Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Ask the spider

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358

    Ask the spider

    Of late quite a few errors have crept into the answers.

    I checked two Ask the Spider Questions, in #45 and #47, and found them to be incorrect.

    1. Who was the bowler to take wicket of his last ball in tests? (#45)
    The answer ignored McGrath.

    2. Who played most number of tests before he became captain?
    Answered incorrectly as Steve Waugh (111 tests) when it is actually Anil Kumble (118).

    Not nitpicking, but just a friendly suggestion to improve the quality of a superb website.

  2. #2
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,008
    one doubt is the cricketweb best viewed in IE only

    because in my FF if i take the Stat spider main page all the flags of the countries are shown under the menu bar on the Right side ..in IE its coming ok
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Of late quite a few errors have crept into the answers.

    I checked two Ask the Spider Questions, in #45 and #47, and found them to be incorrect.

    1. Who was the bowler to take wicket of his last ball in tests? (#45)
    The answer ignored McGrath.

    2. Who played most number of tests before he became captain?
    Answered incorrectly as Steve Waugh (111 tests) when it is actually Anil Kumble (118).

    Not nitpicking, but just a friendly suggestion to improve the quality of a superb website.
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    one doubt is the cricketweb best viewed in IE only

    because in my FF if i take the Stat spider main page all the flags of the countries are shown under the menu bar on the Right side ..in IE its coming ok
    Works fine in Fire Fox for me. Can you screen-print what you're seeing?

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,068
    Yeah, a quick look at the comments shows most are about noticing errors (sometimes incorrectly but mostly pointing out real erors)

    An example of one is,

    "Q: Who waited longest in terms of matches to score a century?

    A: Depending on whether you mean the longest wait from debut to maiden century or the most consecutive games between centuries, the answer is Shaun Pollock (whose first came in his 51st game - and he almost immediately scored another) or Adam Parore, who played 56 games between his two Test centuries. "

    Well, as stated, Jason Gillespie didnt score a ton until his 71st Test so you would expect his inclusion.

    Who are the team? Is it he same guys as before? Is there a fact checking system?

    I think its a great idea and has been done well, but to be acclaimed as expert then all the questions need to be answered correctly. Too many slips leads to a credibility issue.
    Last edited by Goughy; 19-01-2009 at 02:51 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net


  5. #5
    International Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,536
    I have never had a major problem with Chrome.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Yeah, a quick look at the comments shows most are about noticing errors (sometimes incorrectly but mostly pointing out real erors)

    An example of one is,

    "Q: Who waited longest in terms of matches to score a century?

    A: Depending on whether you mean the longest wait from debut to maiden century or the most consecutive games between centuries, the answer is Shaun Pollock (whose first came in his 51st game - and he almost immediately scored another) or Adam Parore, who played 56 games between his two Test centuries. "

    Well, as stated, Jason Gillespie didnt score a ton until his 71st Test so you would expect his inclusion.
    Not to mention Anil Kumble... 17 years and 118 matches.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,821
    This weeks has just been posted.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    This weeks has just been posted.
    Re: The SCG answer this week:

    There are places where the cricket dimensions are listed. The cricinfo SCG page is one place. It is listed as 156 x 154 m.

    Ive seen others list it as 159 x 155 m as well.

  9. #9
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,008
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

    Works fine in Fire Fox for me. Can you screen-print what you're seeing?

    At your service ..... pls find the attachment


    and found one more thing in the stat page of india it says kirmani has the most catches for india when dravid has 20 more catches than kirmani
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,821
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    At your service ..... pls find the attachment


    and found one more thing in the stat page of india it says kirmani has the most catches for india when dravid has 20 more catches than kirmani
    Thanks for the screen-print.

    What version of Firefox are you using? I'm using 3.0.5 and it's displaying ok.

  11. #11
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,008
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Thanks for the screen-print.

    What version of Firefox are you using? I'm using 3.0.5 and it's displaying ok.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20081029 Firefox/2.0.0.18

    is it older one ???

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20081029 Firefox/2.0.0.18

    is it older one ???
    Yes.

    This is the latest version

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.4

    You can update it by pressing "Check for Updates" in Help

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,821
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20081029 Firefox/2.0.0.18

    is it older one ???
    You're using a way old version of Firefox. Firefox 2.0 was released in 2006.

    As Precambrian said, I would suggest you upgrade your browser.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •