Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Draft threads

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Draft threads

I'm not one to go in for all this cricket team draft stuff but it's proven very popular amongst many people, both regular CC'ers and non-. In the last 10 months there've been 23 threads on the matter. I'm guessing, given how long it's been going on for, that it's something that is going to be continuing for the foreseeable future - I presume people enjoy doing new versions of it.

However, I personally find it rather annoying to have the threads clogging-up CC TBH - I hope others who don't take part feel the same. I've asked the question before over whether a subforum could be created for the exercise - it's always been pretty offhand because the scale had still not built up very much, but there are more and more threads all the time. Please could some serious consideration be given to a subforum? We had one for the Predictions League, which seems a similar exercise to this draft lark - a CW game that is quite popular among the masses.

It'd just seem to me to be the logical way forward, if this is something that's going to last as long as it is doing.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    And the predictions league died a horrible death.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

There are four at the moment on the front page. Two of which are no-doubt to be short lived poll threads hanging off one of the drafts that has just finished and hence will also probably disappear in another few days.

You'll be down to two on the front page within a couple of days. There was a bit of a craze about 12 months ago where there was like six going at once, but doubt we'll see that again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

The way I understand it the Pred Lg essentially simply stopped when Marc left the forum. It'd been profitable for ages beforehand.

From what I can see, one respect in which this draft lark is different is that various people make various different versions, rather than being completely dependant on one person running the whole show. So the long-term permanence is hinted at a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    There are four at the moment on the front page. Two of which are no-doubt to be short lived poll threads hanging off one of the drafts that has just finished and hence will also probably disappear in another few days.

You'll be down to two on the front page within a couple of days. There was a bit of a craze about 12 months ago where there was like six going at once, but doubt we'll see that again.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Either way I'm not suggesting it's an epidemic, merely that it's something not remotely related to, well, actual cricket talk. It's just a game. And normally games which produce multiple threads on CW have separate subforums.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Not enough draft threads to warrant a subforum, might as well have one for each country and other discussed topics if we go down that route IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    TBF once marc had his flounce it was always doomed. I think perm stepped up briefly, but it was marc's baby, really.

Shame tho, did enjoy it.

Not in favour of a subbie for drafts tho; finite number we can do, really.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Nah, no subforum Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Not enough draft threads to warrant a subforum, might as well have one for each country and other discussed topics if we go down that route IMO
    Oh no, not at all, that's a completely different question. Everyone involved has always said we want to keep CC as a forum where cricket from any place is discussed, and not have any national divisions. The draft threads are not, purely and simply, "cricket chat", they're a continuous game.

There may not be all that many now, but as I say, the way things are (it appears to me) is that there will be more and more, as more ideas are thought of.

I don't think there will be more than 2-3 at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There may not be all that many now, but as I say, the way things are (it appears to me) is that there will be more and more, as more ideas are thought of.
    Nah, strongly disagree with this. They've slowly but surely been dropping off in number since they began. People are running thin on ideas for them. It's not a big issue at all for mine.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Nah, strongly disagree with this. They've slowly but surely been dropping off in number since they began. People are running thin on ideas for them. It's not a big issue at all for mine.
    I've got an idea for one

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well, if so then fair enough. If the thing eventually drops off then there'll be no need.

But 10 months is a long time, and if things haven't ceased in that time (even if there was a high-tide, which has now ebbed - something that remains to be seen), then my guess would be that they won't.

That and the fact that, as I say, it seems to be an exercise many CWers enjoy a great deal.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Who cares? May as well go ahead and create a subforum for Battle threads in OT while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information