Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Page Numbers In URL

  1. #1
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,071

    Page Numbers In URL

    Because of the page numbers in URLs, I think that linking is more difficult because of the difference in page setups (i.e. 15 posts per page, 40, etc.).

    Just looking at a reported post and clicked on the link, and it didn't show anything up.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Just make it 40 posts per page for all, problem solved.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    Haven't page numbers always been in URLs?
    Or something.

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

  4. #4
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,850
    Individual posts don't have page numbers in their urls afaik.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,831
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Because of the page numbers in URLs, I think that linking is more difficult because of the difference in page setups (i.e. 15 posts per page, 40, etc.).

    Just looking at a reported post and clicked on the link, and it didn't show anything up.
    I believe that's controlled by vBulletin SEO: The vBSEO Solution and not a lot we can do to change that.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Individual posts don't have page numbers in their urls afaik.
    No they don't. Actually thinking about this I'm rather mystified by the whole thing.

  7. #7
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    Haven't page numbers always been in URLs?
    think now the name of the thread also come on the link which was not there before
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    No, it wasn't, but there used to be a thread number or a post number. Now it seems there's a combination of both with the thread name. ITSTL.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I believe that's controlled by vBulletin SEO: The vBSEO Solution and not a lot we can do to change that.
    If this is the case, we're going to have a good deal of considerable problems. It's now, basically, impossible for someone with one posts-per-page setting to give (via whatever means) a link to a post to someone with different posts-per-page settings. The page-number overrides the post number.

    Just for clarification: under the old URL settings, there was either one or the other - the URL either had thread ID number and page number in it or it had post ID number. Now it has thread ID name and number, page number, and post. And as I say, the page number overrides the post number. So no-one's going to be able to give links to anyone who does not have the same posts-per-page setting as them.

  10. #10
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's now, basically, impossible for someone with one posts-per-page setting to give (via whatever means) a link to a post to someone with different posts-per-page settings. The page-number overrides the post number.
    IMO, you're an idiot.

    The way that you're talking about has always happened, before the forum re-structure.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,831
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    The way that you're talking about has always happened, before the forum re-structure.
    That's correct, and as above, you can link to individual posts should that be required.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    I use the view as part of thread style post view, have never, ever used the view-single-post one. So thus haven't thought to check. The problem lies there, not in the view-single-post URL.
    The way that you're talking about has always happened, before the forum re-structure.
    No it hasn't, it's just likely you never noticed because you've always used the view-post-in-isolation thing rather than view-as-part-of-thread.

  13. #13
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No it hasn't, it's just likely you never noticed because you've always used the view-post-in-isolation thing rather than view-as-part-of-thread.
    Yes it has. It's the reason I use it, because Borcich et al. kept linking me the way you're talking about to posts in the TF on MSN and it would take me to a random page because of my 40ppp.

    You're wrong.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Actually I'm not - the old URL for posts was:
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?p=<number>#post<number>
    There is no mention whatsoever of thread ID or thread page.

    However, there is on the old method of thread ID:
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=<number>&p=<number>

    I deliberately used to use the post-number-ID method rather than the thread-and-page-number-ID one because of the fact that it worked for those with all posts-per-page, and tried it many times with many different people, all of whom got exactly the post I was aiming to show them.
    Last edited by Richard; 12-05-2009 at 01:08 PM.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I use the view as part of thread style post view, have never, ever used the view-single-post one. So thus haven't thought to check. The problem lies there, not in the view-single-post URL.
    Start using it, then. It's not that hard. If you click on the thread: page numbers in url link you even get the context in your own preferred posts-per-page view.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Kallis Vs Sobers
    By Precambrian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 889
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •