• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb in WCM!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Saw at the bottom of page 71 in this months Wisden Cricket monthly that we have been given a really good review...Hopefully this will attract people to the forum

"The prose is far more than workmanlike" etc etc.. loads of good comments...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Full Review:

Lawrence Booth's Website of the Month:

WWW.cricketweb.net

FOR EVERY Australia there is a Kenya. And for every Cricinfo there is a Cricket Web: unfancied, but energetic; small but well-formed; tucked away but with some real gems. Cricket Web sprang to life in October 2001, when it concentrated on news from Australia and New Zealand, but since then it has broadened its horizons and last September underwent a re-design that resulted in a handful of awards. The look is functional rather than flashy but some of the prose is far more than workmanlike. Teams' performances at the World Cup are analysed cogently and sometimes surprisingly ("England come out of it with a lot of credit"), and the mini-features contain some fascinating snippets: the piece on Craig McMillan's diabetes is crying out for expansion. Interactivity is everywhere. One poll reveals that the users' favorite World Cup is 1992 (30%) and their least favorite is 1987 (0.93%). Another page acts as an online interview: if you can persuade the burgeoning Cricket Web team that you're up to scratch, you could be writing for them too. One gripe, the Test ratings, which imaginatively rank teams both at home and away, was over a year out of date at the time of writing. Everything else, though, is up to date - and on the mark.

Rich2001

International Captain
Rik said:
One gripe, the Test ratings, which imaginatively rank teams both at home and away, was over a year out of date at the time of writing. Everything else, though, is up to date - and on the mark. [/B]
Is that just a typo by James in saying 2002 rather than 2003?

Because if not iam shocked that it was a year and 3 months ago that Neil did that!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
:!( Demand an apology Neil! :!(

I suggest someone writes a letter to them to clarify this point.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yeah, must have been a typo by me as Neil updated the ratings in January 03 I remember. I'll fix that up tonight. I'll write an email to Wisden letting them know that...

Great review :)

Cloete

International Captain
WOW!:wow: ! this is gr8 news for our beloved CW!!!! actually in the last 2 days there have been 4 or so new members:O :O

James

Cricket Web Owner
Rik said:
May and it has Ponting holding the World Cup on the front.
Thanks very much Rik :)

Magazine arrives in New Zealand next Wednesday so will definately get myself a copy :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
One gripe, the Test ratings, which imaginatively rank teams both at home and away, was over a year out of date at the time of writing. Everything else, though, is up to date - and on the mark.
I was under the impression that those rankings were up to date as at the end of the Ashes series!

And AFAIK, no Tests have been played since then...

There's WI v Aus, Ban v SA and SL v NZ in progress from this week, and I'll update them after every series concludes, but the buggers are bang up-to-date.

*Sizzles with rage*

I hope that once WCM realise their error, they'll do some furthering of the rankings, and get rid of the bloody awful ICCTC system!

Attachments

James

Cricket Web Owner
They were up to date Neil but on that page we had January 6 2002 and not January 6 2003.

I fixed that up and emailed Wisden saying what happened with it. I'll let everyone know if they respond.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yeah, hope so, with the site getting a good spot in the magazine it can only benefit us in a good way :)