• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Page Numbers In URL

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Because of the page numbers in URLs, I think that linking is more difficult because of the difference in page setups (i.e. 15 posts per page, 40, etc.).

Just looking at a reported post and clicked on the link, and it didn't show anything up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it wasn't, but there used to be a thread number or a post number. Now it seems there's a combination of both with the thread name. ITSTL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I believe that's controlled by vBulletin SEO: The vBSEO Solution and not a lot we can do to change that.
If this is the case, we're going to have a good deal of considerable problems. It's now, basically, impossible for someone with one posts-per-page setting to give (via whatever means) a link to a post to someone with different posts-per-page settings. The page-number overrides the post number.

Just for clarification: under the old URL settings, there was either one or the other - the URL either had thread ID number and page number in it or it had post ID number. Now it has thread ID name and number, page number, and post. And as I say, the page number overrides the post number. So no-one's going to be able to give links to anyone who does not have the same posts-per-page setting as them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I use the view as part of thread style post view, have never, ever used the view-single-post one. So thus haven't thought to check. The problem lies there, not in the view-single-post URL.
The way that you're talking about has always happened, before the forum re-structure.
No it hasn't, it's just likely you never noticed because you've always used the view-post-in-isolation thing rather than view-as-part-of-thread.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
No it hasn't, it's just likely you never noticed because you've always used the view-post-in-isolation thing rather than view-as-part-of-thread.
Yes it has. It's the reason I use it, because Borcich et al. kept linking me the way you're talking about to posts in the TF on MSN and it would take me to a random page because of my 40ppp.

You're wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually I'm not - the old URL for posts was:
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?p=<number>#post<number>
There is no mention whatsoever of thread ID or thread page.

However, there is on the old method of thread ID:
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=<number>&p=<number>

I deliberately used to use the post-number-ID method rather than the thread-and-page-number-ID one because of the fact that it worked for those with all posts-per-page, and tried it many times with many different people, all of whom got exactly the post I was aiming to show them.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I use the view as part of thread style post view, have never, ever used the view-single-post one. So thus haven't thought to check. The problem lies there, not in the view-single-post URL.
Start using it, then. It's not that hard. If you click on the thread: page numbers in url link you even get the context in your own preferred posts-per-page view.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I fully intend to do just that - it seems there is no alternative.
Glad to hear it. It works. Where's the ****ing problem.

I'll try to explain it better....

see here...

in the upper right corner there's a link to this thread, entitled "page numbers in url" right? When I click on it, I get up the first page with 15 posts. Presumably, when you click on it, you'll get a first page with 17 posts (as of now), so you can get the context, too, which, I'll admit, is usually useful when reading a post.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Glad to hear it. It works. Where's the ****ing problem.
:huh: Strong stuff, no? There's no ****ing problem, said problem has been solved.
I'll try to explain it better....

see here...

in the upper right corner there's a link to this thread, entitled "page numbers in url" right? When I click on it, I get up the first page with 15 posts. Presumably, when you click on it, you'll get a first page with 17 posts (as of now), so you can get the context, too, which, I'll admit, is usually useful when reading a post.
That has indeed always been there and is one way to get the URL I always traditionally used to post (the other is to click the "permalink" thingy which has only come into existence with the advent of this latest version of vBulletin). However, the point is it's only available on demand - it's not being force-fed to the reader. It's always been available, and used to be possible to make it available and make it, so to speak, there. The difference is relatively minimal and I'm trying to make it obvious I'm not making any big fuss about it, but that's what I'm on about.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

It has. Have been linked numerous times via msn but been taken to the wrong page because of ppp differences (before the forums re-structure).