• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Deletion of posts

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Of late, moderators have been putting in greater effort towards deleting posts that are either against forum rules, or detract from forum atmosphere. That's pretty commendable, but it doesn't seem right to see them deleted without mention of their being deleted, and the reasons for doing so. Surely it would be considerate to leave a note of the action taken and the reasons for doing so instead of members seeing posts vanish without a trace?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I have a lot of posts deleted and its really annoying when there's no explanation for them vanishing

Sir Alex

Banned
Please do it, or atleast mention that in a "notification" thread which is the norm I've seen in otherforums.

Sir Alex

Banned
Also the person would know who has deleted it and possibly contact that moderator via messaging to clarify why it was deleted.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Best way would be to create a mod that allows the poster to see his deleted post with the GM's reason for deletion. Attached is an example from PC of how the poster would see this.

And nice to hear that mods are using the delete button a little more often, long time coming IMO. Oh and welcome to the dark side. :ph34r:

Attachments

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can you edit that mate, I've deleted my post now as the person I was replying to edited theirs. And I was only sticking up for you, **** :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like that mods are deleting posts. Sure give reasons, but keep up the good work peeps

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Is there a new moderation policy to delete posts the way they have been deleted in the recent past? If yes, the forum members should definitely be informed what kind of posts will be deleted. Also the person whose post is deleted HAS to be given reasons for why the post was deleted. Post deleted means he broke a rule. You must inform what forum rule a person broke, else the person will not know and keep making the same error.

I was discussing with GI Joe and we concluded one moderator is doing most of the deletion of the posts. That has to be looked into too. New mods appointed need to ease into moderation rather than start moderating full on from the first day as they are new and bound to make mistakes. Ease into the job like Andyc or PhoenixFire did.

The best moderators are the ones who get noticed the least - ones like Vic_Orthdox and SilentStriker. I have seen SilentStriker deal with quite a few troublesome situations with a lot of maturity.

Things to ponder about.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The best moderators are the ones who get noticed the least - ones like Vic_Orthdox and SilentStriker. I have seen SilentStriker deal with quite a few troublesome situations with a lot of maturity.

Things to ponder about.
That's ironic. 2 weeks ago you were compaining that certain moderators, in your opinion, weren't active enough.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also, if this is in reference to the Mohammad Yousuf retirement thread, I logged on quickly in the morning before work, saw the problem posts in question, and deleted them before the thread turned into a giant flame war. As I only had 10 minutes online before work, deleting the posts was all I could do, my actions were explained to the rest of the mods, and by the time I got back from work, the situation had been dealt with.

The alternative situation would have been to ignore the problem since I didn't have time to deal with it, without knowing if any other mods were online. IMO, that's not good moderating in the slightest.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Also the person whose post is deleted HAS to be given reasons for why the post was deleted.
They don't HAVE to do anything. Best thing with deleted posts is just to delete them and if the person reposts the post, then tell them what their error is. Otherwise, as we've seen in some threads, the guilty party turns it into a whole new soap opera.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Best way would be to create a mod that allows the poster to see his deleted post with the GM's reason for deletion. Attached is an example from PC of how the poster would see this.

And nice to hear that mods are using the delete button a little more often, long time coming IMO. Oh and welcome to the dark side. :ph34r:
Seems a good idea IMHO. I'm in favour of CW's new all singing, dancing, arse-kicking & bitch-slapping moderating, but if posts are just disappeared like latin American dissidents there's a danger threads might begin to make less sense for those who read it after.At least with a notice of deletion we'll know something untoward has happened.

Love the fact a reason for deletion is given too; could became an art-form in itself.

Reason for deletion: mentions first chance average.

Fusion

Global Moderator
With NP and Brumby here. I think it's great that mods are deleting posts, rather than allowing them to derail threads left and right. However, there should be a note that a post was deleted and the offending party should be able to tell why.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Post deleted means he broke a rule.
Generally, slanderous statements are what has led to posts being deleted. However, we are also inclined to stop all discussion around that slanderous statement.

E.g. accusing someone of matchfixing when there is no evidence. We have to delete the post concerned, and will warn the person involved. We will also delete any posts quoting and addressing that point, because it will sidetrack discussion over a topic that generally will not concern the thread; it may be quoting the statement.

Thus, people with deleted posts can often not have done anything wrong. It is a case of us redirecting the thread to appropriate discussion.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That's ironic. 2 weeks ago you were compaining that certain moderators, in your opinion, weren't active enough.
Unrelated.

Certain moderators are certainly not active enough. Guys like Loony Bob and Pickup don't moderate nearly enough. As Pasag said in that thread, I would prefer guys not to do just the backyard work and leave the front yard work to a few people. There are enough people to take responsibility of doing both jobs, in Pasag's own words. That's my opinion.

I must say though that given that it is a moderation team, it is their opinion which matters on the matter and if they feel a few guys can stick in the team as they contribute to offline discussions, it is fair enough.

Last edited: