• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many temporary bans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing with what he said is that taken at face value it's a racist slur and yeah ban him no holds barred, but given the thread and Steds' nature i have my doubts as it that being the case.

andyc

Wait, did Steds seriously get banned for that joke? For one, it was kinda funny, and he didn't even get a warning for it. What the hell?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Just to stop any confusion, yes it was a seven day for Perm which has now expired.

cpr

International Coach
Tbf, yeah harsh on Steds, but really, think before you post, it was obviously gonna rub up a few backs that one, and he's not exactly dumb, needn't have posted it. Its one of them jokes you text to your mates, but only the ones you know will see the funny side, so really, a public, family forum isnt the place for it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't think the gag was funny and borderline offensive, but think a warning rather than a ban would've been more appropriate, given steds previous good character. Seems v harsh. :mellow:

I think if he was a raving racist he'd have shown his colours by now.

cpr

International Coach
aye, that i agree with, but still, given he's not exactly dumb, he should've known its a post thats just begging for 7. Considering just how offensive it could be to some people, and we way beyond the 'tut, how disgusting' level of offense here, he really shouldnt have posted it.

Steds aint exactly new to the place, he knows the rules, and knows what constitutes a ban or not, so dont think he cant complain. It's like if Gary Lineker went studs up in on someones knee in a game, he'd have got a straight red, regardless of the fact he'd never been booked in his career, he'd still have got punished for the stupidness and carelessness of his actions.

Mebbie deleting the post and warning him would've been better, but too late now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Having just read said gag, I'm truly astonished, for a number of reasons. I can't be expected to be completely unbiased here as Bennett is generally someone I consider quite a good friend.

But a few things to consider...

1, Bennett's record isn't "clean" as such. We all know him to be someone who'd, really, never do any harm to anyone, he's one of the least malicious people on here. But he has "previous", as it were, in disagreement with Mods. He was once told "you're getting seriously close to banning territory here".

2, I know beyond a doubt that James is hugely keen - and very rightly so IMO - to take a very hard line against ANYTHING, any gag, which is seen to be disparaging towards Islam. There's far, far too much of it out there from people both a) idiots who don't have the foggiest understanding of the religion and b) people who don't engage brain before gagging. Bennett knows this, and should have thought before posting. I presume he'll read this, and if you do, Stedsos, I'm well aware that I'm guilty of this often enough too, so it might sound a bit, shall we say, Rich, me saying that.

3, There has actually been a previous case none too dissimilar to this involving a Staff Member who received censure (though not in the form of a 7-day ban) for making gags that were dangerously easy to be interpreted as being disparaging about Islam. It's particularly essential that Staff Members aren't seen to be endorsing the stupidity that so many engage in (mostly out of the public eye).

All this said, there's no way on Earth I'd have 7-dayed him. Why? Because I know full well that people - worthy souls in every way - can be a bit stupid with their posts sometimes. Equally, look at the thread title - it specifically states that the gag is a lame one. And I know people who I know IRL and think very highly of who'd not hesitate to make that gag. Heck, I'd probably laugh, much as I deplored the fact that there was any sense of Islamic-mocking. Why? For no other reason that the gag was made by a friend of mine. If it'd been someone in the street who I'd never seen before, I'd seriously consider punching them.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I know myself and Pratyush have made cracks in this manner before and didn't even cop a warning. Why the double standard? I think we're getting into over analyzing James' move. It was a cautious one, and while I don't agree with it, I can see why he did it.

Of course this would have been much easier for James' if he had a Muslim moderator. :p

HeathDavisSpeed

Can I ask why gags against Islam are unacceptible whilst gags about any other religion or ethnicity are deemed okay? Has the nanny state invaded CricketWeb? Is Sue Bradfield (sic. or maybe :sick:) going to come and arrest me every time I verbally bitch-slap one of you guys?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Yeah I am one. Fus would make a great mod IMO. Not really suggesting anything though.
Nah, I have no experience whatsoever in being a mod. Also, I'm really not active enough to be of use. If ever James went looking for additional mods though, you would make an excellent candidate. Surprised you haven't applied/accepted to be one on CW already.

Regarding the steds banning, it was a lame joke that deserved a warning, but not a ban IMO. I can understand (and appreciate) James' cautiousness here though. At least he tries to keep the Islam baiting (or any other religion's for that matter) to a minimum. That's admirable IMO. But perhaps he was a bit too cautious this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.