• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lots of misconceptions in this thread. There seems to be this idea out there that we're sure it's him but have decided to let him be. This is not the case - if we were sure it was him, he'd be banned regardless of whether he was causing trouble or not, as several of Precam's accounts have been banned before.

While I agree that Sir Alex's posting style bares a resemblance to that on Precambrian, there's no real evidence to prove that they are one and the same. To cite an example, if I had managed to get myself banned just before Uppercut joined, you might be having this conversation about Uppercut's account right now. If anyone has evidence beyond that of "he posts in a similar way and supports India" then feel free to contact the moderation team with it. We don't want to get into the business of banning people as dupes before we're sure they are in fact dupes - the last Sledger incident is a good example of why.
If I might ask, how were you more sure about previous Precamb dupes than you are here? The way I understand it you've never been able to use IP checks to dig him out because he's masked it. Apart from them, what is there?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If I might ask, how were you more sure about previous Precamb dupes than you are here? The way I understand it you've never been able to use IP checks to dig him out because he's masked it. Apart from them, what is there?
An honest answer to this question would really accomplish nothing other than giving him ideas as to how to better cover his tracks.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
An honest answer to this question would really accomplish nothing other than giving him ideas as to how to better cover his tracks.
Ah yeah, hadn't thought about that - fair enough. Will see if I can catch you privately to discuss.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There are two polar groups here. One thinks he is doing okay, so should stay. Second and the rule of CW is that he should be banned. I belong in the first group as I believe forgiveness is an opportunity to re-connect one should not miss upon.

It is good for the site if Precam in whatever avatar stays as he adds to the site and is not a disruptive influence at all now IMO. Others obviously feel it sets a bad precedence.

He can't obviously be banned till proven so as Prince says regardless of which group you belong to.

cpr

International Coach
I'm in the group let the person post, if you've suspicion/evidence, email the mods, not shout it accross the forums.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are two polar groups here. One thinks he is doing okay, so should stay. Second and the rule of CW is that he should be banned. I belong in the first group as I believe forgiveness is an opportunity to re-connect one should not miss upon.

It is good for the site if Precam in whatever avatar stays as he adds to the site and is not a disruptive influence at all now IMO. Others obviously feel it sets a bad precedence.
As I say, I never had that much of a problem with Precam and I'd not be against giving him a second chance \ forgiving him. But any second chance must be given because he's apologised and asked to be forgiven, not because he's tried so hard that he's been allowed to break one of the most important CW rules. He'd need to start by admitting his sins in terms of duplicate accounts and promising not to repeat that.

It is in my book absolutely essential that mods avoid setting the precedent of "if you duplicate enough times you'll be let off a perm-ban".

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As I say, I never had that much of a problem with Precam and I'd not be against giving him a second chance \ forgiving him. But any second chance must be given because he's apologised and asked to be forgiven, not because he's tried so hard that he's been allowed to break one of the most important CW rules. He'd need to start by admitting his sins in terms of duplicate accounts and promising not to repeat that.

It is in my book absolutely essential that mods avoid setting the precedent of "if you duplicate enough times you'll be let off a perm-ban".
I agree. He tried to apologize once but that was half truth and half lies. If he comes out honest, if Sledger can be given another chance (and he has proven to be a well rounded member) when he makes a sincere request, any one can IMO. A precedence has already been set there. Precambrian only adds to the forum by contributing to it when he is not attacking other members, which he usually doesn't do.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

He can't obviously be banned till proven so as Prince says regardless of which group you belong to.
Think that's overstating it. I don't care if he stays or he goes and have never really had any issues with him in any of his various guises; but the fact remains that if perma bans are so easy to circumvent they become effectively meaningless.

As for the PEWS/Uppercut similarities, I've never really seen them as anything other than very superficial (one could equally say UC shares Dicko's over-fondness for the adverb, for instance) and I seriously doubt anyone would take a league fan from Sydney for a ManUre supporting Ulsterman.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is being circumvented, yes. But if there is sincerity in the member, which can be seen and assessed in the future (the member can be accepted on parole just like that 7 year old member who returned was, and he was given a perma too), it adds to the forum and we are each contributors to the forum and in the end want our forum enhanced. And it does enhance by more good contributors IMO.

