• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
But many people take cricket as seriously as GIMH takes his football. It happens after almost every Test match - not just Australia-India.
Yeah, it does. But "Haha, I knew this would happen all along" is different to something else. There's context, and there's context.
Look at that series in Australia where Akmal cemented his legacy and what people were doing there. Hell, even I was laughing my ass off. I certainly would rather not be going around warning posters for finding it amusing that India lost last ball, or Akmal had a Akmal moment and Pakistan lost an important Test match.
There's laughing, and there's making fun of someone.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I know you're not trying to be antagonistic - I do appreciate what you're trying to do here. And I certainly didn't say I don't think you should post in any footy threads - it wasn't my team that you 'trolled' remember. My only issue was the constant football sux posts which were tedious.

If India get obliterated by pakistan in the WC, I won't be heading over to the thread to antagonise the India supporters, and if I do I'll expect censure from the mods. It's not rocket science.
If you are aiming this at me, I didn't

A) Football sucks.
B) Kept trying to antagonize English members on purpose. The EPL-La Liga discussion was genuine and I even made a thread to understand why the EPL is the best league according to people here after the world cup because I was genuinely inquisitive and saw people's opinion on it largely differed from mine.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, it does. But "Haha, I knew this would happen all along" is different to something else. There's context, and there's context.
There's laughing, and there's making fun of.
The posters or the team? People make fun of Pakistan all the time. And frankly, they should.

If you're making fun of posters directly, that's a different issue and not one we're talking about.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Disclaimer: I haven't read most of the posts in this thread.

No, really. I'm not trying to be antagonistic - I am really trying to understand. If I was out of line, I totally accept it, but I'm just trying to understand why. I've already said I won't be posting in any World Cup, EPL, or any other football thread again, but the reasoning is not consistent with how we've always moderated Cricket Chat - and frankly how everyone acts in match threads there.
I ran a search for posts by you that contained the words "soccer" and "stupid" and got 83 results. Obviously I didn't look through all of them, but that's a sizeable number that would get someone banned if they did that in Cricket Chat.

Also, it's funny how it's becoming a discussion of the Pom baiting only. There were other bad posts in the WC sub-forum that Corrin highlighted in his original post, and trying to narrow it down to just the banter and then saying that's how it always is in CC match threads is just being obtuse.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The posters or the team? People make fun of Pakistan all the time. And frankly, they should.

If you're making fun of posters directly, that's a different issue and not one we're talking about.
Yeah, as long as you are not repetitively trolling like Umar_Akmal or Sir Alex (baiting Aus n Eng members), I don't see any thing wrong with making fun of a team for a loss of theirs or some thing which happened against them or their performance in a tournament.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Making fun of someone and something that people have an emotional involvement with is always going to be risky business. The difference is when you are trying to elicit a reaction out of posters rather than talk about the going-ons at hand.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Disclaimer: I haven't read most of the posts in this thread.

I ran a search for posts by you that contained the words "soccer" and "stupid" and got 83 results. Obviously I didn't look through all of them, but that's a sizeable number that would get someone banned if they did that in Cricket Chat.

Also, it's funny how it's becoming a discussion of the Pom baiting only. There were other bad posts in the WC sub-forum that Corrin highlighted in his original post, and trying to narrow it down to just the banter and then saying that's how it always is in CC match threads is just being obtuse.
There were many of them in the IPL thread who kept calling it stupid and even kept criticising every aspect of it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Is GIMH's real agenda really is to get me banned for 3 or 7 days just because he was banned? Meh.

Agent TBY

International Captain
There were many of them in the IPL thread who kept calling it stupid and even kept criticising every aspect of it.
Do you really not see the difference between calling the IPL stupid and doing the same for Football?

pasag

RTDAS
In fairness to SS, I think he was posting exactly how he posts on cricket. He was obviously getting into the spirit of the festivities, and bought his own unique (read:dire) perspective on sports in general, y'know - all players should be allowed to take drugs, test cricketers should wear coloured clothing, the toss should be replaced by pre-match fisticuffs etc.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In fairness to SS, I think he was posting exactly how he posts on cricket. He was obviously getting into the spirit of the festivities, and bought his own unique (read:dire) perspective on sports in general, y'know - all players should be allowed to take drugs, test cricketers should wear coloured clothing, the toss should be replaced to pre-match fisticuffs etc.
wac

Also, tell me pre-match fisticuffs wouldn't be the greatest thing ever. Symonds vs. Harbhajan. Symonds beats the **** out of Harby. People who want to see Harby get the snot knocked out of him win, people who want to think Aussies abuse Indians win, and people who think Symonds is an asshole win.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In fairness to SS, I think he was posting exactly how he posts on cricket. He was obviously getting into the spirit of the festivities, and bought his own unique (read:dire) perspective on sports in general, y'know - all players should be allowed to take drugs, test cricketers should wear coloured clothing, the toss should be replaced by pre-match fisticuffs etc.
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.