• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

swear filter

shivfan

Banned
Do you have one?

There are some posters who occasionally use a word that they may not realise is offensive in other countries....

Can you put a swear filter in place so that such words are modded?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Words like ****, ****, ****wit and ****head are all filtered out if I understand correctly.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
****ing chaulk is a ****ing ****ing good poster. I want to have his ****ing babies.

shivfan

Banned
Well, the singular is modded, but we need the plural to be modded too....

Naumann (is that his name?) rightly took offence when ret used the plural of the word, and he's Pakistani, so I think it would be a good idea.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, the singular is modded, but we need the plural to be modded too....

Naumann (is that his name?) rightly took offence when ret used the plural of the word, and he's Pakistani, so I think it would be a good idea.
I thought Naumann was Precam. If he is, Precam's Indian.

Although he's had so many multis, he's really a citizen of the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The reason the plural hasn't been filtered is because it used to be the case that it came out "****s" but that caused problems when someone wrote Pakistan and it came out ****stan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There are a few anomalies. The "c" word & the "t" word are both filtered, but nightwatchman gets thorugh unscathed where S****horpe doesn't.

pasag

RTDAS
Going to open this back up again, because I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. Should a word like pak-i be added to the filter if it is only deemed offensive in one country out of the many that post on this site? If I recall correctly, a Pakistani poster was perplexed as to why it was initially filtered, having never even come across the fact it could be offensive.

Discuss.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Why not just force the forum to auto-replace every instance of pak i with Pakistani? I'm pretty sure its the easiest thing to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Going to open this back up again, because I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. Should a word like pak-i be added to the filter if it is only deemed offensive in one country out of the many that post on this site? If I recall correctly, a Pakistani poster was perplexed as to why it was initially filtered, having never even come across the fact it could be offensive.

Discuss.
Yeah, that was Xuhaib here.

Put it this way - doesn't do any harm to anyone anywhere to have an unoffensive word filtered; does do plenty of harm to have an offensive one unfiltered. I guarantee you, anyone familiar with UK culture will prefer not to see the term used; anyone not familiar will be a little perplexed, briefly, have the matter explained, and move on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Discuss.
I kinda flip flop on the idea, tbh.

Was stunned it's not considered offensive elsewhere initially, because it's really like the n-word over here. No word of a lie, it'd be less of a social faux pas to call the vicar a c-word than to use it. However I have seen non-UK readers on here who don't appear to have a racist bone in their bodies innocently use it, so maybe it could be allowed under close supervision from mods? Only slight concern is the occasional Indo-Pakistani flame wars that we aren't immune to, sadly.

I guess the nearest analogous word would be the diminutive of aboriginal, which (I understand) is very offensive in Oz, but wouldn't make anyone miss a beat here. Is that filtered?