• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Ads

James

Cricket Web Owner
That removes ads obviously, but if you want to support CW and help us pay for our costs, try to leave ads on. Remember we're \a non for profit website and we do our best to keep everything free and improve the site with our limited resources.

With the Aussie dollar having dropped over 20 cents against the US dollar the past couple of months, it affects us even more now.

biased indian

International Coach
That removes ads obviously, but if you want to support CW and help us pay for our costs, try to leave ads on. Remember we're \a non for profit website and we do our best to keep everything free and improve the site with our limited resources.

With the Aussie dollar having dropped over 20 cents against the US dollar the past couple of months, it affects us even more now.
does it help more if we click on the ad ???

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Does the Ads By Google stuff seriously detect the number of CW users who're using ad-block software? :blink:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think it would necessarily detect the software in as much as the ad simply hasn't been seen - the same as if an ad appears on page two on a search engine but the user does not go to page 2

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, the point I was making is that the number of times an ad is displayed on every screen could be detected. I'm truly flabbergasted if there's something that can do this.

I thought ads were paid for the ad-hoster (be it TV station, website, newspaper or whatever) to do all they can to display it. I'm aware of no piece of equipment to detect every time the channel is changed away from an ad-break on TV, every time someone skips the ad section in a newspaper (these are generally used by people who are actually looking for ads anyway), nor every time someone doesn't even glance at an ad on a website.

I don't see how anyone could detect how many hits (in terms of views not clicks-on) an ad has.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Impressions are ewasily recognised. If impressions didn't register, then advertisers would have no reasonable info regarding the performance of their campaigns. The reason advertisers love internet advertising is precisely because all of those things that happen with other types of advertising (people going the toilet in the breaks, not looking at ads in the paper) can be avoided. And the fact that they are usually charged per click rather than impression.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
O I C.

Guess I must be helpful then as I click on ads by accident about 3 or 4 times a day. :laugh:

biased indian

International Coach
O I C.

Guess I must be helpful then as I click on ads by accident about 3 or 4 times a day. :laugh:
that was what i was thinking...

but may be they will be tracking whether you are staying back for too long...

i think if we click an ad that link will carry the name cricketweb along with it to the new site that is coming you can check it for yourself...cant do that my self because my office proxy any way block Google ads :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The advertisers still pay for the click even if you hit back straight away, however if they notice that it is happening over and over again from the same IPs then they would normally consider it to be malicious clicking

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, the ad opens in a new window, so I double-click top-left rather than pressing back.

Wonder if that makes any difference.