But he has to accept his flaws and promise not to break forum rules in the future if he is ever to be accepted again. I am no spokesperson for the forum though I love it as much as any one else but Benchmark once asked me to request James to unban him (half jokingly). I told him he has to request himself and promise to follow forum rules if he is ever to be even considered. He refused to take that step and so deserved no chance. Precam also deserves no more chances before he requests for one. Then, we might consider it.

I am not a spokesperson for the forum, I repeat, but I hope I am not over stating here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree. He tried to apologize once but that was half truth and half lies. If he comes out honest, if Sledger can be given another chance (and he has proven to be a well rounded member) when he makes a sincere request, any one can IMO. A precedence has already been set there. Precambrian only adds to the forum by contributing to it when he is not attacking other members, which he usually doesn't do.
It is being circumvented, yes. But if there is sincerity in the member, which can be seen and assessed in the future (the member can be accepted on parole just like that 7 year old member who returned was, and he was given a perma too), it adds to the forum and we are each contributors to the forum and in the end want our forum enhanced. And it does enhance by more good contributors IMO.

But he has to accept his flaws and promise not to break forum rules in the future if he is ever to be accepted again. I am no spokesperson for the forum though I love it as much as any one else but Benchmark once asked me to request James to unban him (half jokingly). I told him he has to request himself and promise to follow forum rules if he is ever to be even considered. He refused to take that step and so deserved no chance. Precam also deserves no more chances before he requests for one. Then, we might consider it.

I am not a spokesperson for the forum, I repeat, but I hope I am not over stating here.
sledger didn't apologise, there is no precedent. His ban was lifted because it turned out the reason he was banned was non-existant.

And secondly, you can say "I am not a spokesperson" all you like, it doesn't change the fact that you are speaking with authority that you don't have in these posts.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sledger's last ban, a perma ban was lifted because it turned out wrong. I was speaking about the earlier ban. It was a six monther but Sledger's behaviour was close to bringing him a perma ban. He behaved in despicable fashion in his initital years in CW. The worst way you can imagine creating nonsense threads and trouble every where he went.

There is the precedence of susudear in a permabanned member being returned though. However long it was, the perma ban was lifted.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And secondly, you can say "I am not a spokesperson" all you like, it doesn't change the fact that you are speaking with authority that you don't have in these posts.
As I said, I hoped I didn't over state. I am not sure if I did or I did not and there is a fair chance I might/mightn't have.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sledger's last ban, a perma ban was lifted because it turned out wrong. I was speaking about the earlier ban. It was a six monther but Sledger's behaviour was close to bringing him a perma ban. He behaved in despicable fashion in his initital years in CW. The worst way you can imagine creating nonsense threads and trouble every where he went.

There is the precedence of susudear in a permabanned member being returned though. However long it was, the perma ban was lifted.
It was a six-monther. He served the lot. I cbf with the hyperbole in the rest of the post as it doesn't really matter but whether he 'nearly' got a perma or not (and basically you're speculating, given that, you know, you aren't a mod) it's not a precedent.

As for susudear. I thought that was Precam?

I know FRAZ had a perma - he apologised though and hadn't tried 8 or 9 dupes to get around the ban.

I'm not particularly a fan of Precam but wouldn't lose sleep if he was allowed back. I'm simply of the opinion that if Sir Alex is Precam, he should be banned on that basis and no other. But if there isn't proof, he shouldn't be banned on a whim, however many people may think it, as that would reflect awfully on the site.

That's all there is to it, for me, but since about the 4th Precam dupe, mods have asked us to use email/PM to express any suspicions, and I think people should take note of that to be quite honest.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't mind Sir Alex staying. I do think he and avada kedavra (sp?) are the same person, though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
GIMH, there was a member who returned after 6-7 years after he was permabanned. I don't remember the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.