• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PM's disabled

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, or if it's been discussed before, but I've been wondering for some time why Private Messaging has been disabled?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some people just used the feature to stalk the female members here.

NB. The above statement may or may not be true and the names of people have been changed to protect the innocent and the possibly, though not necessarily guilty.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Users from other sites were spamming members here, was about four years ago but we have survived without them...

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, would be nice to have them, but the same thing will probably happen again, so probably not worth the hassle.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Should publish a directory of the female members on here to go with enabling PMs. One is useless without the other, I feel. :ph34r:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Yeh i don't see the point in PM's anymore. Most of the people use MSN anyway if they want to communicate, if you don't use it and want to communicate to one of the gun members then freaking get a msn account.

Kovas

Cricket Spectator
PMs are necessary to be honest. Disabling them due to "foreigners" trying to recruit for their forum is silly. A lot of people prefer them over MSN, because they are internal and not everyone likes to give out their email. How else do Moderators contact members with emails disabled without making it a public matter in a thread?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
How else do Moderators contact members with emails disabled without making it a public matter in a thread?
By emailing them directly, seeing as a couple of the CW admin would have access to everyone's emails?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeh i don't see the point in PM's anymore. Most of the people use MSN anyway if they want to communicate, if you don't use it and want to communicate to one of the gun members then freaking get a msn account.
AWTA, very strongly.
PMs are necessary to be honest. Disabling them due to "foreigners" trying to recruit for their forum is silly. A lot of people prefer them over MSN, because they are internal and not everyone likes to give out their email.
If someone makes the choice not to give out their email, they forfeit the right to private conversation. I don't see anything wrong with that, personally. There's quite a few members on CW who don't want to give their email out and seem perfectly happy that the forum is their only method of communication with other CWers.

Tom (Spitfires_Fan) my MSN is RJED2@AOL.com, pretty much any CWer is welcome. :) And I've got 85 members on there currently, so should be able to give you a decent start if there's someone you want to add. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some people just used the feature to stalk the female members here.

NB. The above statement may or may not be true and the names of people have been changed to protect the innocent and the possibly, though not necessarily guilty.
Interestingly, the disabling of PMs was an action taken before every single one of the current female members (possibly bar 1) had joined the site.

BTW, just occurred to me - that's something I've never asked. What was the date of the disabling?