Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: swear filter

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    **** - I want to see this added to the filter tbh.
    man_spitting_tea.bmp
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post
    Disagree with this strongly. Overzealous censorship diminishes my enjoyment of the forum, as it did a few years ago when anything the mod team thought remotely offensive was added to the word filter. Fortunately it has been reviewed since then, but if CW ever went back to banning dozens of perfectly legitimate words I probably wouldn't hang around for long.

The above isn't a comment on the word in question here, just an argument that Richard's statement doesn't hold true. At the least I think there should be a clear and consistent rationale for adding new words to the filter (such as the word having little or no legitimate non-pejorative use, which might be the case here).
    It doesn't really harm anyone in the way that calling someone an offensive word does though. I think it might be irritating to some, but I think that is price that is OK to pay, as long as it is within reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Abo is the first 3 letters of my dads name Abowen.

Nah it's not on the filter list.

Up until joining CW, I actually had no idea that the shortened version of Pakistani is considered to be offensive in the UK. Since then, however; I have talked with friends/relatives based in UK who educated me how deeply insulting that word is to them. It definitely is a strange anomaly to have a particular word so offensive in one country while used normally (and proudly!) in others. I can see both sides of the argument. Personally, Iím ok with the current rule of not filtering it. The mods can take a look at individual instances and if there was malicious intent, they will certainly take appropriate actions Iím sure. If it its filtered, no big deal either IMO. It shouldnít cause too much problems to type out the whole word.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I can see both sides of the coin. Richard is right is that in general it does not harm anyone to have a word they don't find offensive filtered. But then again, I'd be a bit miffed if 'Brit' was filtered.
    Really? Can't say I'd give a damn TBH, if there was good reason. I'd just use something else. Like, well... Britlander... or anything that fits.

Same way any fool can use "Pakistani" rather than "pa-ki". Costs them absolutely nothing whatsoever and if they CBA making the effort to type 5 extra letters in order to accommodate people whose land of residence is different to theirs then frankly they can get stuffed.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post
    Disagree with this strongly. Overzealous censorship diminishes my enjoyment of the forum, as it did a few years ago when anything the mod team thought remotely offensive was added to the word filter. Fortunately it has been reviewed since then, but if CW ever went back to banning dozens of perfectly legitimate words I probably wouldn't hang around for long.

The above isn't a comment on the word in question here, just an argument that Richard's statement doesn't hold true. At the least I think there should be a clear and consistent rationale for adding new words to the filter (such as the word having little or no legitimate non-pejorative use, which might be the case here).
    I find it difficult to understand, frankly, the POV of overzealous censorship diminshing anyone's enjoyment of the forum. Obviously, if that's the way you are then that's the way you are, but I personally couldn't give a damn what's filtered and what isn't.

Obviously it looks a bit foolish if things go OTT - and from what I've heard they did back in mid-2006 - but it doesn't remotely bother me.

In my view people who even particularly notice overzealous censorship, never mind take the time to comment on it or allow it to affect them, tend to be people who enjoy pushing the taboo boundaries. An attitude I've never hid my distaste for.

No, I make no apology for holding the attitude that OTT censorship >>>> lackadaisical non-censorship. There isn't a wrong or right way to go about these things, obviously - birds of a feather merely need to stick together. Else there's trouble-a-brewing. And I'd venture to suggest that the birds of a "I hate overzealous censorship" feather are fewer on CW than other such birds, though I may be wrong.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    I'd like to see Yorks***e added to the filter, currently i self censor it so as not offend anyone, but obviously its a bit of a chore.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

I'd find it hilarious to see any form of Yorkshire with asterisks anywhere modified to ********* or similar, so as no-one knew what the dodos were on about.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I think British members should be added to the filter. This would remove the problem with the word in question.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

I'll let you handle the action required to do that.

ineducated should be filted to uneducated IMO.

I never knew the abbreviation for Pakistan was upsetting until I was told on here a couple of months back. I use to just write it in the same context as Kiwi, Pom, Aussie, Saffa etc.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    My first ever email addy was proud_**** at yahoo dot com.
    RIP Craigos

Was also never aware that it was offensive until joining the forum. Agree with most of what Adam said too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Should we also add a brand of Australian Cheese while we are at it.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information