• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PM's disabled

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Just make it so members with 500 or 1000 posts minimum can use the PM system. Thus you get rid of spam

PY

International Coach
Me neither, got something to say, say it so everyone can see it.

Maybe why this forum is better than others?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, not much point with them on here IMO. If we were to have the "X post minimum" thing there will be no point in them PMing by that point. As by 500/1000/whatever posts a member will have probably got a few veteran CWers' emails. Thus rendering their PM privileges useless.

And that's the end of that chapter.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, CW is the best forum on the web (that I've been to), it's why I've stuck around for 2 1/2 years and others much, much longer, PMs would potentially make it fall into the pack

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeah agreed, PMs would be a total waste of time, and be detrimental to forum atmosphere and content, don't understand why people dont just use msn tbh.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What I meant was that that's a reason why PM's come in handy. I know it's not the forums problem.

_Ed_

Can't be bothered reading all the way through, has someone already made a joke about a mentally deficient Prime Minister?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure why there is so much averseness to PMs anyway.
For the reasons already stated - most people can use MSN to do what PMs would. If you refuse to, that's your problem. And if you're disallowed from doing so it's pretty likely that you're the sort of person no-one has any desire to converse with anyway.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Agree with that part but I still don't quite understand why PM's have to stay disabled. GMs or James can use them to let certain members know if they're getting out of line instead of humiliating them in public. I remember one member getting banned for 7 for reacting the way he did when a GM told him to get his act straight on a thread. The problem could've been resolved in a much better way using PMs. MSN isn't always as effective for such things unless you know the member well, of course I'm only speaking from a year and a half of experience as a mod.

Anyway, if I were James that would be the biggest reason I'd want them enabled. Besides, they're not that hard to moderate at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
GMs being able to send them on a one-way basis indeed isn't a bad idea at all IMO, but it's purely the populace at large that I (and it seems a great deal others) are against having the ability to use them.

Of course, plenty of Mods at this place email members, especially long-standing and relatively well-respected ones, when there's an issue of some sort.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Annoyed now with PMs not being enabled..

Going to raid his house, find his computer, and check that box.. And then leave through the front door having stolen a few tinnies for the journey home..

morgieb

For the reasons already stated - most people can use MSN to do what PMs would. If you refuse to, that's your problem. And if you're disallowed from doing so it's pretty likely that you're the sort of person no-one has any desire to converse with anyway.
What about for advertising (not spam) or warnings?