• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard's domination of threads and wanting to have the last word

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasag

RTDAS
Just quietly, I'm not really a fan of these long multi quote posts, mainly in CC. I don't mind long posts, on the contrary from some posters I quiet enjoy them, but ones where each post gets pulled apart...they're impossible to follow and usually I don't bother and sometimes what could have been an excellent 5 paragraph post or so in response to another post just sort of gets lost in these 'Battle of the Quotes'. Not trying to criticise anyone though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nice lad and seems a pleasure to chat to off the forum (on the few times I have done so).

However, his posting style is the most detrimental thing happening to Cricket chat.

Varied insightful cricket discussion is usually killed by the domination of one person in a thread and how threads turn into ten or more pages of back and forth rubbish overnight.

I dramatically reduced my posting in CC as I didnt see much point in posting and I didnt want to get dragged into the inevitable handbag fights.

Fair to say, Im not the only one with either reduced or complete stop in posting because of this issue.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Nice lad and seems a pleasure to chat to off the forum (on the few times I have done so).

However, his posting style is the most detrimental thing happening to Cricket chat.

Varied insightful cricket discussion is usually killed by the domination of one person in a thread and how threads turn into ten or more pages of back and forth rubbish overnight.

I dramatically reduced my posting in CC as I didnt see much point in posting and I didnt want to get dragged into the inevitable handbag fights.

Fair to say, Im not the only one with either reduced or complete stop in posting because of this issue.
Pretty much agree with all of this. He seems like a nice enough guy but, as I've mentioned before, I left CW for quite some time because of his posting style and don't visit CC that much anymore once again due that same reason. That said, despite all the jokes and shots, I'm not quite in the same anti-Richard club that some others seem to be, but thats not to say I wouldn't scrutinize him for his counter-productive posting all over CC had he been doing this on Planet Cricket.

Bobisback

International Regular
Pretty much agree with all of this. He seems like a nice enough guy but, as I've mentioned before, I left CW for quite some time because of his posting style and don't visit CC that much anymore once again due that same reason. That said, despite all the jokes and shots, I'm not quite in the same anti-Richard club that some others seem to be, but thats not to say I wouldn't scrutinize him for his counter-productive posting all over CC had he been doing this on Planet Cricket.
Someone please point me in the direction of the membership applications. Dont worry, i have my own pen.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
no worries at all with the blokes posting habits. The man has strong points and strongly believes in them even if he may be wrong at times, his persistence is one of the things that keeps cricket chat going IMO, when i first came on this site fellas like him TEC, Pickup, Faaip were very impressive & informative with their knowledge of the of the sport. A really student of the game i'd say.

Keep it gangsta rich don't let these hataz get you down son...

Piper

International Captain
Yes, Richard dominates threads. But what I find more annoying than anything is people continuely moaning about it. Did anyone moan when Marc had 30,000 posts? No.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, sure he posts a lot and I can admit that his posting style can irritate me on occasions, but it certainly doesn't warrant the amount of crap that goes his way all the time. Not to mention he's a nice guy that I don't think means to annoy anyone

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tbh, i was wondering if he had a view on peoples opinions. I didnt want to hear the views, was just curious, so his post helped me.
Someone please point me in the direction of the membership applications. Dont worry, i have my own pen.
If you've got nothing constructive to contribute, we'd all be that much better-off without your innate ramblings.

Either way... as promised, some stuff that comes to mind reading the (sensible) posts in this thread... Manju, I warn you here and now - don't go on. :p

With regards the birthdays... something I've been thinking for a while: it'd be a good idea to have "The *Official* Birthday Thread" or something along those lines. Does get a bit tiresome with new threads ATT, but I don't like to do birthdays for "the big posters" and ignore those for those who post less. Who's to say who's inactive? Sam made me a birthday thread in September 2005 when I hadn't posted for months, and I eventually read it and it was very nice to do so. Likewise, I tend to think anyone who has at one time been a heavyweight (be it Jesse who's disappeared without trace or Marc who's announced his departure) it's still nice to say happy birthday. Sure, they might not read it, but you never know.

But yes, it would be quite excellent to round-up all those pesky birthday threads, merge 'em into one, and just keep it in one from now on, from my POV. And I'll happily do the collating too if, understandibly, there's a CBA-factor from the Mods. :p Let's put it to the poll.

What Jack says is something I kinda tried to say earlier on, and not surprisingly he put it better. This, beyond question, is something people are going to get sick of, and if Rob is, even to a lesser extent than most, this tells you something. But this isn't that surprising - heck, I get sick of saying "Hayden's crap" 50 times a month, especially when it's usually the same people (person?) who it ends-up in a rehash-of-exactly-what's-been-said-before. The trouble is, it's impossible to avoid the matter being touched-on. It just boils down to this: I must make an effort, very forcibly so, to say "but we're not doing this all over again" rather than simply plunging into it.

With regards to what Gelman says about the broken-down-quote thing... I'm well aware it's something you don't like, we've discussed the matter often enough - this is unfortunate, as it's something I myself much prefer. It's so much easier, from my POV, to break quotes down rather than having multiple paragraphs saying 30 different things. The reason it can look so daunting to the non-participant is because multiple quotes take-up way, way more space and as a result 3 or 4 lines becomes 15 or so. There's only ever been a handful willing to engage in them with me, though - tec back in t' day more than anyone, and KaZo recently.

