• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
You know, it's possible for Corrin to agree with GF on one issue and disagree with him on others without being biased. In fact, that's actually a good example of a lack of bias. He's expressing his opinion on different issues irrespective of whether he likes the moderator in question.
Where did i say it was not possible for him to agree on one issue and disagree on another.

But then in that thread he is advocating to HB that he should have cut out his comments about moderation after receiving a warning and that he should have learned that repeating the same thing 7/8 times gets tedious.
And now he is doing the same.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/site-discussion/43571-ban-announcements-18.html

Just look at this thread above. Even after warning from two moderators including Andyc he continued to attack Sir Alex FROM ALL angles. Just because he was not banned indefinetely .That is Hypocrisy at it's best.

Just to quote his posts in the venting thread-

hb, the very problem is the fact that you reply to stuff straight away rather than seeing how the thread has progressed. You say you don't have much time, but the thing is, if you'd read on, you'd have seen a mod ask for the line of discussion to get back on topic...instead you did derail the thread. I know you didn't mean to but that's what happened.

It is also quite grating for a lot of posters to see like seven or eight replies in a row on stuff that's been and gone in the thread. Again, not an attack on you personally as you aren't the only one, but it is counter-productive, IMO.

The fact is a mod had asked for the thread to go back on topic...once they say that and you ignore it, closedville is the only route it's gonna take
Then they are despite time and again being warned accusing Sir Alex of being Precambrian or something without any proof.

Then there is the case for starting silly threads continuosly .Don't think a newer member would be spared that.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting.

I definitely think he was consistent in everything he did. The problem people had was that he wasn't always consistent with the other moderators (early on at least - I think it was a stigma that he kept despite changing the way he did things later on). Whether you agree with the way he handled things or not, I definitely don't think it's fair to say he wasn't consistent.
The reason the venting thread was started was inconsistency by GF if you see.

Then he also let Burgey away for personal abuse directed at me and another poster and closed the thread blaming it on Honestbharani despite him being accused of having victim mentality.
Not only that in the Venting thread he also claimed there was no personal abuse int his post-

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2193128-post21.html

Which i disapproved here with the said post and giving proof-

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2193215-post30.html

I have noticed other instances too ,though i will not go into the details of it ,giving names as it will cause only further commotion.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I know this is going to be an unpopular sentiment, but I actually believe that Sir Alex does contribute quite a bit of positive stuff to the forum and should be allowed to stay.

He is obviously very passionate about cricket and does make quite a few interesting observations

Furthermore, if it wasnt for regular posters like him, there'd have been any number of times when you could've shot a gun around the place and not been in any danger of hitting anyone

Now I know that he does enjoy the wind up and that can result in a thread going quickly to the dogs but surely that is as much the fault of people like me who are only too happy to indulge him from time to time

From a personal perspective, I think that posters who take any criticism of their favourite player/team/country/sport etc personally are far more annoying and a much greater blight on the forum.

Basically, if you not interested in debate then join LemmingsRus and talk to yourself

And I also find it interesting that there are a some people speaking out here whose only "positive" contribution many threads is the odd one-liner designed to annoy/humiliate somebody

Guys, it was mildly funny the first time but after 5683 times it's just old

Anyway, dont have any probs with the mods - thankless and underpaid job that I wouldnt do for quids
Agree with Social on here.:-O

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know this is going to be an unpopular sentiment, but I actually believe that Sir Alex does contribute quite a bit of positive stuff to the forum and should be allowed to stay.

He is obviously very passionate about cricket and does make quite a few interesting observations

Furthermore, if it wasnt for regular posters like him, there'd have been any number of times when you could've shot a gun around the place and not been in any danger of hitting anyone

Now I know that he does enjoy the wind up and that can result in a thread going quickly to the dogs but surely that is as much the fault of people like me who are only too happy to indulge him from time to time

From a personal perspective, I think that posters who take any criticism of their favourite player/team/country/sport etc personally are far more annoying and a much greater blight on the forum.

Basically, if you not interested in debate then join LemmingsRus and talk to yourself

And I also find it interesting that there are a some people speaking out here whose only "positive" contribution many threads is the odd one-liner designed to annoy/humiliate somebody

Guys, it was mildly funny the first time but after 5683 times it's just old

Anyway, dont have any probs with the mods - thankless and underpaid job that I wouldnt do for quids
All very well and good Social, but didn't you then get upset at my post slagging off your country/sports?

social

All very well and good Social, but didn't you then get upset at my post slagging off your country/sports?

Nope

No point in getting annoyed at accusations of either genocide (especially as it was carried out by the Poms anyway) or my love of AFL (I come from a thugby state)

Simply pissed off with the condescending attitude towards posters from non-traditional footballing countries (plus 38 beers and scotches didnt help :)) and you happened to be in the firing line at the time

grecian

Nope

No point in getting annoyed at accusations of either genocide (especially as it was carried out by the Poms anyway) or my love of AFL (I come from a thugby state)

Simply pissed off with the condescending attitude towards posters from non-traditional footballing countries (plus 38 beers and scotched didnt help :)) and you happened to be in the firing line at the time
Well. Your posts looked like you were upset about it, apparently. TBH, I pretty much said we should keep to our own sports. Alright to get pissed off over some things though, like perceived condescension, but not about other things? You should use my sig Social:)

Anyway, I'm actually willing to let bygones be bygones as CPR suggested, the World Cup won't be for another four years so it seems silly to let this blight the forum any longer. Can't complain at peoples drunken rants really as I've had a few (oddly the much disputed one was stone-cold sober, perhaps I should drink more and stay out of trouble) this World Cup. Football banter can be fairly caustic, and I think some people don't quite get the humour.

Group-hug?

Jarquis

At first I thought social's post was a dig at me :p My post count is 12 short of his figure though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But I'm sorry here, the 'the moderators shouldn't do this and that'. Maybe they shouldn't, but they are human, and they are still normal members here to discuss, debate etc. OK accuse them of double standards for doing what they are punishing, but point it out to another mod and let them decide... They cannot be expected to constantly have a mod head on, they will post what they think just as others do from time to time.

What saddens me is I hold the CW staff members in equal, possibly higher, regard. As such I'd expect even higher standards at times. If the mods are expected to show high judgement in their posting, i'd expect even higher from Staff Members, as they are representing website, there postings tell a story of who's behind the front page articles. If I was new to CW and the forums, i'd be judging the site on what the Staff Members are posting first, and if thats mud slinging matches I'd not have a high opinion of this place.... Hell that WC sub forum was bad enough to make any newbie consider planetcricket instead :ph34r:
See I agree on the most part. The fact that I'm on the staff is the reason I never blew up at aussie, and the reason why it took me being sloshed and in a filthy mood to actually react in a big way to Alex & Pratters...but the thing is, it's lazy to say that they can't always have their mod heads on. Of course they can post normally, orthdox is probably the best cricket poster we have and SS manages to get into heated debates in OT without much trouble. The difference is when they are making offensive posts one minute and then saying "Stop it, dire posting from you these past few days" with their next. As a Staff Member we don't have the remit to control these situations and that is where I feel the comparison falls down a little, although your point on perception is spot on.

cpr said:
In regards to Sir Alex. Feel he's a precam multi? Whack him on ignore and be done. I think I did that at first purely because of the allegations (I felt they were true). He's not on ignore any more, not sure when he came off, either way he's done nothing to make me want to put him back on ignore.
Hate this attitude, why should half the forum have to put someone on ignore?

andyc

Am going to chip in my two cents here, though I should point out that I've been away from CW for much of the past 3-4 weeks and so I've missed a lot of the bannings etc that occurred, and I've looked over some of it but there is plenty I haven't yet seen.

Firstly, in terms of people criticising GF for his modding; yes, I can see why people might feel this way. However, like PEWS said, the basic modding decisions are normally done as the individual mod sees fit and without consultation. Any other bigger issues are discussed in the mod forum (incidentally this also happens to a number of reported posts; reporting a post actually creates a new thread in the mod forum where it can be discussed). So while there might only be 3 or 4 mods who are generally visible in doing stuff, the others are normally involved in some other way. But I think this has a lot to do with why GF has come off looking a bit bad to some; more often than not he was the first to see an offending post and was forced to act quickly, which can lead to oversights. FWIW, given that GF was asked to be a mod after the CC suggestions thread, rather than him volunteering, I think he does deserve a bit more credit than he's received here for all the work that he did.

Moving on, I echo what cpr said earlier about Staff Members, and just senior posters in general tbh. It's really disappointing to see a senior member abusing other posters or being sucked in so easily to a flame war in response to what they see as a troll. Yes, the trolling shouldn't be happening in the first place, but the definition of trolling is pretty subjective, and mods can't be everywhere all at once. We all do it every now and then, and even though it's a lot easier (and more fun) to get riled up and call someone a **** instead of reporting the post and walking away, if you've been here long enough, you probs should have a basic idea of what is and isn't appropriate.

