• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

swear filter

James

Cricket Web Owner
This is much appreciated. When I didn't get the feedback, you can understand, I felt as if I was being ignored, and you can imagine how disappointing that felt
My apologies for that, I'm doing my best to respond to all Reported Posts that come in, but have had so many things on lately that a few things haven't quite worked out as planned.

If you get really concerned about anything, feel free to contact me personally through one of the addresses in my email signature.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Personally wish any more than two laughing smiley's in a row was on the list of filtered items. Perhaps we could arrange for :laugh::laugh::laugh: to be replaced with "I'm a moron". Especially given some posters use of it in EVERY single post.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally wish any more than two laughing smiley's in a row was on the list of filtered items. Perhaps we could arrange for :laugh::laugh::laugh: to be replaced with "I'm a moron". Especially given some posters use of it in EVERY single post.
Well, 1 or 2 more like. Been noted for yonks how multiple laugh smilies denotes an either naive or near-useless poster.

If there was some way to block it - obviously there isn't, but hypo-speaking - I'd be just delighted, as would so many.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Is laughlaughlaugh really worse than ROFL or LOL? In reply to a quoted funny post I mean, I agree that when JASON used it after everything he said, funny or not, it got irritating, but I find it's just a good way to show a post made me laugh. I guess one :laugh: might do the job though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, the thing is Jamee that when someone uses three laughing smileys it's generally laughing at their own jokes, rather than someone else's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is laughlaughlaugh really worse than ROFL or LOL? In reply to a quoted funny post I mean, I agree that when JASON used it after everything he said, funny or not, it got irritating, but I find it's just a good way to show a post made me laugh. I guess one :laugh: might do the job though.
There are a handful of posters (one lamentably a little more active than usual currently - I think most know which one I mean) who use multiple Laugh smilies every post, mostly when there's nothing remotely laugh-worthy in it. I seem to remember JASON doing it a bit, but he stopped once people pointed-out how moronic it was - he wasn't an unreasonable guy.

There's nothing too much wrong with quoting a post and putting one Laugh smiley, or a Laugh and a Lol, or a "LMAO" or "ROFL" etc. there, though from time to time it's a bit irritating and waste-of-post-ish IMO. Especially when someone does it in a personal-vendetta-enhancement way, which a handful of posters do from time to time. But that isn't the point that's being made.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah, the thing is Jamee that when someone uses three laughing smileys it's generally laughing at their own jokes, rather than someone else's.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: smacks of 'I can't be bothered coming up with an intelligent reply so I'm going to over compensate by doing more than the acceptable amount of smilies in a post' imo.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Might be annoying, but no more so than poor spelling, excessive hyphenation, under or over capitalisation, lack of paragraph breaks etc. Excessive use of smilies along with poor syntax generally indicate that the post is probably not worth reading, so don't know why you would want them banned, if anyone is seriously suggesting that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No-one's seriously suggesting it, because it'd be realistically impossible to do. But it'd be rather amusing to see such idiocy replaced with "I'm a moron" or similar.