• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Suggestion

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, there is no on-topicing to stay on a topic that's been discussed to tears.
I still get them confused, because I am lazy and a 'tard. But they're both incredibly meh musicians.
Bastard. Bryan Adams' early stuff was gun as IMO.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally think they should be brought back. If you get spammed - ignore it. It is no different to when people make threads on the main board about a pair of Nike shoes.

As someone who at times needs to send private messages and doesn't feel comfortable with giving out my personal e-mail (which I believe was used as a justification for getting rid of them), it makes things difficult.

I don't see any reason for not bringing them back which can't be avoided by those who don't want to use them not using them.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I personally think they should be brought back. If you get spammed - ignore it. It is no different to when people make threads on the main board about a pair of Nike shoes.

As someone who at times needs to send private messages and doesn't feel comfortable with giving out my personal e-mail (which I believe was used as a justification for getting rid of them), it makes things difficult.

I don't see any reason for not bringing them back which can't be avoided by those who don't want to use them not using them.
It really depends on the format and available options. On ubb InfoPop boards you can select whether you want to receives messages at all and also select individuals that you don't want to receive them from.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

You don't have to give-out your principal em@il, you could quite easily create a new account (for example, use CricketMail: SB_I@cricketmail.net or similar) if you really wanted to speak privately with CW members.

IMO, if you're not willing to use em@il\MSN, you've no right complaining about not being able to speak privately. It's really not that much effort to make.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
That still doesn't really give a reason not to have PMs, though. I don't think I understand why they were removed outside of people 'taking advantage' of it.

And I have every right to complain because I don't want to give out my personal account to people I don't know, or create an account which would serve the exact same purpose as PM system which the board is capable of with exactly the same pros and cons.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That still doesn't really give a reason not to have PMs, though. I don't think I understand why they were removed outside of people 'taking advantage' of it.

And I have every right to complain because I don't want to give out my personal account to people I don't know, or create an account which would serve the exact same purpose as PM system which the board is capable of with exactly the same pros and cons.
It wouldn't have the same cons though. It'd have the pros without the cons.

I'm no expert on exactly why the PM system was disabled but rest assured, I am an expert on the number of times new posters have asked about it. They've been disabled since mid-2003 now and that's long enough, with enough questions about why, for them never to be brought back for my money.

As I say, there's an easy solution which, rather than requiring action-taking from people who (rest assured, I know) have hundreds of better things to do than fuss about trifles like PMs, requires a miniscule amount of effort from yourself. Creating a CricketMail (or any other web-based) em@il account takes about a minute and the amount of effort involved is roughly zero.

cpr

International Coach
Setting up a cricketweb email would work. Then i'd have to ask any member i wanted to 'PM' for their email address, then i'd have to keep checking a seperate webpage when i'm clicking through CW constantly so would show me when i had a message. So its not zero effort, its more. And many dont like using MSN because its not selective, you're available to everyone, and if you only want to speak to one or two people, it doesnt stop 60 others sending 'Hi' 'anyone there' 'ignoring me?' ad nauseum, no matter what you set your status to.

Have to say i'm in the PM camp personally, can just delete the ***** that might come in

Jakester1288

International Regular
I reckon bring in the option of PM's, cause then you can disable them, and keep them to mods, admins, contacts only.

Very handy system as well.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Setting up a cricketweb email would work. Then i'd have to ask any member i wanted to 'PM' for their email address, then i'd have to keep checking a seperate webpage when i'm clicking through CW constantly so would show me when i had a message. So its not zero effort, its more. And many dont like using MSN because its not selective, you're available to everyone, and if you only want to speak to one or two people, it doesnt stop 60 others sending 'Hi' 'anyone there' 'ignoring me?' ad nauseum, no matter what you set your status to.

Have to say i'm in the PM camp personally, can just delete the ***** that might come in
Appear offline, imo