• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just to make it clear, my issues with you were raised directly, the rest was about the moderation in general.

And yes, we know what the forum rules say, but really, they weren't harmful were they? Move them to the Testing Forum or something, plenty of people were posting in that Ham thread, it was just a bit of a laugh.

Mods posting in closed threads is pretty annoying btw
It's a waste of time and bandwidth. Reading posts that are absolute rubbish is a pain in the arse.

Sir Alex

Banned
Gingerfurball doesn't deserve a trial by public. Let the site owner who appointed him decide. I strongly feel if any members have issues with him, they should directly mail the owner instead of debating it here. And seemingly he doesn't have.

GIMH your whining just gets pathetic to be very honest. Sorry to say this mate.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
God forbid that we discuss issues out in the open. Emailing the moderators is of course an available course of action but sometimes you need to know if the rest of the forum has the same opinions you do. This is a great forum but people like you are ruining it.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Corrin WAG, pretty much sums up my thoughts about the forum in one post.

@ GF..

Grecian's post contained some pretty disgusting rhetoric against SS and America that wouldn't have been tolerated had it been against some other country/poster. Contained a load of crap that I would have been offended by had I been American.

Anyway, much love for Corrin.
Bollox you reported it to get at GF, a spineless thing to do, IMHO. How was it disgusting rhetoric at SS, your talking crap. Did I insult him? My main stuff was about their sports, which seemed fair to me, considering he'd just insulted one of my fave sports. The indigenous races stuff was fairly mild to some stuff around here.

Wouldn't get involved here, but your making a light-hearted post look a lot worse then it was, for your own means, all in my opinion of course.

If you were really offended why didn't you just report it and report Furball, but you've spoiled for a fight with him for ages. You said you'd of been offended if you were American, are you then?, because you seem offended enough to report and argue.

Thank **** your not a mod anymore, so I can put you on ignore until you get over this snotty attitude.:)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FWIW my humble opinion, the general standard of moderating and the site management has not been great for a while. The decline has not started with GF but his individual moderating hasnt helped. I dont think he should be scapegoated even if he has played a role. Its none of my business so Im not criticising but it seems like people high up have made some bad decisions but more than that, they have been asleep at the wheel and let the site drift aimlessly.

I dont care about the site as much as I used to but I am on as much, if not more. Despite being on here pretty much all day every day, I dont post very often in CC as there isnt much of interest or repy worthy. I never thought Id say it, but OT is really why I visit now (and that is from someone who was a committed CC guy.)

I dont really dwell on multis or bans as, despite being on here a lot, I dont pay attention to that stuff. Saying that, Ive never been banned. If I ever get banned for something I dont like then I expect Id want to know why.

I do understand why multis, bans and moderating upsets people. Id also add to the list that a not insignificant number of regular members seem to Swann around threads like pirates trolling and baiting and not making the forum a nice place to be.

After all that, I go back to my main point. There are issues with with posters but there is the sneaking suspicion that for a while the management have taken their eyes off the ball.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just FTR, that wasn't even the grecian post I was talking about - there was another one I believe, on the night of the final. The one that PF is talking about came a few nights later. I think.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just FTR, that wasn't even the grecian post I was talking about - there was another one I believe, on the night of the final. The one that PF is talking about came a few nights later. I think.
The one on the night of the final is the one PF reported.

pasag

RTDAS
Perhaps someone could have started a "general criticisms of the World Cup" thread to keep things like that out of the match threads, but still allow people to vent their frustrations about the sport in some format. We did it when the IPL started and it worked out pretty well.

I think with regards to CC, the core group of us have discussed every theme to death, debated everything there is to debate. Had battles on virtually every cricketing combination. It's a cycle, new posters will come and then it'll all start again. It's not helping that there hasn't been much controversial cricketing news either to get massive threads going, but just wait till Australia tour India.

