• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard's domination of threads and wanting to have the last word

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Way to not read the posts above... :(
I actually didn't....hit reply at the end of page 2 (I'm on 40ppp) without realising there was a page 3 then read them

Nonetheless, I stand by the fact that cyber-bullying does occur towards Rich, and obviously I'm not alone in thinking this.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Okay, officially, Richard whether you agree or not with people taking exception to your posting habits it's pretty clear that they do.
In a lot of cases that's their problem though, a lot of supposed "problems" Richard has caused has only been because it's Richard - Beevs picture in the Countdown thread CIP.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If none of us wanted to have the last word on a discussion (and just content with saying our opinions once) there actually wont be any arguments and discussions on this forum so I dont see wanting to have the Last word is a bad thing in anyway.

Secondly I guess many of us have been guilty of this in the past and will be in the future, so it is highly unfair to single out one individual.

if you dont like it, you have two options :-

1. Approach the poster through MSN (if you use it) or email etc and let him know that.

2.Use the ignore feature.

I dont think anything should be done in this regard.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I haven't posted in a while, but how is perm a problem at all? I've never seen him be a problem at all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's reasonable to say Richard has his advocates and his denigrators and both make decent cases. The issue isn't going to be resolved any time soon, so for mine the only fair way around it is for him to be beaten to death with a cricket bat. :ph34r:

A judgement worthy of Soloman I'm sure you agree.

(violence is wrong)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to add that Richard is a fine member in terms of responding to near every opinion given in every thread in the Cricket Chat subforum, he adds to discussion in an invaluable way. Where he has problems in admitting that he is wrong...everyone is wrong once in a while but never have I heard Richard admit it.

On the other hand, he has been nothing but civil to me on the forum and respected my views and so I have no right to complain. The thread was rather harshly started because it is made to hurt one's feelings with all knowing of the pointlessly inevitable back and forth debate which will ensue - I think that . Every member knows the discussion that will ensue in this thread, Richard better than most.

In reference to the first post, Richard is criticised for not moving on but I see no problem in that if he believes he is right and uses statistical evidence, which he does.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's reasonable to say Richard has his advocates and his denigrators and both make decent cases. The issue isn't going to be resolved any time soon, so for mine the only fair way around it is for him to be beaten to death with a cricket bat. :ph34r:

(violence is wrong)
Half of you like him. Half of you dislike him.

Likers, you take this half, talk cricket with it.
Dislikers, you take this half, butcher it.

(I in no way advocate the chopping in half of CWHeads.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly. Nobody has a problem with your post count Richard, you could have 70,000 posts and I could care less. It is, as David said, your persistence of pushing your point across as the only correct one is what bothers people. I have seen you at times desperately looking for an argument with people where there isn't one (cbf looking for an example). That has got to stop, though I'm not sure if I blame you for that or the moderators for not scrutinizing you.
I honestly haven't. That may be the perception you get, and I guess I can sort of understand where you might get it from. I have no desire to engage in "warfare" as such - as I said above, I get thoroughly tired myself of having the same old stuff over and again.

If I push my point accross as being the correct one it's because I believe it is. What is the point believing something unless you think it's correct - and, by default, something which is in opposition to it wrong? Equally, what is the point having a word at all unless you look for the last? Sounds childish maybe, but I often think people get too high-horsish about "having the last word". If you say something, someone says "no, that's wrong", it's kinda natural to respond, and if they respond again, respond once more... etc. This, then, will sometimes lead to a tangent. It's as inevitable as it is unfortunate.
BTW, you haven't noticed my contributions to CC drop because they dropped on your comeback. Harsh, I know, but its the truth.
So you just stopped bothering reading the second I turned-up again last January? Granted I was a bit of an idiot more than once early in my "comeback", but, well... "way to give a guy a chance" comes to mind TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You have full right to ignore some of the people here, but there are others who if you took their advice and concerns on board, as I'm sure you will and as you've done in the past, the forum can be more enjoyable for everyone. I'm sure you want that and I'm sure you hate the fact that some excellent posters have left or posted less because of you, so anything you can do to rectify that should be taken on board.
I'll do my best - as sort of demonstrated by my above post, though, there are some things which, really, are impossible, and would virtually require a personality transplant.

