• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Postcounts - 2010

Would you be in favour of removing post-counts from postbits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Explain what you mean? If I say I've thought it through, I've thought it through
Your only post on the matter was this one:
Nobody is saying let them do whatever, what we are saying is let's make them feel welcome and gently point them in the right direction. Plenty of posters started out not very good and have become valued contributors. If we insult people from the get go, then we might lose potentially good contributors.
I don't believe you thought through the "if we insult them from the word go" bit - as I pointed-out, there's no suggestion anywhere that anyone should do that.

And as I've said before, "abuse" is overwhelmingly preferable to "insult", because insult is taken not given; abuse is given.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"To say something which is offensive" - offence is taken, not given. What may be offensive to one may be not remotely offensive to another.

As I say - "abuse" would be so much easier to police if it was in the forum rules than "insult".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Insult is a verb Richard.

Abuse and insult are one and the same, and aside semantics aren't the point here, so why is that what you're discussing? Whichever word you use it the overall point remains the same - let's be more welcoming and less dismissive to n00bs

cpr

International Coach
I know that, but "being mean" isn't something with a concrete definition. It depends on a myriad of things.

Did it out of love.

C'mon Richard, usually one of the first to defend your unique nature to posting, but this time your out on your own, and not exactly clawing yourself back with posts like that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree tbh Sanz

Without meaning any offence to the old Sanz, you seem a lot friendlier of late :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Insult is a verb Richard.

Abuse and insult are one and the same, and aside semantics aren't the point here, so why is that what you're discussing? Whichever word you use it the overall point remains the same - let's be more welcoming and less dismissive to n00bs
Confusingly, both abuse and insult have the exact same spelling for their noun and verb (which both have). No matter, though - to abuse and to insult, and a piece of abuse and an insult, are not the same thing. As I say, an insult is taken, abuse is given. You cannot insult someone if they don't find it insulting. Abuse is much easier to define. And it'd be a hell of a lot better if the rules made it easy for mods rather than difficult.

Either way, it's irrelevant to the n00b question.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Did it out of love.

C'mon Richard, usually one of the first to defend your unique nature to posting, but this time your out on your own, and not exactly clawing yourself back with posts like that.
That's as maybe - but as I say, it's easy to say someone's being mean. The trouble is, it's very easy to be mean in the eyes of onlookers and recipient without the perpetrator remotely meaning to.

cpr

International Coach
That's as maybe - but as I say, it's easy to say someone's being mean. The trouble is, it's very easy to be mean in the eyes of onlookers and recipient without the perpetrator remotely meaning to.
Problem is, the vast majority are pointing out they feel your posting is being mean, showing respect to your peers would be altering your posting style. Sticking to your guns in the face of some rather respected posters smacks of arrogance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not neccessarily advocating doing so - I don't favour "being mean" either. I'm simply saying that virtually anything can be construed as mean, so "don't be mean" is rather a convoluted suggestion.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I'm not neccessarily advocating doing so - I don't favour "being mean" either. I'm simply saying that virtually anything can be construed as mean, so "don't be mean" is rather a convoluted suggestion.
I think generally 'meanness' is defined by the society and culture you are in. The society here seems to believe you are acting in a 'mean' manner, ergo you are being 'mean'. If everyone acted as they wished with no regard to what the large majority (whole majority minus you?) considered appropriate, society would cease to function.

This is getting petty now though, why don't you just refrain from how you're acting towards new posters, regardless of whether you think it's right or wrong. It can't be that much of a problem for you to do so and would generate a far better forum atmosphere because others wouldn't take offence to it. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In case it's escaped the notice of anyone, I haven't actually "acted like I've acted" towards n00bs all that often at all. There just happened to be a few instances in the immediate precursor to that thread, and another one during it.