Further, even if someone else has thrown the first insult, it doesn't mean it's a free for all. I was really annoyed reading the Ban Announcements thread in SD where a whole lot of posters were ganging up on Sir Alex. We obviously don't enjoy closing threads or warning senior posters, but sometimes there's not much choice. Carrying on from that, it does make it a lot harder when people blatantly question and ignore mods' decisions. We definitely don't always get it right and suggestions/complaints are welcome, but if there's something that you disagree with, it's a lot better if it's brought up offsite or via a reported post rather than out in the open, as it sets up a precedent for other posters and new members to do the same. Chances are most posters aren't going to be too happy if they've been warned, but it's just a bit frustrating when members constantly question the call rather than copping it on the chin and moving along.

Please bear in mind I'm not trying to make this a 'mods vs posters' kind of thing, but these are just some trends that I've noticed recently. There's no doubt that the mod team has played a significant role in CW's current state (which I really wouldn't say is all that bad), but pointing the finger solely at one group is a bit unfair IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Someone trolling of course does not make it a free for all, all I have said is that the mods should have stepped in and at least tried to display some empathy of the situation. There was zero attempt of this, and it's why I don't buy into Cribb's defence of it being a cricket forum. I find it quite lazy to just ban someone for breaking rules over what was about a two-hour period out of four and a half years, rather than looking at the context of the situation. That's obviously specific to my own situation, but the whole 'senior members should know better' approach is devoid of intelligence and empathy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Further, even if someone else has thrown the first insult, it doesn't mean it's a free for all. I was really annoyed reading the Ban Announcements thread in SD where a whole lot of posters were ganging up on Sir Alex. We obviously don't enjoy closing threads or warning senior posters, but sometimes there's not much choice. Carrying on from that, it does make it a lot harder when people blatantly question and ignore mods' decisions. We definitely don't always get it right and suggestions/complaints are welcome, but if there's something that you disagree with, it's a lot better if it's brought up offsite or via a reported post rather than out in the open, as it sets up a precedent for other posters and new members to do the same. Chances are most posters aren't going to be too happy if they've been warned, but it's just a bit frustrating when members constantly question the call rather than copping it on the chin and moving along.
Just on SA, I'll say I've never had a massive issue with him as I didn't with precam either, my bone of contention around the whole situation is that I strongly suspect the former of also being the latter (yes, no proof, etc, but the similarities in style seem rather too strong to be mere concidence to my way of thinking) and for a permanent ban to have any meaning it shouldn't be so easy to circumvent.

I'll cheerfully confess to being an IT cretin (take a perverse pride in it in fact), but as I understand it ISP numbers aren't that hard to hide through proxies? That being so it doesn't sit easily that someone who the mod team have seen fit to ban (more than once too) is now able to post with seeming impunity (the odd temp ban aside) just because he's sufficiently comp-savvy to do this.

Shri

Mr. Glass
GI Joe attempted to expose him a lot of times. As you can all see, he failed.(Or was ignored)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just on SA, I'll say I've never had a massive issue with him as I didn't with precam either, my bone of contention around the whole situation is that I strongly suspect the former of also being the latter (yes, no proof, etc, but the similarities in style seem rather too strong to be mere concidence to my way of thinking) and for a permanent ban to have any meaning it shouldn't be so easy to circumvent.

I'll cheerfully confess to being an IT cretin (take a perverse pride in it in fact), but as I understand it ISP numbers aren't that hard to hide through proxies? That being so it doesn't sit easily that someone who the mod team have seen fit to ban (more than once too) is now able to post with seeming impunity (the odd temp ban aside) just because he's sufficiently comp-savvy to do this.
I don't think it's anywhere near certain enough to ban him. We've banned Precam multis before without having hard evidence but without wanting to give away how we've caught him before, Precam always did some things to give himself away that Sir Alex has not. They are similar personalties but I wouldn't be at all comfortable banning him just because of that. We need more funny "coincidences" than what we have; it's not always just based on IP addresses.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anyway I think it's disappointing that we've resorted to talking about Sir Alex in yet another thread. He isn't even close to being the worst or most troublesome member of the forum and yet he constantly gets bullied and whinged about it because he's outnumbered in the way he "trolls" and because he's similar to another member we used to have.

GIMH raised some interesting points in the opening post of this thread and although I disagree with virtually everything he said, a lot of them do IMO deserve some proper discussion. The Sir Alex thing is not one of those points though.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
GI Joe attempted to expose him a lot of times. As you can all see, he failed.(Or was ignored)
Read this as "GI Joe attempted to expose himself a lot of times" First impulse was to try and recollect what exactly I'd posted when drunk in the past :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.