with you were raised directly, the rest was about the moderation in general.

And yes, we know what the forum rules say, but really, they weren't harmful were they? Move them to the Testing Forum or something, plenty of people were posting in that Ham thread, it was just a bit of a laugh.

Mods posting in closed threads is pretty annoying btw

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It is yet another anti me post by GIMH. I have no clue why he has so much hatred for me, so does a few other of the same contingent who are all venting their ire with them. The usual suspects are all there, the accusation of me being Precam, the trolling, the blah blah etc.

Shall I request you to provide instances where, post my ban, I have continued to "bait" or "antagonise" English posters as you seem to suggest? No, I insist, considering the charges laid against me.

Also disagreeing with you doesn't amount to trolling.

Almost everyone get banned at some point or the other in forums. Take it easy. Get over it mate. Best wishes.

God Bless and Good night. Hopefully my last post on the issue. Of course you MAY continue to bait/abuse me till moderators take sufficient action.
I didn't say you had trolled since your ban but that your actions long before then should have seen you perma'd, even ignoring the blatant fact that you are Precam. Seriously, it's annoying when everyone chimes up 'Precam' at a noob but it's so obvious that you are Precam it isn't funny.

And if the mods take action for me over this then it will be proof that this place has lost the plot :)

Sir Alex

Banned
A good moderator will moderate when they HAVE to. A bad moderator thinks they HAVE to be moderating. That's what makes VIc and SS good moderators and Furball a bad one.
Sorry for backtracking on my promise so quickly. But if anything moderators are doing a good job in my opinion. Cal himself took pains to explain why some of my posting were not acceptable, and so did AndyC and Prince EWS. Of course I still am not convinced about my banning but the honesty behind their intentions and actions are applaudable. Gingerfurball is a terrific moderator in my opinion. Just because he disagreed with a bunch of posts regardless of their seniority he doesn't become a bad one.

Edit : Add Clapo to that list too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.