• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Political Advertising on Forum

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So I click on to the Aussie Politics thread today and cop an ad at the bottom of the page for the Liberal candidate in the State seat of Penrith, which bi-election is tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on this? Personally I threw up, but I hate Tories, except for Cribb, HJ, Social and the lads on here, who are all decent blokes despite this obvious short coming..

Thing is, come the Federal or State elections, will the site accept ads from the parties? If so, which ones?

If the BNP wanted to advertise on here, or One Nation, would it be acceptable to you as a member, or for that matter, would the site accept and run their ads?

I'm sure David Oldfield likes cricket. What if he wanted to advertise?

Is CW better off without any political ads on here, or should we rightly only let the ALP and the unions advertise?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
The ads are all done through Google and automatically approved. We have the ability to block certain ads, but unless they're against forum rules, they're perfectly fine.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Burgey raises an interesting point tho, I'm not sufficiently gened up on the BNP's policies to know if they actually contravene any specific forum rules, but they aren't an organisation I'd feel comfortable sharing bandwidth with, tbh.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
During the US elections the site was flooded with McCain ads. Im not sure Ive formed an opinion yet on whether I have a problem or not with political ads on Cricketweb.

On one hand Id like to see a separation but on the other, it is just ads

pasag

RTDAS
Disagree that political ads shouldn't be allowed on here ftr unless you think all forms of political advertising in any medium should be banned. If it's on behalf of a malicious organisation like One Nation then by all means block it, but don't really see the case that it should be banned all together because they could do it if that's what you're arguing (the whole slippery slope thing...)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Disagree that political ads shouldn't be allowed on here ftr unless you think all forms of political advertising in any medium should be banned. If it's on behalf of a malicious organisation like One Nation then by all means block it, but don't really see the case that it should be banned all together because they could do it if that's what you're arguing (the whole slippery slope thing...)
BNP's position fairly similar to One Nation's, I think. Rights for (white) natives and "repatriation" of minorities, including (bizarrely) those UK born and raised; that kinda thing.

I'm not ads from anti mainstream parties of whichever leaning, but would have no issue with the far right fringe being banned from CW bandwidth, myself.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So the ads are related to words on the page, eh?

Sure would hate to see some ads on hot bikini babes...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Burgey raises an interesting point tho, I'm not sufficiently gened up on the BNP's policies to know if they actually contravene any specific forum rules, but they aren't an organisation I'd feel comfortable sharing bandwidth with, tbh.
As soon as you start deciding which political parties you'll accept ads from though and which you won't, the site does become inheritantly politcally biased. You and I both disagree with the BNP policies but that doesn't make them invalid. I disagree with the ALP and British Labour policies too but I don't think their ads should be banned. Whether the policies of any given party are over-the-top is a purely subjective opinion - it's a very slippery slope.

Anwyay, as has been said, we don't decide which ads get put up at the moment; they're just Google ads. James hasn't been taking money from the Libs, Burgey. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Take your point, but what if these good people, or their Australian equivalent, decided to run an ad?

American Nazi Party
Yeah, again, I don't think it should be illegal or anything. Obviously it's up to the discretion of the site administrator, but if the owner of a website decided to allow Australian Liberal Party ads and not Australian Nazi Party ads I'd class that as a politically biased decision (unless it was based on the money offered or the potential loss of members or something like that). Not that it'd necessarily be a bad one, but it'd be politically biased all the same as it'd based on the political leanings of the admin.

Personally if I was running an apolitical website and Nazi Party ads starting appearing on it via Google AdSense, I'd just disable all political ads, which I'm pretty sure you can do. Don't think it's an issue at the moment though.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, again, I don't think it should be illegal or anything. Obviously it's up to the discretion of the site administrator, but if the owner of a website decided to allow Australian Liberal Party ads and not Australian Nazi Party ads I'd class that as a politically biased decision (unless it was based on the money offered or the potential loss of members or something like that). Not that it'd necessarily be a bad one, but it'd be politically biased all the same as it'd based on the political leanings of the admin.

Personally if I was running an apolitical website and Nazi Party ads starting appearing on it via Google AdSense, I'd just disable all political ads, which I'm pretty sure you can do. Don't think it's an issue at the moment though.
Good points, well made.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ad-block FTW, TBH.
CW has ads? Thank you Ad-block!
CW ads don't distract from reading content. They are miniscule. The better path imo is to not use ad-block for cw and click if you wish, or just for the sake of it once in a while. Adds to the revenue for the site. I don't even know if James breaks even, he pays for the best servers and it is very costly.

I am part of a forum which has the concept of donations via which members who want can contribute to the site, whatever amount. It can add up collectively. I personally can't think of any negatives of it but some one may. Any way, it is Just an idea. Not my call to make.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was thinking another thing, it is not only a question of breaking even. If donation from members can generate revenue, we can use it to improve the site. There are millions of ways we can improve the site. It is members giving back to the site, a site from which they have derived pleasure, to make it a better website.