With regards to moderation, I have plenty of ideas, mostly born through my own stuff ups but I don't think there's any point airing them in public. If anyone cares they know where to find me. The whole system is pretty flawed, but whether there's a better one is up for debate. In the meantime, as long as you follow the "WWJD?" rule the moderating should be fine.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes that would have been helpful, rather than reading "how is this the most popular sport in the world" every third post. You hate footy or generally have not been a fan but didn't seem compelled to go on about it every three posts.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perhaps someone could have started a "general criticisms of the World Cup" thread to keep things like that out of the match threads, but still allow people to vent their frustrations about the sport in some format. We did it when the IPL started and it worked out pretty well.

I think with regards to CC, the core group of us have discussed every theme to death, debated everything there is to debate. Had battles on virtually every cricketing combination. It's a cycle, new posters will come and then it'll all start again. It's not helping that there hasn't been much controversial cricketing news either to get massive threads going, but just wait till Australia tour India.

With regards to moderation, I have plenty of ideas, mostly born through my own stuff ups but I don't think there's any point airing them in public. If anyone cares they know where to find me. The whole system is pretty flawed, but whether there's a better one is up for debate. In the meantime, as long as you follow the "WWJD?" rule the moderating should be fine.
Yes, very good point that, I think Langevelt has made it on a number of times. It's why it's quite important to give new members their head, even if it feels the discussions been done thousands of times, and not belittle them for it.

gimp said:
Yes that would have been helpful, rather than reading "how is this the most popular sport in the world" every third post. You hate footy or generally have not been a fan but didn't seem compelled to go on about it every three posts.
Indeed, could cause an intemperate post that type of thing:unsure:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Bollox you reported it to get at GF, a spineless thing to do, IMHO. How was it disgusting rhetoric at SS, your talking crap. Did I insult him? My main stuff was about their sports, which seemed fair to me, considering he'd just insulted one of my fave sports. The indigenous races stuff was fairly mild to some stuff around here.

Wouldn't get involved here, but your making a light-hearted post look a lot worse then it was, for your own means, all in my opinion of course.

If you were really offended why didn't you just report it and report Furball, but you've spoiled for a fight with him for ages. You said you'd of been offended if you were American, are you then?, because you seem offended enough to report and argue.

Thank **** your not a mod anymore, so I can put you on ignore until you get over this snotty attitude.:)
Woah where did that come from? Pretty sure I've never crossed you before about 2 weeks ago.

Nice to know you I guess..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Re: your big football rant:

And then we come to the moderation in general. The World Cup was the all-time nadir of moderation in this forum for me, some of you will probably hark to the autumn of 06 well I guess it was similar. Only one of the mods seemed to actually understand how important the tournament was to some of us English posters, unfortunately he seemed to revel in baiting the English posters. The moderation showed a complete lack of proactivity, posts were labelled as 'pathetic' by people who obviously don't actually have a clue. Too often we hide behind rules and use them as excuses. Surely mods should be capable of showing empathy rather than applying rules rigidly. There was no attempt to stop Sir Alex and Pratters' dross after the Germany trouncing, and as sledger said, it would appear that calling a spade a spade is an offence round here. Forget about who technically broke the rules, if the mods had been proactive then they would have stepped in long before any of that mess occurred. I made this point a couple of weeks ago and it was ignored so I'll make it again. four years ago James stepped in when he knew it was about to go off, put a massive warning up to the whole forum and everyone backed off. I posted a link to it in a discussion with SS the night before the Germany game and hey, I'm not one to tell the mods what to do but with a bit of foresight they might have acted similarly. But no, let's shut the door after the horse has bolted. I don't wanna whinge about my ban, it was three days ,I lived hey, but it was one of the most pointless things ever.

