• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently a bunch of people having the same opinion is a gang mentality. LOL
I said a kind of Gang Mentality ,by which i implied something like a gang mentality.

And a selection of posters wanting one standard to be applied to other posters and one to themselves is exactly that.

Bit Rich coming from someone who started this thread:laugh: and feels baited by other members and that after continuosly bashing one member publicly.

Hb was accused of having victim mentality because of starting the venting thread and you found it funny,how about apply the same standards to yourself though.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cup in the way Sir Alex, pratters, GingerFurball, hell even the likes of SS, did should India go out. Let me tell you there will be threads locked and blanket permas.

I didn't say he trolled I don't think but that some of his posts were amongst the more provocative ones. However, in the interest of fairness, there are a couple of examples I can think. Firstly, his posting when Australia got trounced by Germany. I did a fair bit of bigging Germany up before the game, but my rule these days (and this is not to say i've never breached this in my early days on the forum) is that you hype up the opposition before the game, but you only stick the knife in afterwards if they were playing your team. By stick the knife in that's not to say you can't comment on the game, but I'm not gonna go in there going, "HAHA Australia suck I told you the Krauts would prevail woohoooo!!! :D" From what I remember SS pretty much did sit there chuckling away. I dare say if Smitteh had been more of an active poster we might have seen some angry words fly about. Anyway, I mainly noticed this because another poster mentioned it to me.

The other thing is that he was pretty much the main culprit in the anti-football camp throughout the tournament. It's a shame because he made a lot of interesting, if flawed, suggestions and these were decent and brought up good discussion. So why he felt the need to temper this with 'how is this the most popular sport in the world' type posts every fourth post is beyond me. He wasn't the only one but he was definitely the worst, and it got tiresome, and as I understand it was the main cause of the Final thread being such a trainwreck.

I wouldn't say he trolled, some of his posts throughout were really interesting, but he posted naively and insensitively.
I fully expected and received a lot of banter against the US. I don't see the issue, I have never said that what someone said against the US was out of line. If you don't want banter, don't open the forum. If people are so insecure that they can't take someone rejoicing in another team's win, then they probably shouldn't be on the internet. Obviously there are more English and Australian posters here than German or Brazilian so they would be the ideal people to start banter against. I have never said anything that has not been good natured, and people (and myself) poke fun at my expense all the time. I am not sure I see the hypocrisy in anything I've said. If you could point out the instance where I've taken that type of thing personally, it'd be much appreciated. Supporting another team is not a crime - or it ought not to be. Neither should calling out a game that all the 'experts' thought was crap and calling into question its entertainment value. A team doesn't represent a person, badmouthing a team that one supports is not badmouthing that person. I've never insulted someone that was not in good humor, and I've never been offended against an insult against me or a team I support - and many times it wasn't in good humor.

As for my suggestions - I would defend myself but if this is the perception than there was certainly a massive failure on my part to communicate my intentions properly. I admitted I knew nothing about the sport, so obviously my suggestions may not make sense to the committed football fans. Frankly, the response from some quarters was dire in so many ways - dismissal is one thing but the type of cliquish attacks against someone new is absolutely horrible here sometimes. I can completely see why so many people complain about it to me sometimes - people get shouted down and ridiculed just because they don't happen to have knowledge or experience with the game or with posting, and it's absolutely shocking.

However, you are an excellent poster, and if you feel that my posts were out of line, I will take it at face value and I personally apologize to you and anyone else that may have been offended. I will also refrain from posting in any more football threads. I hope people believe that my posts meant as banter and good nature ribbing rather than actual attacks on a sport, a team, or an individual poster.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I fully expected and received a lot of banter against the US. I don't see the issue, I have never said that what someone said against the US was out of line. If you don't want banter, don't open the forum. If people are so insecure that they can't take someone rejoicing in another team's win, then they probably shouldn't be on the internet. Obviously there are more English and Australian posters here than German or Brazilian so they would be the ideal people to start banter against. I have never said anything that has not been good natured, and people (and myself) poke fun at my expense all the time. I am not sure I see the hypocrisy in anything I've said. If you could point out the instance where I've taken that type of thing personally, it'd be much appreciated. Supporting another team is not a crime - or it ought not to be. Neither should calling out a game that all the 'experts' thought was crap and calling into question its entertainment value. A team doesn't represent a person, badmouthing a team that one supports is not badmouthing that person. I've never insulted someone that was not in good humor, and I've never been offended against an insult against me or a team I support - and many times it wasn't in good humor.

As for my suggestions - I would defend myself but if this is the perception than there was certainly a massive failure on my part to communicate my intentions properly. I admitted I knew nothing about the sport, so obviously my suggestions may not make sense to the committed football fans. Frankly, the response from some quarters was dire in so many ways - dismissal is one thing but the type of cliquish attacks against someone new is absolutely horrible here sometimes. I can completely see why so many people complain about it to me sometimes - people get shouted down and ridiculed just because they don't happen to have knowledge or experience with the game or with posting, and it's absolutely shocking.

However, you are an excellent poster, and if you feel that my posts were out of line, I will take it at face value and I personally apologize to you and anyone else that may have been offended. I will also refrain from posting in any more football threads. I hope people believe that my posts meant as banter and good nature ribbing rather than actual attacks on a sport, a team, or an individual poster.
Ban-worthy.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think this whole Controversy came from people taking football related banter too seriously.

More than cricket football has always been about banter and criticism ,in terms of discussion. I post on 3 football forums and was a yearly moderator on one of them and what started off this controversy is par for the course except the personal abuse and being dismissive of somebodies opinion .

As for the criticism of the world cup,even many ardent football fans engaged in it ,so i do not know how in a primarily cricket forum calling football crap is a isssue. Have you ever visited a cricket thread on a football forum,you will hear a lot more the other way round than was the issue.
Besides even in this forum the IPL and even the t20 forums to a extent had many posts calling it crap and even "not sport" or "not cricket" .It's all opinion and football's popularity worldwide does not really matter in this regard ,specially on a cricket forum.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, really childish ****, doing nothing bar looking like sad little children.... Even more of a shame its 3 who I really get on with

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nah, normally like your work, but the ability to rhyme "site" with different words and being snide at SS just isn't really funny. And i like CW more when you're not banned.

Go take a walk imho.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think anyone can really disagree.

Although millstones was funny, nothing wrong with ham either.

Matteh

CW is clearly a playground, only someone's taken away the swings, roundabout and the slide.

Some people genuinely need to be taking this place far less seriously than they are.

Pothas

Yeah thought it was genuinely funny and needleslly locked, basically this is all Burgeys fault.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, normally like your work, but the ability to rhyme "site" with different words and being snide at SS just isn't really funny. And i like CW more when you're not banned.

Go take a walk imho.
Haha, a few shots of vodka and even I look good apparently, so it's all good. :[

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Go take a walk imho.
The SS threads were not intended to be snide, you can ask him yourself, I was speaking to him on messenger at the time I made them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well not all of us can look like Sledger or Nath tbh. We have to make do with what we have. I hate him cause he's beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.