It's greatly disappointing to hear that my posting style causes the loss of good posters like Kev and np10. I confess, in the latter case, it's something I only hear of now. I'd not taken note of any reduction on your part, you seem to me to be as active in the threads I'd expect you in now as ever.

Either way, I can't really do much about it. I'm either here, or I'm not. As I said - I'll make a great effort to put a stop to the same old things - be it Hayden, be it non-international-class sides, be it first-chance records, be it MacGill, be it Harmison, be it whatever else. If you simply dislike the fact that I have a high postcount, and that I don't stop at one post if someone responds to a post I've made... there's really not a lot anyone can do. It just doesn't occur to me that this is a problem, and TBH it baffles and disappoints me that anyone feels it is. If a Mod (at whatever site) took me to task for it, my reaction would be simple: not much point me being on this forum then.

There's even a trouble with the former part of it, though: there are always more people who do want to discuss the issue, and haven't heard what I have to say on it before. It seems borderline impolite to say "I've discussed this before and you're a n00b so all I've got to say is you should have been here earlier". It's one or the other: you patronise the n00b, or you annoy the heck out of long-term posters who don't deserve to have to read the same stuff over and over. And having "the official Rich-bashes-Hayden thread" or "the official Rich's-why-Test-standard-teams-only-should-have-Test-stats-considered thread" seems a bit silly, really, not to mention the fact that it basically says "here's a place where no-one else need post".

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty restrained and mature, if stubborn, answer. Certainly cant fault you on that

... there's really not a lot anyone can do. It just doesn't occur to me that this is a problem.
Wouldnt this thread be a clue?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Count me in the "pro" Richard club. I think his high post count keeps the forum alive. Whether you agree with his theories/arguments or not, he's clearly a smart fella and argues his point intelligently (also tirelessly to some people's annoyance I gather). He's also very civil. For someone that gets attacked as often as he, Richard shows remarkable restraint on the forum. That is evident even in this thread and his conversation with Pratyush. It's always puzzled me why people can't simply ignore his posts when they get tired of them. I'll admit, as much as I like him, I don't always want to read the page long back-and-forth arguments he sometimes has. On those occasions, I simply ignore the posts and move on. I think it would be a dangerous precedent to ask a poster to stop arguing a point (if he's not being abusive). That would require a judgment call that would surely cause controversy. Besides, Richard seems to recognize that people sometimes get annoyed by his posting habits and he has said that he's trying to change. Give him credit for that at least.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's always puzzled me why people can't simply ignore his posts when they get tired of them. I'll admit, as much as I like him, I don't always want to read the page long back-and-forth arguments he sometimes has. On those occasions, I simply ignore the posts and move on.
I should add here that I wouldn't dream of hoping everyone reads these sorts of things. I'd be truly astonished if anyone did. I myself read most of the (Cricket Chat) forum, but the minute a thread becomes principally about two (or even three) posters I leave them to it, and I don't begrudge them their solitude for a second, nor do I view it as "taking over" a thread. Let them discuss what they want. This is a public message-board, meaning everyone can read whatever they want, and also not read whatever they want.
I think it would be a dangerous precedent to ask a poster to stop arguing a point (if he's not being abusive). That would require a judgment call that would surely cause controversy.
Glad to hear you think so TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wouldnt this thread be a clue?
I should, perhaps, have said "until now". I still, mind, feel that those who do feel it is a problem as such are, without trying to be too critical, being unreasonable. I've said it several times - it's unfair, IMO, to say that one person shouldn't have any right to post more than others. And also to say that if they do post a lot it's automatically a problem.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I would be very surprised if Richard's posts comprised even 5% of the posts in Cricket Chat. Simply put I feel its damn near impossible for a single poster to dominate a forum, and despite Richard's best efforts, he is not overwhelming all other discourse in cricket chat.

In fact, I feel the threads in which Richard is probably most dominant are those in which there is relatively little discussion in the first place. Such a contribution is in no way detrimental, imo.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, Richard dominates threads. But what I find more annoying than anything is people continuely moaning about it. Did anyone moan when Marc had 30,000 posts? No.
You're confused. Admittedly I wasn't really active at the same time as a Marc, but from what I can gather is that he didn't consistenly push his opinions across and dominate threads. It doesn't have a lot to do with post counts, because I don't hear too many people complaining about other posters with high post counts.

David

International 12th Man
I should, perhaps, have said "until now". I still, mind, feel that those who do feel it is a problem as such are, without trying to be too critical, being unreasonable. I've said it several times - it's unfair, IMO, to say that one person shouldn't have any right to post more than others. And also to say that if they do post a lot it's automatically a problem.
The issue at hand isn't your post count, it's your seemingly unreasonable insistence on having the last word, and as such continuing to argue a point ad nauseam. This whole shindig has gone a little OT. Pratyush's original post just used your post count in certain threads as an example of the way you "dominate" those threads which you participate in.

Status
Not open for further replies.