It wasn't just that night, throughout the WC we had to put up with nonsense posting that mods had no idea how to deal with. Every third post was someone popping up to say 'blablabla football is **** I'm not trolling though honest' and this was just allowed to go on, when someone finally lost it with this their post was deleted (because if you can't see it then obviously it didn't happen). You know what, I know some posters got upset about European snobbery throughout the tournament, and fair enough too in some cases. There are some awesome footy posters from outside of Europe, alas it appears none of our active moderation team actually understand the culture of football and this showed with the moderation. I'd love to see what happened if someone posts in the next Cricket World Cup in the way Sir Alex, pratters, GingerFurball, hell even the likes of SS, did should India go out. Let me tell you there will be threads locked and blanket permas.

So as for GingerFurball, well he's a good poster on the most part, especially in Cricket Chat, and I quite liked the guy a few months ago, but my word he's the worst mod we've ever had. He baits posters, he is happy to label people 'thick', even though we have all been told in the past that abusing banned members is still not allowed. How many threads have we seen closed by him only for them to be quietly reopened a few hours later?
I know you don't want to hear it, but this is a cricket forum. We do our best to cater to our members' interest in other sports, particularly big events, but the bottom line is the fact that it's a cricket forum. As such, comparing the moderation of the football World Cup forum to what would happen in a similar situation during a cricket World Cup simply isn't fair. As a cricket forum, we have a responsibility to deal with sensitive cricket issues for the overall cohesion of the forum - cricket stuff is just treated a lot more seriously. The moderating staff have been selected on their ability to control Cricket Chat and Off Topic - when something else pops up we do our best but to expect the same understanding of sensitive football issues etc is probably just a bit optimistic when you have a bunch of cricket fans running the show.

Take me for example - I had virtually no interest in the tournament at all. I like to take a "read the forum as you normally would and moderate if you see anything" approach to moderating rather than actually rummaging through threads looking for things to moderate (which I may say seems to be what some of the errr less popular moderators do..), so I didn't read any posts in that entire section other than the ones that were reported or linked in the mod forum. I do a lot of moderation in Cricket Chat, particularly with regards to trolling, so we were never going to get a consistent outcome once you removed me and I'm sure there were other moderators who read that forum a lot less than they do Cricket Chat and/or Off topic. The mod team simply wasn't equipped to deal with the football World Cup; I admit that but in the end it's not something you should always expect from a cricket forum and drawing comparisons makes about as much sense as asking why they don't play the Australian national anthem when England take on India.

Regarding Cricket Chat, I agree with Gelman. I don't think it's truly much better or worse than it has been at any other time - we all just eventually grow tired of the same debates that happen over and over again. I don't post a lot in the big long debate threads anymore because I've done it all before but that doesn't mean they're worse now than I was posting in them. I still read them, as I find the opinions of the new members interesting, but I don't contribute to them a lot anymore. I also think the tour threads are still great; I may seem a bit sad for saying this but I literally read every post of every tour thread if I'm following a series, and although there are bad patches I always enjoy doing that.

I actually deleted yer ham thread, but honestly, when you go into Site Discussion and see the following new threads:
Spam Announcements
Glam Announcements
Ham Announcements
Jam Announcements

.. then it's obviously getting a bit much. I speak to you a bit and I don't think you associate me with overzealous moderating so I think you need to perhaps re-think your stance on that, even though I agree you do often have good points about other moderation issues. Maybe they could've been moved to TF or OT.. but maybe they could've been posted there in the first place if the creators didn't want them deleted. Site Discussion isn't supposed to be a funny subforum; different standards apply to it. What did Sledger expect when he started it?

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This Sir Alex business has set an interesting precedent. Would love to see what could happen if I sign in tomorrow using a new account.

Got to say I agree with most of the issues raised here as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cribbage, you know I respect you as a nod, you're the best we have IMO. But its a cop out to say it's a cricket forum so we can't expect good modding in the WC. We had a subforum for it so its the mods responsibility to make sure no **** happens. If it was the footy thread you'd have a point but it was a subforum. No different to OT, therefore.

Status
Not open for further replies.