• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Automerging post feature

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whilst on another V Bulletin run forum I came across this feature and thought it might be of some use on CW. After posting in a thread I returned to it a few hours later, in which time no-one else had replied, and when I made a new post it was automatically merged my previous one with the message "after X hours and Y minutes Brumby added"

I just wondered about the possibility of this being trialled on CW as some of our more prolific posters can easily rattle off half a dozen uninterrupted posts. Think it would keep things tidier if these were merged into one.

Thoughts? :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If people wanted to lump a load of posts into one, thus making it harder for those they were replies to to reply and increasing substantially the chance of one massive post not even being glanced at, I imagine they'd post loads of things that'd be best in 3 or 4 posts in 1.

I imagine most people remember the reaction when Towns merged consecutive posts? Admittedly that might've been different if it was, say, McNamara doing the merging. Equally, the fact that the likes of McNamara have never bothered doing such a thing, and that Towns stopped doing so once a few people got uptight about it, suggests it's not the greatest of ideas.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Guessing that's a "no" from Dick, then.

Should've been clearer: thoughts from anyone who isn't Richard?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I dislike it when I see it on other forums, but that might just be because it looks odd to me, as it's not on CW...

James

Cricket Web Owner
Not a great fan of it myself personally, but like yourself Brumby would be interested in seeing what others think.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Woops, sorry about that Heath. That thread obviously completely slipped my mind. I've responded now.

Jakester1288

International Regular
It should be under a time period of say, 3 hours, cause I don't like it otherwise.

I like to read updates in separate posts as well.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Maybe if it's in the space of a few minutes. Merging posts that are say 15 minutes apart would be a little extreme IMO. People could easily missed amended posts and wouldn't really help the flow of a discussion.

biased indian

International Coach
one doubt :
if somebody had posted a new post then the threadt will show in the front page as bolded rite,if i have allready viewd that post and then the same person post a new thing which has no relation to the earlier post will it be bolded or will remina as if i have already viewd it means not bolded ??

i always post different women in different post in hottest women thread if they are mixed wont look nice :)

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
Maybe if it's in the space of a few minutes. Merging posts that are say 15 minutes apart would be a little extreme IMO. People could easily missed amended posts and wouldn't really help the flow of a discussion.
It updates the post time and treats the whole thing as a new post. It's inbuilt in vbulletin 3.7.x but CW is still running 3.6.x.

cpr

International Coach
Give the traitor 7....

But nah, if no one else has posted i'll tend to edit it into my last post, unless i'm making a completely seperate point, then it deserves its own post.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems a good idea to me, very irritating to see 7-8 posts in a row to one poster, hogs the thread pointlessly for me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I find it quite annoying at PC, must say.

I can see the merits of it, but I think it's a judgement call as sometimes it does seem appropriate for things to be separate posts. Like in the match threads and stuff, but that being said there are times when I make posts because QR is quicker than editing, I know that this is a shocking confession and I am a terrible person, but there you go, in those cases it would be good and proper for the system to merge my posts into one.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ha, it was on a politically correct site I noticed the feature, actually. If you catch my drift. :ph34r:
Maybe it's the hangover, I dunno, am I the only one not catching Brumby's drift here? :unsure:

edit, ooh made two posts in a row there, quite ironic really :ph34r: