• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Signature sizes

Should there be a maximum signature size?

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
The moderation team would like to know what posters think about the sizes of certain signatures and whether you guys think they should be capped to a certain size or not. A decision may be made as a result of the poll and the general consensus of the thread.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't like the big ones myself.
I have turned them off though, so I'm not that bothered.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Biggest trouble is quotes in sigs - the damn things have so much unneccessary space between them. I'm aware I've two in mine, and what I want to know is: why can't consecutive quotes be closer together (this is a general point on actual posts, rather than sigs)?

Of course, there's been several recent instances of XIs being displayed in sigs - massive problems have resulted here when posters, instead of listing
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven
have listed
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten

That should be modified immediately it happens IMO.

If there's no quotes involved, sigs can go up to 15 lines and never even be close to being too long. Nothing short of ridiculous to suggest that 5 lines should be the max IMO I'm afraid. If it bothers you that much you should switch them off.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That said, the shorter the better obviously and I'm always in favour of posters making the most of a line, rather than having a couple of words, then a return-key, then another couple of words. Examples being my sig and the "funniest post" continuum.

cpr

International Coach
Voted 5, as tbh, 10 sounds too many. Know other forums use number of characters to limit sig sizes.

Dont think quotes as such should be in the sig, not in the quote box form anyway. Like in Gelmans sig, stick a quote in "'s and add the name before or after if you want, can be done for quotes from on here aswell.

Eg, Rich's sig, would look better IMO if it was

Fraz: "Arshad's are a long gone stories"
chris.hinton : "h"

Dont like colour, dont like boxes, nice n simple IMO

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Colour is essential - it's part of the T2IBS. No-one will EVER be taking that away from us. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Colour is essential - it's part of the T2IBS. No-one will EVER be taking that away from us. :)
Not trying to argue for the sake of it, but why is it essential?

Think 5 lines is enough, personally. Brevity is the father of wit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Another thing - is there any way to get rid of the 1000-character limit, or is it vBulletin standard?

Right now, the 1000 character limit actually impedes me when I've tested-out shortening my sig - I had to do all sorts of stuff to make it fit with BB-code make-up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Testing now:
RD
Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird.........................Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
(Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Post to sign-up.
chris.hinton: h
FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006
Certainly works well, and I don't really like my sig TOO long. Seriously, though - I reiterate, anyone perporting the above is too long is ridiculous IMO and should be told simply to turn sigs off if they don't like it.

cpr

International Coach
Testing now

At first, all i'd have said is get rid of the box around the quotes and it'll be fine, but reflecting, think the box needs to stay on a sig as busy as that (not long, just a lot of different things in there).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really care as I have signatures turned off, but I find the whole idea of signatures a bit silly really.