• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Birthdays

What's the best way to say happy birthday to CWers?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As an aside from the ongoing thread where still more serious matters are being discussed, an important issue is raised...
Stop all the bloody birthday threads, pissing me off no end. Just do it all in one big thread ffs.
It's something I've thought myself before now. Would it not be best just to have "The *Official* CW birthday thread" (or similar, if that's too cheesy or obvious for some tastes), as it does get just a bit tiresome to have a new "happy birthday so-and-so" thread more days than not (and it's very unfair, AFAIC, to only have birthday threads for "big" posters - if it's one, it's all IMO). Then we can just post there every day, or every 3 or 4 days, when it's someone's birthday.

And as I said later on - I'd be more than happy to round-up all the birthday threads I can find so as we can merge 'em. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And as I said later on - I'd be more than happy to round-up all the birthday threads I can find so as we can merge 'em. :p
If it does come to that, which is looking likely, it'd be easiest if you just rounded up those birthday threads which didn't have "birthday" in the thread title.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't imagine there's many of them TBH. But I'll do it if it's required, for completeness' sake.

David

International 12th Man
You missed the vital third option on the poll.

No birthday threads whatsoever.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Awta. Makes me feel phony having some obligation to say Happy Birthday to anyone and everyone.

andmark

International Captain
I think there should be one thread. Sometimes I think people just post them for their post count.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have one thread. I'm sure a mod can change the title to suit whomever's birthday it is on the appropriate day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You missed the vital third option on the poll.

No birthday threads whatsoever.
Awta. Makes me feel phony having some obligation to say Happy Birthday to anyone and everyone.
You don't have to. Anyone can say happy birthday, and anyone can not say it. Just because someone else does, doesn't mean you have any obligation to.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh I think its quite nice that you guys create threads for people on their birthday, I believe a whole birthday thread would make the b'day wishes less memorable.

After all its not like you have to reply to each and every person's topic...

pasag

RTDAS
As I said in the other thread, I like them as long as they are only done for active members ie not guys who have left or haven't posted in ages. Not a fan of one big birthday thread tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't mind 'em as such, but clearly usernames are the way to go. I clicked onto "HB Cameron" fully expecting it to be andyc's when it was Burgey. It's not like I'm a newbie either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What does it matter what you first thought? :p I deliberately titled that thread that way knowing it'd "confuse" people, then said "no, not that Cameron" in the first sentence.

If you don't know what someone's name is, it's a fair call that you don't know them well enough for it to be that important for you to say :happybday TBH.

And with regards what Gelman said, dunno if you read it when I mentioned it in the other thread, but when I found this thread (eventually) it was actually quite heartening. It was very nice that people were still saying happy birthday even when I wasn't posting.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont mind either way. Not really one of the forums pressing concerns IMO, but I guess different people have different issues

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It isn't, no, but it's one that can be dealt with so might as well.

I've always been of the mind that the fewer short-'n'-shap threads the better. I should've included a "don't care" option, though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't imagine there's many of them TBH. But I'll do it if it's required, for completeness' sake.
There's one entitled "Fuller Wishes" I think murphy started. It was the precursor to the now infamous Fullerwatch of autumn 06

cpr

International Coach
Think my original statement comes accross harsher than it should (well, i do include enough profanities......). I'm with Gelman/Smith really, only really click into them if its a poster i like and interact with on the forum, other than that i tend to ignore them. However it did seem to me to be 3 or 4 new ones every day at some stages. Can understand where your coming from Richard: Short, personal ones do have more meaning than one big one (which'd go off the rails within about 2 days, plus you'd feel obliged to wish *everyone* happy birthday).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
However it did seem to me to be 3 or 4 new ones every day at some stages.
Well it's never been quite that many - if there's two on the same day I put it in one - but there will be 3 or 4 days going by consecutively where there's a birthday sometimes. And I tend to interact with most people, so hence usually feel like saying happy birthday to most people. :p

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah I'm in the same boat as simone--err pasag. I have no problems with the threads whatsoever, and I don't see why anybody would feel obligated to wish someone a happy birthday either. I think they're quite nice as they can certainly lift the birthday boy/girl's spirits after a bad day like mine was this year.