• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Postcounts - 2010

Would you be in favour of removing post-counts from postbits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
What would improve the quality of the forum for n00bs is for members with high post counts not to talk down to n00bs if they start inane threads.

That's where post count becomes an issue. If Johnny B. N00b discovers the site, registers and then starts a topic on who the better batsman out of Ponting, Lara or Tendulkar is, or starts a Murali vs Warne poll, because it's something they're genuinely interested in discussing, all it takes is for a few guys with monsterous post counts to give JBN grief and he's going to think "what a bunch of ****s, not posting there again."

Whereas if said high post members guide them to where it's already been done to death before, and are decent about it, JBN is more encouraged to stick around because the forum seems like a friendly place, and becomes a better poster for it, because he knows better than to just jump in with the first question that pops into his head.

Take the new American member who posted the "noob question" thread. A prime example of how new members with questions, no matter how stupid they may seem, should be treated.
Agree with this. You would think some people would be able to exercise a little self control, but it seems they can't. If you aren't interested in a particular topic, don't read the thread. If you see yet another thread on Tendulkar vs Bradman vs Paraguay, don't open the thread. You'd think this a simple rule but some posters need to compulsively reply to everything borders on disturbing addiction, imo.

andmark

International Captain
Post counts suggest how experienced a member is to the forums, and to the Internet all together (for example, Richard has a post count of 79,000+ which obviously shows he's very experienced on here.) I say leave them in.

Langeveldt

Soutie
What would improve the quality of the forum for n00bs is for members with high post counts not to talk down to n00bs if they start inane threads.

That's where post count becomes an issue. If Johnny B. N00b discovers the site, registers and then starts a topic on who the better batsman out of Ponting, Lara or Tendulkar is, or starts a Murali vs Warne poll, because it's something they're genuinely interested in discussing, all it takes is for a few guys with monsterous post counts to give JBN grief and he's going to think "what a bunch of ****s, not posting there again."

Whereas if said high post members guide them to where it's already been done to death before, and are decent about it, JBN is more encouraged to stick around because the forum seems like a friendly place, and becomes a better poster for it, because he knows better than to just jump in with the first question that pops into his head.

Take the new American member who posted the "noob question" thread. A prime example of how new members with questions, no matter how stupid they may seem, should be treated.
Exactly..

Why should a Noob have to search through the entire forum history, on every topic ever.. If he wants to create a discussion? If nobody wants to talk about it, it will fizzle out.. But I hate this, Mr 30,000 posts telling Nina Newbie that Rob Key's penchant for Pepper Steak Pies has been discussed in the "Was MacGill more effective than Tendulkar on a pitch that offers assitance to the wristy" thread..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Post counts suggest how experienced a member is to the forums, and to the Internet all together (for example, Richard has a post count of 79,000+ which obviously shows he's very experienced on here.) I say leave them in.
To me that just suggests Richard hasn't mastered the multi quote function.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've just made a suggestion regarding n00bs in the CC thread, would be interested in people's thoughts

Craig

World Traveller
I get the impression is that James tends to be in favour of removing of post counts. So why doesn't he? I'll still still visit regardless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with this. You would think some people would be able to exercise a little self control, but it seems they can't. If you aren't interested in a particular topic, don't read the thread. If you see yet another thread on Tendulkar vs Bradman vs Paraguay, don't open the thread. You'd think this a simple rule but some posters need to compulsively reply to everything borders on disturbing addiction, imo.
No-one, to my knowledge, does that. I'd say I come closest to it and of late and at most times (there are exceptions) I'd say that I read about 2\3rds of CC threads on the front-page.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To me that just suggests Richard hasn't mastered the multi quote function.
I've said it many times - I do not approve of the use of the multi-quote button to post replies to 3-4 totally unrelated posts in a single post.

I do use it, if I'm replying to two related posts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I think it's important to make the distinction between types of inane threads. I don't see any reason not to say "that's a pretty inane opening post" to something that's, well, pretty inane. Then there are things that are only inane because they've become so - eg, Tendulkar vs Lara, Warne vs Murali. Unless the Warne-vs-Murali thread is on the first page, I don't think you can blame Johnny B. N00b for starting a thread on that subject too much; but if he starts one that says (for example) "New Zealand play Test cricket", then I think some amount of "... um... and?" is deserved.

I'm disappointed if the attitude of "it's a n00b, let 'em do whatever for a little while" is taken TBH. I'd say sometimes you can see a poster is trouble almost right from the start, and sometimes you can tell that a thread made early on is for all intents completely useless.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nobody is saying let them do whatever, what we are saying is let's make them feel welcome and gently point them in the right direction. Plenty of posters started out not very good and have become valued contributors. If we insult people from the get go, then we might lose potentially good contributors.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well we're going to lose potentially good contributors full-stop, sadly, but I guess that's beside the point. Yes, people deserve an effort to be made to make them feel welcome when n00b, and yes, more posters than not haven't made a particularly impressive start. But as I say, I think it's come to something when a mildly sarcastic comment that essentially says "this is a useless question being posed and a thread on it adds nothing useful to the forum" is seen as taboo.

No-one, least of all me, is suggesting that posts along the lines of "you ****, wtf you think you're doing coming in here posting crap like this in CC?" are desireable.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well we're going to lose potentially good contributors full-stop, sadly, but I guess that's beside the point. Yes, people deserve an effort to be made to make them feel welcome when n00b, and yes, more posters than not haven't made a particularly impressive start. But as I say, I think it's come to something when a mildly sarcastic comment that essentially says "this is a useless question being posed and a thread on it adds nothing useful to the forum" is seen as taboo.

No-one, least of all me, is suggesting that posts along the lines of "you ****, wtf you think you're doing coming in here posting crap like this in CC?" are desireable.
It doesn't help add to a friendly atmosphere though.

If it's a useless question, you don't have to post anything. Sarcastically pointing out that such a thread is useless isn't going to encourage n00bs to stick around and hopefully contribute to the community positively, particularly when there's absolutely no need for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It doesn't help add to a friendly atmosphere though.

If it's a useless question, you don't have to post anything. Sarcastically pointing out that such a thread is useless isn't going to encourage n00bs to stick around and hopefully contribute to the community positively, particularly when there's absolutely no need for it.
I think pointing-out that a post is a bad one is neccessary to improve quality of posting. Of course, there are ways of doing that, and clearly some think the methodology I favour is one of the less good ways. But just leaving it and saying nothing - which either means the thread just dies with 0 replies or a few people make a few posts that have precious little significance - isn't the way forward.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think pointing-out that a post is a bad one is neccessary to improve quality of posting. Of course, there are ways of doing that, and clearly some think the methodology I favour is one of the less good ways. But just leaving it and saying nothing - which either means the thread just dies with 0 replies or a few people make a few posts that have precious little significance - isn't the way forward.
That post is a bad one.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
All your posts are bad. Sorry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, they're not. And posts like that are every bit as unacceptable and abusive as those reading "you ****", simple as.

cpr

International Coach
Pointing it out to your or me yes, as we know better. Pointing it out to a new poster is like scolding a 5 year old for failing to do simultaneous equations, the the person time to learn, and learn from general reaction to their posts (eg, pointing in right direction, not chastizing them)