You know, of course, given our conversations last February, that I'm willing to make an effort to listen to the concerns of anyone who is, to me, being reasonable about the thing, and take on board as much as I can.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I try to generally not get involved in CW politics and poster-wars etc. but I'll have a quick say regarding a few things.
I often wish you would, TBH, because you're one of the most reasonable people on here and I sometimes wonder if a few idiots (naming no names :cool:) might be a bit less idiotic if you told them where to get off more.
as people have pointed out, his continuous repeating of his views in threads which are unrelated to the topic can be extremely frustrating. It seems to occur with new(er) posters mainly. It generally just involves me scrolling past it most of the time, and eventually not reading.
Absolutely - I pretty much said this above. The only solution is for me to make a very conscious effort to avoid this. I don't blame anyone in the slightest for scrolling past it, it's exactly what I'd expect.
Another thing which really irks me is the use of member's real names, which Richard does a hell of a lot (I know he's not the only one who does so, but I refer to his large post above, where without the links I wouldn't have a clue who some of those names are). Without even knowing whether this bugs the actual member or not, it can be EXTREMELY confusing when trying to figure out who he is talking about. Not every poster knows the other posters on a personal basis, or has them on MSN, facebook and other social programs off the board, or is even part of CW Simulation. I've been here a long time now, but I often struggle figuring out who Richard and others are referring to when they use their real names. Its fine for Off Topic, since thats all cliquey anyway, but in CC with serious discussion I think its just polite to use their forum name. The only member I ever use their real name for is Liam, because I cannot be arsed/dont know how to spell his forum name.
Can't you spell Mxzyptlk? :p

The links were there for a reason, TBH, and I've made certain to do it ATT whenever I use a name-which-bears-no-resemblence-to-posting-ID - to make sure everyone knows what and who I'm on about. I myself, as I've said before, feel a bit silly calling someone, say, "Prince EWS" when I know them much best as "Rob Cribb" - and even more so when it's something totally random like "The Baconator" or "pasag" (you know the story there of course? Of course you do - even you call him "Gelman" ;)). Yet it's perfectly reasonable that many people wouldn't know who I'm on about, so I make it clear beyond all doubt. I can't see the problem with this - if anything it's better, as it helps newer members get to grips with who's who.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW, I'd also say... sorry for the multiple-posts and broken-down-quotes above... but it's the easiest way to say what I've got to say. And just one more thing...
Hi guys...so, ah...what's been happening?
:laugh: Good to have you back, too. :) May your stay be for good this time.

Fiery

Banned
BTW, I'd also say... sorry for the multiple-posts and broken-down-quotes above... but it's the easiest way to say what I've got to say. And just one more thing...

:laugh: Good to have you back, too. :) May your stay be for good this time.
Thanks Rich :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The thread was rather harshly started because it is made to hurt one's feelings with all knowing of the pointlessly inevitable back and forth debate which will ensue - I think that.
I have had no ulterior motives and stuff. In fact, I like Richard from what I know of him and he seems a very good bloke. Maybe it has lead to some members bashing Richard unnecessarily as Geraintismyhero pointed out. However, it has also lead to posters putting across points which is a good thing the way I see it.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was going to say that TBH, but thought 4 in a row might be a bit too ironic.

Manee - I've no issue with Pratyush and never have had - he's one of several who I tend to think "if he thinks there's a problem, maybe I need to give it some serious thought". My feelings aren't hurt at all, he was thoroughly measured about it and has been in all his replies too.

If you think this thread's opening post is harsh, you should try some of the posts from those who genuinely do have an "agenda" against me. :p Or maybe you're sensible and ignore them? ;)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What a bizarre thread. Do people seriously get wound up by an Internet Forum? Of the two mentioned in this thread I like Perm's style of posting, usually short and straight to the point. Although I think Richard often posts the most infernal drivel it's not like the World is coming to an end and people who are genuinely disturbed by it probably have a much more deep-seated problem somewhere else in their life.:mellow:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

(violence is wrong)
I'm totally against this sort of behaviour. But if you insist on beating Richard to death with a cricket bat I can only request that you do it with a textbook cricket shot and not some sort of hybrid crossbat swipe. I don't want this to descend into a mire of first-chance averages and whether you are better at killing someone with a cricket bat than executioner Y whose technique is nigh on perfect, even though his success rate is 7%.

Status
Not open for further replies.