Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deletion of posts

Icon2 Deletion of posts

Of late, moderators have been putting in greater effort towards deleting posts that are either against forum rules, or detract from forum atmosphere. That's pretty commendable, but it doesn't seem right to see them deleted without mention of their being deleted, and the reasons for doing so. Surely it would be considerate to leave a note of the action taken and the reasons for doing so instead of members seeing posts vanish without a trace?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Yeah I have a lot of posts deleted and its really annoying when there's no explanation for them vanishing
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Banned
    Please do it, or atleast mention that in a "notification" thread which is the norm I've seen in otherforums.

Banned
    Also the person would know who has deleted it and possibly contact that moderator via messaging to clarify why it was deleted.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Best way would be to create a mod that allows the poster to see his deleted post with the GM's reason for deletion. Attached is an example from PC of how the poster would see this.

And nice to hear that mods are using the delete button a little more often, long time coming IMO. Oh and welcome to the dark side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RIP Craigos

International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    WTF. What happened to my post in this thread?
    orz

Last edited by nightprowler10; 27-03-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Can you edit that mate, I've deleted my post now as the person I was replying to edited theirs. And I was only sticking up for you, ****
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Can you edit that mate, I've deleted my post now as the person I was replying to edited theirs. And I was only sticking up for you, ****
    Nah I'd rather you look like a prick.

LOL at all the edited/deleted posts in this thread already though.
    Last edited by nightprowler10; 27-03-2010 at 09:14 AM.

I like that mods are deleting posts. Sure give reasons, but keep up the good work peeps
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    gree with nthe joino

Is there a new moderation policy to delete posts the way they have been deleted in the recent past? If yes, the forum members should definitely be informed what kind of posts will be deleted. Also the person whose post is deleted HAS to be given reasons for why the post was deleted. Post deleted means he broke a rule. You must inform what forum rule a person broke, else the person will not know and keep making the same error.

I was discussing with GI Joe and we concluded one moderator is doing most of the deletion of the posts. That has to be looked into too. New mods appointed need to ease into moderation rather than start moderating full on from the first day as they are new and bound to make mistakes. Ease into the job like Andyc or PhoenixFire did.

The best moderators are the ones who get noticed the least - ones like Vic_Orthdox and SilentStriker. I have seen SilentStriker deal with quite a few troublesome situations with a lot of maturity.

Things to ponder about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    The best moderators are the ones who get noticed the least - ones like Vic_Orthdox and SilentStriker. I have seen SilentStriker deal with quite a few troublesome situations with a lot of maturity.

Things to ponder about.
    That's ironic. 2 weeks ago you were compaining that certain moderators, in your opinion, weren't active enough.
    Last edited by Furball; 28-03-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Also, if this is in reference to the Mohammad Yousuf retirement thread, I logged on quickly in the morning before work, saw the problem posts in question, and deleted them before the thread turned into a giant flame war. As I only had 10 minutes online before work, deleting the posts was all I could do, my actions were explained to the rest of the mods, and by the time I got back from work, the situation had been dealt with.

The alternative situation would have been to ignore the problem since I didn't have time to deal with it, without knowing if any other mods were online. IMO, that's not good moderating in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Also the person whose post is deleted HAS to be given reasons for why the post was deleted.
    They don't HAVE to do anything. Best thing with deleted posts is just to delete them and if the person reposts the post, then tell them what their error is. Otherwise, as we've seen in some threads, the guilty party turns it into a whole new soap opera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information