• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarification of what constitutes spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery

Banned
I'm getting a bit pissed off with a couple of people constantly accusing me and others of spamming as soon as anyone goes off topic in any way. Please explain to me why it is considered "spamming" to have a laugh with someone, all you fun police?

James

Cricket Web Owner
It's not considered "a laugh" when you take a topic that was originally created to discuss Subject A, and someone heads in there and starts up some random chat about something not in anyway related.

Other members don't want to have to go through post after post of complete un-related rubbish to actually find what others are discussing about the topic at hand.

There's a huge difference between a Forum and a Chat program, i.e. MSN and you'll find that general chatting MSN style is not allowed on any forum.

The forum rules are also very clear on this:

forum rules said:
No spamming - Spamming is characterized by the initiation of threads or posts that contribute nothing to a forum, be it off topic or on topic. Examples include: empty bodies, bodies with few words that have no relation to the current thread or discussion and those posts that state they are spam, either to annoy or increase a member's post count. This determination is made by the forum Moderator or Administrator and is not up for discussion.

Stay on topic - So many threads go way off track when people decide just to start chatting about nothing. If you want to have a chat session, get mIRC or AIM, or MSN.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
It's not considered "a laugh" when you take a topic that was originally created to discuss Subject A, and someone heads in there and starts up some random chat about something not in anyway related.

Other members don't want to have to go through post after post of complete un-related rubbish to actually find what others are discussing about the topic at hand.

There's a huge difference between a Forum and a Chat program, i.e. MSN and you'll find that general chatting MSN style is not allowed on any forum.

The forum rules are also very clear on this:
All sounds a bit 1984 to me tbh

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's you that I'm complaining about the most in this thread Perm.
I do realise that Fiery, and I realise that I have been one of the main 'fun police' that you described in your opening post. Thing is, people don't want to read 10-20 messages between you, Phlegm and Athlai just talking rubbish.

Flem274*

123/5
Stupid
Pointless
Annoying

I accept that we have in the past spammed often and Fiery, Athlai and I need to pull our heads in however I have noticed that if we post absolutely anything even slightly unrelated to the topic for one or two posts or even if we discuss a previous post e.g. my rant in what grinds my gears about people slagging off motorsport then certain people jump like bunny rabbits screaming "Ban these ****s they're just ****ing spamming ****s **** **** *******************************************" Then in another thread they go away and have their own little conversation. Sure, if we've posted stuff completely unrelated to the topic yell all you want but if its a discussion about a particular post then go and be nazis to someone else FFS.

And Perm can you stop being such a "I'm so holy and I know everything" **** please? I've noticed you've been like that for a while now and you did get banned for it too. You work on that flaw and I'll work on my flaws. Cheers.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I posted this in a thread in Cricket Chat, but I'll repost it here - why don't you guys use the Testing Forum for chat? That way, it's a lot easier for people to avoid and, by the same token, you won't get people going off at you for taking threads off topic?

Fiery

Banned
I posted this in a thread in Cricket Chat, but I'll repost it here - why don't you guys use the Testing Forum for chat? That way, it's a lot easier for people to avoid and, by the same token, you won't get people going off at you for taking threads off topic?
Well what was wrong with the General Kiwi Chat thread that got shutdown?

Perm

And Perm can you stop being such a "I'm so holy and I know everything" **** please? I've noticed you've been like that for a while now and you did get banned for it too. You work on that flaw and I'll work on my flaws. Cheers.
It's not really my 'fault' that I don't spam and that I get fed up when others do it, constantly, despite being told numerous times.

Perm

Well what was wrong with the General Kiwi Chat thread that got shutdown?
Because, IMO, you shouldn't need a thread specifically to chat about nothing. James made a good point, that's what Instant Messengers are for.

Fiery

Banned
Because, IMO, you shouldn't need a thread specifically to chat about nothing. James made a good point, that's what Instant Messengers are for.
I installed it a couple of weeks ago. It's good. Some people aren't on it though, e.g, Flem

Status
Not open for further replies.