• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

swear filter

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
ineducated should be filted to uneducated IMO.

I never knew the abbreviation for Pakistan was upsetting until I was told on here a couple of months back. I use to just write it in the same context as Kiwi, Pom, Aussie, Saffa etc.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was also never aware that it was offensive until joining the forum. Agree with most of what Adam said too.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Was also never aware that it was offensive until joining the forum. Agree with most of what Adam said too.
I never knew the abbreviation for Pakistan was upsetting until I was told on here a couple of months back. I use to just write it in the same context as Kiwi, Pom, Aussie, Saffa etc.
Don't watch The Bill?

Would cause confusion in your recipe thread.
Unless you're a cannibal :ph34r:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
This is my opinion, and not that of the moderating staff, but what's there to hide? If someone makes a statement that is obviously racist in intent, then the stars won't really hide that. With ambiguous terms we're better off leaving them unfiltered, and it allows everyone to see and judge it by the context in which it is delivered, and members/mods will judge other members on that - if you want to use terms in a racist manner, then your reputation will take a corresponding battering.

Additionally, it makes moderating easier, because we know exactly what's being said, and it reveals people/posters for whom they really are.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yep, if someone uses those terms for the wrong reasons it'll be instantly obvious and can be rightfully banned.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, that was Xuhaib here.

Put it this way - doesn't do any harm to anyone anywhere to have an unoffensive word filtered; does do plenty of harm to have an offensive one unfiltered. I guarantee you, anyone familiar with UK culture will prefer not to see the term used; anyone not familiar will be a little perplexed, briefly, have the matter explained, and move on.

The ultimate irony:

inoffensive

• adjective not objectionable or harmful.

— DERIVATIVES inoffensively adverb inoffensiveness noun.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
This is my opinion, and not that of the moderating staff, but what's there to hide? If someone makes a statement that is obviously racist in intent, then the stars won't really hide that. With ambiguous terms we're better off leaving them unfiltered, and it allows everyone to see and judge it by the context in which it is delivered, and members/mods will judge other members on that - if you want to use terms in a racist manner, then your reputation will take a corresponding battering.

Additionally, it makes moderating easier, because we know exactly what's being said, and it reveals people/posters for whom they really are.
Well, three days ago a UK resident used the word 'pakis' in the Semi-finals and Final thread, and it's still there....

I find it hard to believe that this word is not modded, and action is not taken, when action is taken against other posters for ridiculing Indians for being vegetarians....
:unsure:

Smith

Banned
Well, three days ago a UK resident used the word 'pakis' in the Semi-finals and Final thread, and it's still there....

I find it hard to believe that this word is not modded, and action is not taken, when action is taken against other posters for ridiculing Indians for being vegetarians....
BCCI owns the world. Now I stand convinced they have spread their tendrils of propaganda to unfathomable levels.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

That's a fair enough viewpoint, and that's about the only good reason I can think of for the word being unfiltered TBH. However, the problem remains of people not realising the offensive context, using it, and winding others who do up.

If a word is filtered (or auto-changed) this won't happen. You'll see it's been filtered and think "OK, maybe I shouldn't be using that word". Or you'll just not notice it's been changed.

shivfan

Banned
A post was made by a UK resident using the word 'pakis' on the 16th....

I complained about that post on the 18th, pressing the button on the post, and lodging my protest....

Two days later, that post is still there, and no mod or admin has replied to my complaint.

I must say, I'm amazed....

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This is where I stand. People who use the word in an offensive context don't bring shame on anyone but themselves. I'd much rather we know they're being racist so they can be unceremoniously booted from the forum than have them stick around.

Don't underestimate how offensive that term is over here though. Around the same level as the n-word.

A post was made by a UK resident using the word 'pakis' on the 16th....

I complained about that post on the 18th, pressing the button on the post, and lodging my protest....

Two days later, that post is still there, and no mod or admin has replied to my complaint.

I must say, I'm amazed....
If I'm not mistaken the person who used it was banned? Sometimes the mods here prefer to keep comments like that around so people know why, amongst other reasons. Or maybe noone reported it.

shivfan

Banned
Report the post.
I did....

On the 18th, I clicked on the 'report post' icon, and to date that post is still there.
There is nothing on the poster's profile to say that he's been banned. And TBH, I'm not calling on him to be banned. I just want the offensive post modified, so that it's no longer offensive.

Please see things from where I'm coming from....

I'm a West Indian of half-Asian origin (the other half being white English). I was born in the UK, my father is Sri Lankan, but I grew up in the Caribbean, and I consider myself to be West Indian. I returned to the UK to live a decade ago. One day, I was walking home with a bag of groceries in my hand, and two working class thugs came up to me and verbally abused me, calling me a ****ing P***, and telling me to go home to Pakistan. Hell, I was born in the UK, and I've never been to Pakistan!
:laugh:
Naturally, I was upset at what I felt was unwarranted abuse. I reported it to the police, who were very helpful, and they registered the abuse as a hate crime. However, every time I see that word, it brings back those unpleasant memories. I don't like to see it, much as I don't like to see it in its plural form either.

Look at it from another angle....

Supposing a group of gangsta rappers told you it's fine to use the n-word, because they jokingly use it among themselves. That's all well and good, but there are quite a few people around who find the n-word offensive. So, I would think that the n-word would be banned....

That's how I feel about the P-word....

And to be frank, I find it very difficult to post happily on a forum where the plural of the P-word is allowed. Because of the personal abuse I suffered.

James

Cricket Web Owner
We would have emailed you, but will post here instead so everyone knows what we're doing.

We're exploring the possibility in vBulletin where the word in question can be automatically converted to something else more appropriate.

Please bear with us while we explore this.

shivfan

Banned
We would have emailed you, but will post here instead so everyone knows what we're doing.

We're exploring the possibility in vBulletin where the word in question can be automatically converted to something else more appropriate.

Please bear with us while we explore this.
Thank you, James....

This is much appreciated. When I didn't get the feedback, you can understand, I felt as if I was being ignored, and you can imagine how disappointing that felt.

But now that you've outlined the plan of action, I'm completely comfortable with it.